• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations to avoid and why

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM70

Established Member
The other bad thing about Victoria is the fancy new roof - if you’re under it when it rains heavily you’ll either get wet because it leaks, or be unable to hear anything because it’s like being inside a drum.

And totally agree about Moston, horrid station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Mention of the DC lines reminds me of an anecdote one of my colleagues told me at the time (?mid-1980s).

The station (at the Southern end) had a ticket collector and a booking clerk. Ticket collector in public area, booking clerk in office behind small window.
Man arrives at station, stands at booking office window and points gun at ticket collector. He says to booking clerk 'hand over the money or I shoot him'.
Booking clerk says something like, 'nothing to me, go ahead'.
Would-be robber, confused, ran off. Probably thought more deeply about threat outcomes afterwards. Staff relations not good afterwards.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Mention of the DC lines reminds me of an anecdote one of my colleagues told me at the time (?mid-1980s).

The station (at the Southern end) had a ticket collector and a booking clerk. Ticket collector in public area, booking clerk in office behind small window.
Man arrives at station, stands at booking office window and points gun at ticket collector. He says to booking clerk 'hand over the money or I shoot him'.
Booking clerk says something like, 'nothing to me, go ahead'.
Would-be robber, confused, ran off. Probably thought more deeply about threat outcomes afterwards. Staff relations not good afterwards.

Kilburn High Road I reckon ?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I think it was, but can't remember for certain. My source was someone who did booking office audit checks.

An interesting station , shall we say. Mind you audit checks down there could be "interesting" ......(so I am told by those who managed those stations) - the proximity of licensed premises , bookies and shops made a heady combination for some staff. All retired now of course.!!!!

SoccerHQ

Was trying to think of a really grim one I got off once on outskirts of Glasgow, thought it was Dalmarnock but looking at the map think it's Rutherglen, utterly grim placed right under M74.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Was trying to think of a really grim one I got off once on outskirts of Glasgow, thought it was Dalmarnock but looking at the map think it's Rutherglen, utterly grim placed right under M74.

Although Dalmarnock isn't that much better, half the platforms in a tunnel with the other half in a cutting. Similar to Charing Cross (Glasgow).

_-----

London Victoria, mainly the high numbered Southern platforms. Concourse isn't big enough for volume of passengers flow, especially those passengers with oversized suitcases.

leytongabriel

Have to mention the recently closed and largely unloved Angel Road. Completely cut off from anywhere by the North Circular Rd and it's tributaries and accessed from an industrial area by a dismal footpath. The footbridge to the southbound platfrom was then some distance down the platform. No train info on platforms as I remember it. And a limited rush-hour only service. You had to be brave and determined to use it.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I saw on another thread a reference to a station as SGB, which meaning nothing to me I Googled on- well!!!
Smethwick Galton Bridge- described on websites as:
- Useless signage
- Steep stairs, once you find them
- Urine- soaked
- Cold benches
Is there a thread already for 'worst stations'?
Is there any way of knowing if anything gets done to improve matters?
Any 'update' on SGB conditions?

http://foursquare.com/v/smethwick-galton-bridge-railway-station-sgb/4b06e477f964a52059f222e3

I use SGB fairly often for various reasons, and have never really noticed any of the aforementioned shortcomings you mention in your post, not to an extent more than any other station anyway.. In fact, I have always found it to be quite a pleasant station! :D

London Euston - simply because you stand an even chance of being denied boarding with a valid ticket; some gateline staff refuse to accept that they might possibly not know all permitted routes!

I agree. Staff can be complete ar*eholes there, that’s why I find out where my train is departing from well before it’s announced. That way, I avoid the scrum of passengers and the staff. I did this once, and a member of staff who was on the platform got all funny and tried to clear me off. I stayed put.

London Fenchurch Street is pretty nasty - Claustrophobic and there's no direct link to the Tube/DLR.

