• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations which have platforms shorter than the train:Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParleLover

I posted this as I know there are quite a number of stations which the trains are longer than the platform.

These stations that come to mind:
Berney Arms
Green Lane (when 6 - car trains are in operation)
Helsby - I remember being told only to alight through certain doors (can't remember the length of the train though)
Spooner Row
LLanfairpwll
Bidston [?] (6 - car trains are slightly over the 'do not cross here' point but not the actual platform)

Any other stations that do this?

Would love to know!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gorilladan

Most stations on the east lancs lines & up down colne line have platforms too short for the weekend trains (usually 1x142 & almost as ancient 1x150 coupled, rear set locked out of public use from Preston to colne). Single line to Colne doesn't even have a passing loop resulting in regular curtailment of northerns service when they're running late. No wonder passenger usage figures have declined in recent years, it's as if northern don't want to provide a service to Colne.

philthetube

Established Member
Most stations on the east lancs lines & up down colne line have platforms too short for the weekend trains (usually 1x142 & almost as ancient 1x150 coupled, rear set locked out of public use from Preston to colne). Single line to Colne doesn't even have a passing loop resulting in regular curtailment of northerns service when they're running late. No wonder passenger usage figures have declined in recent years, it's as if northern don't want to provide a service to Colne.
I dont think you are correct as a four car is used for certain football matches.

Established Member
I dont think you are correct as a four car is used for certain football matches.
I can assure you he is correct... I was at Preston on Blackpool airshow weekend on a full+standing 150+142. The folk in the 142 were not impressed when they were kicked off! A few got into the 150, but the vast majority did not...

trash80

Established Member
The Lakes, you have to be in the first car to alight.

One of Stechford's platforms is too short for 2x350 and the last set of doors do not open.

bearhugger

Kildale is almost exactly the same length as a class 156 which is used regularly for the line it’s on, but when Northern couple up another DMU to it, it’s a case of using the doors in the middle where they are joined.

BigCj34

Are Kent's Bank's platforms shorter? Only the middle doors are opened on the 185's.

Parallel

Established Member
Avoncliff and Dilton Marsh.

Freshford, Yetminster, Thornford and Chetnole get trains longer than the platform. Melksham. Gilfach Fargoed. Numerous stations in Wales on the Cambrian Coast and Heart of Wales Line.

Lemmy99uk

Are Kent's Bank's platforms shorter? Only the middle doors are opened on the 185's.
Kents Bank has long enough platforms. The middle doors are opened on 185s because of the stepping distance and the location of the ‘Harrington hump’

HowardGWR

Established Member
I found out today that the 10 coach class 800 is too long for Didcot up platform. The local council want a new station so perhaps that's why nothing has been done?

High Dyke

Established Member
Travelling back from Aberdeen by HST the other week the guard announced that passengers in the front carriage and the rear carriage should move to the next carriage to alight at certain stations along the route towards Edinburgh.

The early Norwich to Liverpool EMT service is usually formed of 2x158 units so at stations like Bottesford, Aslockton, and Bingham they use the 'local door only for passengers to alight and join. Hubberts Bridge has a platform on the Down long enough for a 2-car train, but the Up platform can only accommodate a 1-coach unit.

Essan

I remember the first time I used the Kyle line, back in BR days, before the introduction of Sprinters, and I opened the door to disembark at Strathcarron when I realised there was no platform ....... cue frantic waving to the guard to hold the train whilst I rushed up to the front 2 carriages which were adjacent the platform!

Pete_uk

Established Member
Stonehouse can get two carriages and platform 2 in the Gloucester direction has a very large gap because of the rail cant and not all 8 carriages of a HST get platformed at Stroud. Much building to be done on the line!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I found out today that the 10 coach class 800 is too long for Didcot up platform. The local council want a new station so perhaps that's why nothing has been done?
Is it actually correct to say that nothing has been done at Didcot? It may not have involved that platform, but there is IEP capability work listed in the enhancements plan that has involved other platforms there, P4 & P5 for 9 car, and P3 for 10 car...

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Several stations on the Circle Line too short for S Stock

Likewise places like Southall and Hayes & Harlington currently too short for 8 car 387 formations

Which regular station has the shortest platform? Would think Avoncliff or Dillon Marsh are in with a shout on that one.

London Trains

London Victoria
Hackbridge
Mitcham Junction
Syon Lane
Isleworth
Hounslow
Feltham
Fratton
Fareham
Egham
Virginia Water
Warnham
Ockley
Holmwood
Chertsey
Addlestone
Balcombe
Ifield
Faygate
Littlehaven
Aldrington
Portslade
Fishersgate
Lancing
Durrington-on-Sea
Goring-by-Sea
Hilsea
Cosham
Portchester
Botley
Hedge End
Swaythling
Parkstone
Branksome
Christchurch
New Milton
Sway
Pokesdown
Hinton Admiral
Liss
Liphook
Milford
Witiley
Farncombe
Rowlands Castle
Hook
Winchfield
London Charing Cross
Clapham Junction
Christs Hospital
Billingshurst
Pulborough
Amberley
Ford
Angmering
West Worthing
Lancing
Southwick
Berwick
Pevensey Bay
Three Oaks
Doleham
Bedhampton
Micheldever
Shawford
Beaulieu Road
Earlswood
Emsworth
London Road Brighton
Moulsecoomb
Nutbourne
Salfords
St Denys
Kentish Town
Cricklewood
Hendon
Radlett
Wraysbury
Sunnymeads
Datchet
Purley Oaks
Norwood Junction
Ore
St Leonards Warrior Square
West St Leonards
Crowhurst
Battle
Robertsbridge
Etchingham
Stonegate
Wadhurst
Frant
Tunbridge Wells

Just from the South...:lol::rolleyes:

D2007wsm

Established Member
All stations between Bristol Temple Meads and Weston-super-Mare where HSTs stop. SDO is used at Nailsea & Backwell, Yatton, Worle and Weston Milton. For example, at Worle coaches A to D are opened be it if they are at the front or rear of the train. The best door to get off is by the Disables Toilet in Coach C as this unusually by the bridge lol. The platform however copes with the usual 2, 3 & 4 class 150/153/158/166 DMUs.

Veteran Member
Platform 3 can only hold 9 coaches of a 375.
Doesn't usually happen but I know 2 instances of 12 coach 375s ending up in P3.
That's what I thought you meant - 4 is the same - but I thought the OP was referring to stations where all platforms were shorter than the regular trains that use them, rather than specific platforms (on that basis the only London termini where ALL the platforms can accommodate ALL the scheduled trains are Fenchurch St and IIRC Cannon St).

Mugby

Established Member
I wondered about this last Saturday when I was on an 11-car Pendolino from Manchester to Euston.

On arrival at Macclesfield, the rear car (which I was in) wasn't in the platform, in fact is wasn't even clear of the road under bridge but no announcement was made. I'm sure 11-car Pendolinos fit the Up platform at Macclesfield don't they?

Adsy125

Frome.

When do trains longer than the platforms call at Branksome and Parkstone? I didn't think there were regular workings longer than 1x444 that called there.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
do the sleepers stop, in loco+16 formation, at platforms shorter than the train for public calls? If so, what protection is there?

GW43125

Established Member
do the sleepers stop, in loco+16 formation, at platforms shorter than the train for public calls? If so, what protection is there?

Yes, Watford Jn is only long enough for 11 or 12. I'd assume they're still allowed to release the whole train and use the tried and tested method of:
1)look out the window
2)is there a platform there?
  • If yes, open door and get off
  • If no, move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.