• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations where trains only commence service/terminate service when heading from/to a Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greaterwest

Established Member
I believe the 0650 Southampton Airport Parkway to London Waterloo came straight from Northam depot. From mid 2019, this was formed of class 442 stock which ran empty from Bournemouth before being cancelled entirely as part of the COVID train plan in early 2020.

Weybridge platform 2 is used for terminating trains from the Chertsey branch at night when the train is due to go back to Wimbledon depot.

There used to be a service from Petersfield to London in the morning which ran empty from Northam Depot to Petersfield though I'm not sure that counts as it's not really the "first" place that train could enter service.

Dave W

First and last Chilterns starting/terminating at Stourbridge and going straight to/from depot rather than going on to Kidderminster? Is that still a thing, and does it meet the requirements of the thread?

GordonT

First and last Chilterns starting/terminating at Stourbridge and going straight to/from depot rather than going on to Kidderminster? Is that still a thing, and does it meet the requirements of the thread?
Criteria of the thread is met provided only these depot-associated journeys start/finish at Stourbridge (assuming they still operate in this fashion).

Melancholia

Worcestershire Parkway HL. AFAIK the last Paddington to Worcester service terminates there vice Shrub Hill or Foregate St in order to run straight into the sidings.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
West Byfleet used to have a train that entered service there that had run empties all the way from Northam depot. Nothing else started/terminated there. I think that was done away with in the post-Covid timetables though.

jonnyfan

Chinley is one, there is a service in the early morning that starts there, the unit comes from the depot. And in the evening there is a service that terminates at Chinley, where the unit has normally always gone to the depot after - currently with the covid timetable it terminates at Chinley then runs empty to New Mills Central and starts in service again.

Tramfan

Longbenton and South Gosforth are the 2 most common examples on the Tyne & Wear Metro.

Some trains also run empty to Tynemouth to begin service Monday - Saturday, and some start/terminate at Monument Platorm 3/Manors.

DA1

Swanley - Currently a set of empties from Gillingham in the morning at 04.34.

Edit: Although actually I think there’s a set of empties from Blackfriars at the moment so that doesn’t fit the criteria.

Broadstairs?

Bayum

Established Member
Some of the late day 22x terminating in Leeds to Croydon Depot.
EMR HSTs at Leeds.
TPE services at York.

Huntly?

Only one qualifying service a day which originates as ECS from Aberdeen platform 2, which (not being in public use) is sort of like a depot.

Last edited:

RolandR

EMR HSTs at Leeds.
TPE services at York.
EMR HSTs of course no longer go to Leeds for Neville Hill. There used to be 3 trains a day for many years terminating and starting at Leeds.
I was at Leeds station last week and saw an EMR 222 parked on platform 5 that had arrived from St Pancras. I checked RTT and found that it then forms an evening passenger service from Leeds to Derby and then the depot.

Last edited:

Dave W

Criteria of the thread is met provided only these depot-associated journeys start/finish at Stourbridge (assuming they still operate in this fashion).

Then I don't think it does, as there are other terminators through the day at Stourbridge (or there were, pre-covid - it looks like only the two Leamington trains do so at the moment). These generally start from platform 3 (as opposed to the normal platform 2).

Deliberately ignoring the Town branch :)

Jessicas Dad

Depends if the fact that Stirling is used for stabling Scotrail stock makes it a depot?

If does then that covers the Scotrail starting / stopping services, and the only other one (I think) is the morning Azuma service to Kings Cross and the evening return which run from / to Craigentinny so would count?

Ross

GordonT

Depends if the fact that Stirling is used for stabling Scotrail stock makes it a depot?

If does then that covers the Scotrail starting / stopping services, and the only other one (I think) is the morning Azuma service to Kings Cross and the evening return which run from / to Craigentinny so would count?

Ross
Happy for Depots to embrace "stabling points" in the context of the thread.

rower40

Thorpe Bay on LTS. To reduce pressure on the platforms at Shoeburyness, trains can come in/out of the depot at the London End.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
EMR HSTs at Leeds.
TPE services at York.

I think you mean Crofton depot!
See the other post above, no longer correct.
Plenty of planned start/terminate at York for TPE these days.

riceuten

There were/are some Baldock starters/terminators to Kings X to/from Letchworth Carriage sidings in the rush. They generally non-stop Stevenage, but stop at Knebworth & Hitchin.

trainmania100

Established Member
I can't remember the last time it was required but trains can terminate at Preston Park and go into Lover's Walk depot from the north end, and vice versa.
I can't think of any passenger services that terminate / start at Preston park myself either. Although I don't go there much now since moving away a few years ago

But you're right that trains do reverse at Preston park for the depot, this usually is services from the west coastway. I often see 313s there too coming from bognor , up the cliftonville spur and turning back at PRP

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Worcestershire Parkway HL. AFAIK the last Paddington to Worcester service terminates there vice Shrub Hill or Foregate St in order to run straight into the sidings.

The reason that one terminates there is it would arrive after Shrub Hill station would be locked up, agreement with then London Midland in changing the staffing times of Shrub Hill wasn’t possible in the end the so the service was cut back to terminate at Parkway.

CheapAndNerdy

Battersea Park fits, I think. The first LO service of the day (06:33) arrives ECS from Canada Water (dep 05:41), which arrives from New Cross Gate depot (dep 05:29).

Status
Not open for further replies.