• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations which have platforms shorter than the train:Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
Is it actually correct to say that nothing has been done at Didcot? It may not have involved that platform, but there is IEP capability work listed in the enhancements plan that has involved other platforms there, P4 & P5 for 9 car, and P3 for 10 car...
I don't know: I read it on the rolling stock forum about the 800s, I think. I thought it a bit odd, as AFAIK, there is no space limitation at Didcot.

xotGD

Established Member
Pedant mode: for the Up Skipton :)

@London Trains. How Victoria?
It is also too short for the down Skipton - which is why it doesn't stop!

In both directions it is too short for the Scarborough Spa Express.

SwindonBert

Stonehouse can get two carriages and platform 2 in the Gloucester direction has a very large gap because of the rail cant and not all 8 carriages of a HST get platformed at Stroud. Much building to be done on the line!

Same for Kemble as Stroud

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't know: I read it on the rolling stock forum about the 800s, I think. I thought it a bit odd, as AFAIK, there is no space limitation at Didcot.
Perhaps it is one of these instances where it is still a work in progress, and the train systems have to default to the lowest length platform where there are differnt lengths.

thelem

Are there any programmes to extend the platforms at these stations, similar to how many stations are being made step free?

I was just at one such station (angmering). There is plenty of land at one end of the platforms, so all it needs is for some concrete to be put there and a signal moved in the Brighton/London direction. As well as making it easier for people to get off the train it would mean the trains no longer needed to block the level crossing while they are in the platform (Brighton/London bound).

Occtraveller

On the Waterloo-Reading route, we recently started getting 10-car Class 458/5s on some diagrams in addition to the previous 8-car Class 450s. These stations are too short:

Earley
Winnersh Triangle
Winnersh
Ascot
Virginia Water (platform 3)
Feltham
Twickenham
Richmond (although these are listed as 203.91m so not sure why only shown as 8-car)

Extensions are planned for Ascot and Feltham. Feltham is supposed to be done by June.

Hophead

Established Member
Richmond & Twickenham have been getting 10-car 458s since they appeared on Windsor services, as well as Hounslow loop. 707s also operate these as well now. From the lack of on-board announcements, I would suggest platforms are not too short.

Mintona

Established Member
There must be hundreds of these. Just on the routes I travel, I stop at Slough, Maidenhead, Twyford, Kemble, Stonehouse, Stroud, Nailsea & Backwell, Yatton, Worle, Weston Milton, Cam & Dursley, Yate and Filton Abbey Wood with trains that are longer than the platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.