I agree, the link (or lack of) to the nearest underground is slightly inconvenient. That said, it’s not a station I use much.

St. Pancras: an overcrowded shopping centre which is rumoured to have some trains hidden in there somewhere.

Whilst not bad in architecture and the range of shops, it can be a bit of a workout getting to where you need to be.

:lol:

Blackpool North, in my own experience.

Absolute hole of a station, and town. Had the misfortune of using it once. Do they still close off the platforms until the train is there? Always found this bizarre.

Overpool.
Unstaffed, not much more than 2 platforms and a waiting shelter. Hidden from the main road and very well populated by the unsavoury local clientele...

Ahh. Lovely Overpool. I live about a mile away, but strangely haven’t had the need to use this station much as my local is Capenhurst. There have been reports of things going on there though due to the unsavoury characters you mention! And fare-dodging is rife between here and Ellesmere Port.

For me, I don’t really like Ellesmere Port station itself any time after dark. Not that I have much need to use it. A lot of dodgy characters and a really sketchy alleyway nearby. The location half under a road-bridge doesn’t help either.

In my last job, I had to survey all of the station in North Wales. There were a few there that I wasn’t too keen on either. Colwyn Bay was one station that was in need of a lot of things doing to it, as well as (in my eyes) poor staff facilities. Rhyl, on the other hand, to say it’s in a dive of a town, was the best station of the lot!

Mikey C

Established Member
London Fenchurch Street is pretty nasty - Claustrophobic and there's no direct link to the Tube/DLR.

Though to be fair for many of its regular users in the City, it's incredibly well located. For City workers, the convenience of a direct train to the likes of Fenchurch Street or Cannon Street is far more important than the niceness of the station itself...

In comparison Marylebone is a much nicer station, but very poorly located a long way from anywhere and directly served by only one tube line.

Mikey C

Established Member
Have to mention the recently closed and largely unloved Angel Road. Completely cut off from anywhere by the North Circular Rd and it's tributaries and accessed from an industrial area by a dismal footpath. The footbridge to the southbound platfrom was then some distance down the platform. No train info on platforms as I remember it. And a limited rush-hour only service. You had to be brave and determined to use it.

That was truly dreadful. I remember boosting its dismal passenger numbers on what was meant to be its last day! Such a desolate area, and really creepy to be all alone on a London platform

I can't think of any other London stations remotely comparable, the poorly served stations on the line to Marylebone in the Sudbury Hill are at least in a reasonably pleasant area.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That was truly dreadful. I remember boosting its dismal passenger numbers on what was meant to be its last day! Such a desolate area, and really creepy to be all alone on a London platform

I can't think of any other London stations remotely comparable, the poorly served stations on the line to Marylebone in the Sudbury Hill are at least in a reasonably pleasant area.
Malden Manor on the Chessington branch isn't as bad as that, but the immediate surroundings (the Sunray estate) is not the nicest part of south west London. I suppose the station itself is a refuge (a ray of sunshine, one could say ;) ) on that basis!

op13200

Meriden Water will be a life saver for that area of london as at least now it has a pleasant station and a regular(ish) train service !

greyman42

Established Member
Although Dalmarnock isn't that much better, half the platforms in a tunnel with the other half in a cutting. Similar to Charing Cross (Glasgow).
Dalmarnock was upgraded for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. It was truly awful before then.

route101

Established Member
Condition surveys for MEP works. I’m not sure what happened after as I have since left the organisation. This was my last project before I left.

Is there much work as Building Surveyors on the Railways?

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Is there much work as Building Surveyors on the Railways?

I wasn’t working for the railway, I was working for an engineering consultancy at the time and we were commissioned by TfW to undertake their surveys. It was a very enjoyable few months to be honest, better than the usual desk-bound duties!

scotrail158713

Established Member
I always used to find Dundee grim. It’s been upgraded in the last couple of years so is better now though.

