• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations where trains only commence service/terminate service when heading from/to a Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Broadstairs
Folkestone Central
Thorpe Bay
Hilsea
Wimbledon
Bristol Parkway

Lewlew

Grange Hill, Ruislip Gardens (Central line)
Waterloo (Bakerloo line)
Gallions Reach (DLR)

Journeyman

Established Member
Seven Sisters, Victoria line - heading to/from Northumberland Park depot, often acting as staff trains.

Established Member
Sandhills, the first train of the day from Kirkdale depot to Hunts Cross and Southport.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Once upon a time this was the situation at South Harrow on the Piccadilly Line (apart from very rare reversals westbound to eastbound to continue back in service; though that must have stopped when the trailing crossover on the viaduct west of the station was removed). Presumably this is still the case.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Sandhills, the first train of the day from Kirkdale depot to Hunts Cross and Southport.
Across the river, Birkenhead Central, Birkenhead North and Hamilton Square each have one train per day which terminates there before going to the depot. After the morning peak at BKC and BKN, at the end of the day at Hamilton Square.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A slight variation on the topic, Ore is now a termination point due to being the limit of electrification... but it only became the limit of electrification due to the depot and stabling sidings there.

Do SWR terminate anything at Teddington or Strawberry Hill at the end of the day? I know both are used as "false" destinations for Kingston rounders, but wondered if anything actually does finish there before going onto Strawberry Hill depot?

Journeyman

Established Member
A slight variation on the topic, Ore is now a termination point due to being the limit of electrification... but it only became the limit of electrification due to the depot and stabling sidings there.

Do SWR terminate anything at Teddington or Strawberry Hill at the end of the day? I know both are used as "false" destinations for Kingston rounders, but wondered if anything actually does finish there before going onto Strawberry Hill depot?
Similarly, Effingham Junction was an originating/terminating point due to the existence of a large EMU shed. I'm not sure anything starts or finishes there any more, but the service pattern certainly outlived the shed.

philthetube

Established Member
Rickmansworth and Wembley Park on the Met, only 1 train daily excludes Harrow on the Hill from the list.

Val3ntine

I believe Strawberry Hill is used as a termination point for late night trains before going into the depot and similarly for services starting in the morning. Same as Staines too.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Whether it will return in the future is unknown, but the first services of the day southbound on Island Line used to start from Ryde St Johns Road after coming out of the depot.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Rickmansworth and Wembley Park on the Met, only 1 train daily excludes Harrow on the Hill from the list.
Some Metropolitan line trains enter service at Finchley Road heading south. Quite a few used to run only one stop to Baker Street although a lot more trains run through to Aldgate now.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Whether it will return in the future is unknown, but the first services of the day southbound on Island Line used to start from Ryde St Johns Road after coming out of the depot.
Two starting services are still shown in RTT for the September period.

dan4291

Gillingham (Kent)? I remember back in the day when SE ran the Charing Cross via Gravesend and Dartford service it terminated at Gillingham, although has that now been transferred to TL and terminates at Rainham, meaning that the only terminators at Gillingham now go to the depot?

Javelin_55

I can't remember the last time it was required but trains can terminate at Preston Park and go into Lover's Walk depot from the north end, and vice versa.

DPQ

Flitwick, Leagrave and Balcombe starts, albeit Balcombe is only during disruption.

Veteran Member
Gillingham (Kent)? I remember back in the day when SE ran the Charing Cross via Gravesend and Dartford service it terminated at Gillingham, although has that now been transferred to TL and terminates at Rainham, meaning that the only terminators at Gillingham now go to the depot?
Looking at RTT for tomorrow, there appear to be some Victoria-Gillingham-Victoria workings.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Do SWR terminate anything at Teddington or Strawberry Hill at the end of the day?
In the ore-Covid timetable there was a 1713 to Teddington via Richmond, which continued to Waterloo via Kingston as empty coaching stock to take up a second peak-flow diagram.

Alex365Dash

Thought this was the case - a quick check on RTT reveals this train (0640 Hilsea to London Waterloo) is formed by an ECS service that stays overnight at Portsmouth & Southsea Low Level platforms.

As a proposal in place of that, now that local Southampton services run to Portsmouth & Southsea again, the only service starting/ending at Fratton is the 0450 Fratton to Gloucester, which arrives straight from Fratton CSD next door.

aliceh

Branksome used to up until last year, but I'm not sure it does now. Eastleigh gets quite a few in early mornings/late nights which I assume are for Northam depot

Status
Not open for further replies.