• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations to get photos of a Class 70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJRB

Established Member
Hi all,

I was wondering where a good place to get a photo of a Class 70 would be, preferably not too far from Ashford in Kent, if possible. I understand there aren't many (if any at all) Class 70 workings through Ashford, so any recommendations would be appreciated. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
Eastleigh was great for me.
AFAIK all northbound container trains have to stop where I've pictured that 70.

Attachments

• eastleigh 032.jpg
    eastleigh 032.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 69

TheJRB

Established Member
Ipswich is good, with 4 sightings during the daytime on a weekday.

Went to Ipswich on Wednesday and well... I haven't got a photo of a 70 yet! :( :lol:

I heard we missed 70009 by ten minutes as well. Saw quite a lot of other interesting freight though.

TGVDUDE

Also 70s becoming a more frequent operator in South Wales, Newport/Cardiff being your best bet with Coal workings to/from Margam & Modal Workings from Wentloog, not forgetting the coal workings to Bristol that head through Severn Tunnel Junction :)

Crossover

Established Member
I wasn't going to mention somewhere so far north but since further away has been mentioned, I may as well say Stafford - OK, not many but its the place I managed to get my only pic of a 70

Best place I have seen thus far (albeit from a train) is the Midland Road depot where a few of th brand new ones were lined up between Christmas and New Year, surrounded also by a good number of 66's :P

TheJRB

Established Member
Went to Stratford to see a booked 70 working and was unlucky again. I think a 90 was hauling it instead.

Eventually I'll see one in person!

455driver

Veteran Member
Loughborough is quite good at the moment with them being dragged there for fire damage repairs! :lol:

Oh you mean working on service trains, sorry I cant help you there.

TheJRB

Established Member
I saw a 70 at Walsall last month but I have no clue how common that is. A double headed 66 went through shortly before; I think one of the locomotives had failed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.