Sprinter107

Anyone for some of the GMPTE stations like Trafford Park, Moston and Kearsley?
I've got off at Trafford Park, in the afternoon though, and it didnt seem any worse than a lot of stations. I suppose it takes on a different atmosphere at night. Never got off at Moston or Kearsley, are they problem stations ?

bramling

Veteran Member
I've got off at Trafford Park, in the afternoon though, and it didnt seem any worse than a lot of stations. I suppose it takes on a different atmosphere at night. Never got off at Moston or Kearsley, are they problem stations ?

Trafford Park and Moston are dire - and the same can be said for the surrounding area. Personally wouldn’t have found Kearsley as bad, but others may know better. Humphrey Park and Mills Hill aren’t much better either.

Same can be said for Flowery Field, Newton for Hyde, Godley and Hattersley.

I’d say these are the worst in Manchester.

Some on the Robin Hood Line are probably worse though - Langwith Whaley Thorns in particular due to its secluded location.

_toommm_

Established Member
Flowery Field

Haha, you should come back! They’ve ‘upgraded’ it by putting green spiked fencing around it, and removed the ticket machine permanently as it got smashed within a fortnight of it being installed!

I’d be happy to give you a guided tour when I’m over there ;)

DH1Commuter

4yrs ago I did a stint of work in Langwith and Creswell, and used the Robin Hood Line several times a week. On winter evenings c1800hrs LWT was secluded but always a handful of passengers on the platforms, so not entering creepy/ASBO territory. On spring/summer evenings it is a bit of a sun-trap and the sound of birdsong and smell of the surrounding woods, grasses and gorse, warmed by the sun, was actually quite pleasant.

Scotrail12

I'm in the Glasgow area so would say the following stations:
  • Coatbridge Central - my 2nd nearest station and occasionally use it to get into Glasgow (since the Hamilton route is much more interesting than the East End) and it's just awful. 1tph, broken shelter windows, flooded shelters, mouldy passageways, clearly never maintained.
  • Anderston - Often on the Argyle Line and whilst I've never actually got off there, it stands out when I pass it as fairly unpleasant. The ticket hall is also underneath the M8 which isn't visually appealing, extremely dark. Glad that it seems to be getting refurbed next year.
  • Glasgow Queen St Ll - Could be good once the High Level works are done, but been a nightmare to use for the past 2 years and also freezing to wait for long in.
  • Charing Cross - Dirty, full of pigeons, badly designed, long staircase. Used to go to school nearby and intentionally avoided it - went the longer walk to QST instead.
  • Dalmarnock - was refurbed but I don't get a good vibe from passing through there and it seems to be prone to flooding.

ChilternTurbo

I have to travel to Sunderland quite regularly for work and find the station there most dispiriting to use. Dingy and fume filled, I had to spend 90 minutes of my life there recently whilst waiting for a heavily delayed Grand Central service back to London. It's one saving grace is the funky art installation consisting of a back-lit glass wall that gives the impression of people walking past but it wasn't working whilst I waiting there...

Mikey C

Established Member
I have to travel to Sunderland quite regularly for work and find the station there most dispiriting to use. Dingy and fume filled, I had to spend 90 minutes of my life there recently whilst waiting for a heavily delayed Grand Central service back to London. It's one saving grace is the funky art installation consisting of a back-lit glass wall that gives the impression of people walking past but it wasn't working whilst I waiting there...
Agreed

When you consider the shabby and mediocre buildings above the station, it would be nice to demolish the lot and at least partially open the platforms up the elements again.

iainbhx

Do you have a source for this?

Edit: a source has now been provided. I would take many of those comments with a pinch of salt as I've not noticed any particular issues when I've changed trains there.

I change there around three times a week before Coronvirus, certainly not noticed the urine smell, but yes, the benches are very, very cold, the signage certainly seems to confuse people every day and after dark the station doesn't feel that safe. Mind you, safer than outside the station which was a bit of a mugging hotspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.