• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations that have lost 'request stop' status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

When I joined RailfourmsUK I considered my ID on this site and I took the name "Requeststop" as I was so peed off at my home station Lelant being turned into a request stop because of the goddamned awful concrete monstrosity at the Saltings and the Park and Ride fiasco to St Ives.

But hooray, very soon, Lelant is to loose its request stop status and to become once again a full bodied, look me in the eye, regular stopping station, in which passengers will no longer have to signal to the train driver that I want the train to stop at the platform, or ask the guard/conductor to tell the driver that I want the train to stop to disembark from the train.

Oh how I wish that time and distance would mean that I could be the last to request the train to stop at Lelant and next morning to be the first to just stand at the platform and wait for the train to stop just for me. Sadly it will not be so, but I do hope some bighearted people will organize something for the occasion of the last call as a request stop. It could be fun, with the incentive of a couple of pints up the Hill at The Badger beforehand.

So; Are there other stations that have lost their request stop status? Did passenger numbers increase when the status was dropped? I'd be very interested to know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Realfish

As I recall (I think I am right*), years and years ago, when it first opened, Butlers Lane, on the Cross City line was a request stop, named Butlers Lane Halt. Since renamed Butlers Lane, yes it is extremely busy. *Happy for others to advise otherwise.

dk1

Veteran Member
Haddiscoe was a request stop for two years in the early 2000s. Recently Brundall Gardens, Salhouse & Roughton Road during leaffall for one season only in 2016. Train crew& passengers paid no attention and stopped as normal so never brought back. WSP fitting of DMUs has negated the problem.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Haddiscoe was a request stop for two years in the early 2000s. Recently Brundall Gardens, Salhouse & Roughton Road during leaffall for one season only in 2016. Train crew& passengers paid no attention and stopped as normal so never brought back. WSP fitting of DMUs has negated the problem.
I'd have thought making a call by request only would worsen leaf fall problems, if someone emerges from the shelter at the last moment and the driver has to slam on the brakes...

According to Wikipedia Avoncliff lost its request status in 2010, although the short platform still means the guard asks passengers intending to alight to come to a specific door. As passenger numbers increase it's more and more likely that someone will want to board and alight at a particular stop, so eventually having it as a request stop is just a hassle with no benefit.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ones which I can think off the top of my head:
St Andrews Road
Denton
Reddish South [the old Fridays only Stockport - Stalybridge had these two shown as request stops, but I believe since last May when the service changed to Saturdays, they were both made into non-request stops]

[Isn't Kidwelly also meant to be losing its request stop status at some point?]

civ-eng-jim

Are there any request stop stations which have a greater patronage than a timetabled stop station?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Are there any request stop stations which have a greater patronage than a timetabled stop station?

Conwy normally pops up, but considering the current '10 least used' stations, only Denton & Reddish South were request stops during that period.

vikingdriver

I'd have thought making a call by request only would worsen leaf fall problems, if someone emerges from the shelter at the last moment and the driver has to slam on the brakes...

According to Wikipedia Avoncliff lost its request status in 2010, although the short platform still means the guard asks passengers intending to alight to come to a specific door. As passenger numbers increase it's more and more likely that someone will want to board and alight at a particular stop, so eventually having it as a request stop is just a hassle with no benefit.

I believe that Avoncliff changed as SPAD mitigation as it has a stop signal at the end of the platform heading towards Bath.

LUYMun

Just a question, would any of the halts that existed before the Beeching Axe needed request to the driver/guard for alighting or disembarking?

Rail Ranger

Ashley, Mobberley, Lostock Gralam and Delamere stations were request stops from 2000 to 2010.

Crossover

Established Member
Burneside (on the Windermere branch) certainly used to be a request stop until relatively recently. Not sure if Kendal and Staveley were too

LowLevel

Established Member
A number of the Nottingham to Lincoln halts were request stops until the mid 2000s.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Huncoat was a request stop until a few years ago.

I used Gowerton station some years ago just after it had its second platform added, and there was still a sign up then that said it was a request stop, although it wasn't.
Burneside (on the Windermere branch) certainly used to be a request stop until relatively recently. Not sure if Kendal and Staveley were too
I believe that Staveley was, and this status was dropped from them at the same time a while ago (less than 10 years). I don't think Kendal was, or if it if was it was in the mists of time.

Barnsley

On The Skegness line, Havenhouse, Thorpe Culvert, Hubberts Bridge, Swineshead, Heckington, Rauceby and Ancaster were at one point aswell, and on the Cumbrian Coast, at one point only Maryport, Workington, Whitehaven, Millom and Askam were compulsory stops

Aureol Colin

As I recall it was once possible to request London to Liverpool expresses stop at Mossley Hill

Veteran Member
Just a question, would any of the halts that existed before the Beeching Axe needed request to the driver/guard for alighting or disembarking?
Can't think of any offhand, though I have a feeling there were a few. There were certainly stations and halts where individual trains called on request only, sometimes specifically for long distance passengers.

LancasterRed

Can't remember where for the life of me, but a few between Blackburn and Colne have been made full stops Burnley Barracks maybe?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Tal - Y - Cafn isn't a request stop on the way south to Blaenau anymore, the train has to stop at the station to get permission to proceed over the crossing, on the return back North it is still a request stop.

I doubt their are many requests stops in one direction only....that's another thread! :)

mlambeuk

Most of the stops between Great Ayton and Whitby used to be request stops on the Esk valley line

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Tal - Y - Cafn isn't a request stop on the way south to Blaenau anymore, the train has to stop at the station to get permission to proceed over the crossing, on the return back North it is still a request stop.

I doubt their are many requests stops in one direction only....that's another thread! :)

Quintrell Downs on the Newquay branch is similar I think.

(Happy to be corrected as I cannot consult the timetable at the moment!)

Crossover

Established Member
I believe that Staveley was, and this status was dropped from them at the same time a while ago (less than 10 years). I don't think Kendal was, or if it if was it was in the mists of time.

I remember calling at one of them on a 185 where it was "local" (one door in the middle of the set) door operation as it was request. Wiki reckons Burneside was request until 2012

vlad

Longport was a request stop for a few years in the 1990s-2000s. I think they only started trains calling there again after Etruria was permanently bustituted.

The 2018 Caledonian Sleeper timetable had the unusual footnote "This station is no longer a request stop" (or similar) for Corrour. However, I'm not sure if it was ever a request stop for Scotrail.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Quintrell Downs on the Newquay branch is similar I think.

(Happy to be corrected as I cannot consult the timetable at the moment!)

I think all the week day trains stop in both directions Saturday HST en route to new quay in summer have to stop there to activate the crossing. It is not a request stop though as passengers don't alight or board. So similar but not quite the same.

Kite159

Veteran Member

A few on the Heart of Wales are request in one direction only due to level crossings

-------

For Staveley & Burneside, I can recall the TPE 185s having "request stop" over the station logos on the old route maps

Status
Not open for further replies.