• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations where all (or most) trains call

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
A lot of stations in Scotland have every train call.

Off the top of my head, Aberdeen, Arbroath, Dundee, Perth, Stirling, Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Queen St LL, Glasgow Central LL...

Of course, I'll happily stand corrected if I'm wrong about any of these!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Oxford Road has everything apart from the really stupidly early Airport-Liverpool expresses AFAIK

Number5

A lot of stations in Scotland have every train call.

Off the top of my head, Aberdeen, Arbroath, Dundee, Perth, Stirling, Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Queen St LL, Glasgow Central LL...

Of course, I'll happily stand corrected if I'm wrong about any of these!
Partick station has every train stop at it, bar one, the 0818 Milngavie to Edinburgh (SX).

EltonRoad

0820 off Ipswich (0740 ex Norwich, The East Anglian) runs straight through to Liverpool Street without stopping (so also misses out Colchester); the 1700 return is also non-stop to Ipswich.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Newport and Cardiff Central must qualify surely. Everything that goes west of Severn Tunnel stops there. The Newport > Cardiff run (and vice versa) must be one of the most well-served local connections in the UK.

Todmorden has every single train stop (3tph). They're well used as well.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
One I can think of is North Walsham, I don't think any services in normal timetable go straight through. I stand to be corrected though.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
One I can think of is North Walsham, I don't think any services in normal timetable go straight through. I stand to be corrected though.

Nope, same for Haoveton & Wroxham, Cromer (oddly enough) and Sheringham (oddly enough again). Trains are only scheduled to pass West Runton non-stop on high summer Sundays.

caliwag

HaHa...I'm going to be oldist here, but I bet Perth doesn't have any trains running through...though, it has to be said, back in 1962 a WD 2-8-0 meandered down the avoider with a passenger 'special'...could have been a troop train I suppose.

Sorry. I'll get my coat!

marks87

Established Member
Actually, I should perhaps correct myself -- while the Fort William portions of the Highland sleeper do stop at Edinburgh Waverley as "day" trains, the others don't. So technically, there's four services that stop in Waverley, but don't call.

Ivo

Established Member
The eastbound Capitals United from Swansea [some capital :lol:] to Paddington is fast from Swindon. This makes it possibly the only train to skip Reading. 70 miles away, the 0520 from Bristol, the (former?) 0608 from Westbury, skips Bath, which was until May effectively a compulsory stop for all non-diverted traffic.

Back home, on the c2c route, most trains call at Basildon, apart from a few peak services (including the 1700 and 1730 from London), and literally a couple run fast through Tilbury Town and East Tilbury. In years gone by though, a partially skip-stop pattern existed in Southend; to give an example, in the June 1996 timetable the 1726 from London did not call at Chalkwell or Southend Central.

Another one would be the Harwich route, on which trains timed to meet ferries often do not serve the local stations on the route. And speaking of ferry connections, trains connecting with Fishguard ferries skip all manner of stations, with the 1057 from Cardiff calling only at Llanelli and Whitland and thus skipping Bridgend and Port Talbot Parkway and using avoiding lines to skip Neath, Swansea and Carmarthen.

trc666

Exeter Central has all trains call there except for the Sundays only 21:15 London Waterloo - Exeter St. Davids which runs non-stop from Whimple to Exeter St. Davids.

Tisbury, Gillingham Dorset, Templecombe and Sherborne also have all trains calling except the 22:57 Exeter St. Davids - Salisbury (23:15 on Sundays) which runs non-stop from Yeovil Junction to Salisbury, but I believe the timing allows for this train to be diverted via Yeovil Pen Mill and Westbury if there are engineering works.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Brough comes to mind, 8tph including services to London, Manchester, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Doncaster from Hull, Bridlington and Scarborough. Seems a bit much for an overgrown village!

autotank

The eastbound Capitals United from Swansea [some capital :lol:] to Paddington is fast from Swindon. This makes it possibly the only train to skip Reading.

The 0715 HST from Didcot Parkway runs non-stop from Tilehurst to Maidenhead having stopped at Cholsey, Goring and Pangbourne.

Schnellzug

Established Member
For part 2 of the question, Winchester and Southampton Airport Parkway are basically all trains stop, except for those odd up direction XCs that can't be pathed to include calls.

but in the Old Days, paradoxically, Southampton Airport was the only station between Surbiton & Bournemouth that the Waterloo-Bounrnemouth stoopers didn't call at; the only ones that did were the semi-fasts.

dvboy

Established Member
don't think there are any trains pass through Wolverhampton without stopping anymore. There used to be an XC Birmingham-Manchester that didn't.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Brough comes to mind, 8tph including services to London, Manchester, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Doncaster from Hull, Bridlington and Scarborough. Seems a bit much for an overgrown village!

Apart from the 0736 Manchester Piccadilly-Hull, which skips Brough to allow the train enough time at Hull to ensure that the return working leaves on time.

MadCommuter

All trains through Rutherglen call, except the 0807 Larkhall - Anderston, 1704 Anderston - Lanark and 0805 Carstairs - Garscadden (all M-F).

Its 3 trains, thought it still worth mentioning.

Ivo

Established Member
Audley End sees very few, if any, services run straight through. The station is over a mile from the town it serves, Saffron Walden (itself one-and-a-half times smaller than Didcot), which already has a high car owndership due to the relative affluence of the area. Even XC services call there.

The 0715 HST from Didcot Parkway runs non-stop from Tilehurst to Maidenhead having stopped at Cholsey, Goring and Pangbourne.

:shock:

dcd

Chandler's Ford all trains stop it only serves the Romsey - Salisbury 1tph in each direction.

trc666

Haslemere also has all trains call except for the (Mondays only?) 00:50 London Waterloo - Portsmouth Harbour which runs non-stop from Guildford to Havant.

Eng274

Inverkeithing has 4tph at least (in each direction) which it doesn't particularly need. In recent years the edinburgh-aberdeens have started to miss out inverkeithing meaning passengers between south gyle and kinghorn/cardenden now have to change at kirkcaldy - not really a loss, since kirkcaldy is served 2tph on inner circle plus the occasional perth express.

SS4

Established Member
Gravelly Hill has one train per week that doesn't call - the 0635 off BHM on a Saturday

Robinson

Hyndland has most trains call there except a handful of peak services: 1 each in the morning from Milngavie and Balloch and 1 each in the evening to Balloch and Helensburgh Central (M-F). At weekends everything passing through calls.

On a related theme, whenever I've used the Helensburgh service (Mondays to Saturdays during the day running non-stop from Dalmuir to Hyndland) I've often noticed that they always get red-signalled in Jordanhill station going south-east. Occasionally people have mistakenly thought the doors were about to be opened!

Rich_D3167

Every passenger train calls at Barnetby, which considering the size of the village, is quite impressive. 1TPH Cleethorpes - Manchester Airport, 1TP2H Grimsby Town - Lincoln/Newark Northgate, & 3 Saturday-only Cleethorpes - Sheffield via Gainsborough Central. It is labelled as the station for Humberside Airport, but considering it's nearly 4 miles away from it, it isn't of much benefit!

richw

Veteran Member
May of been mentioned but st erth in cornwall, I believe has everything call at. St erth is a tiny village (but the start of the st ives branchline). Hayle the next stop only a mile or so away which is a considerably larger town gets very few stopping services.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.