• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations which should be renamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1Berske

Established Member
A new take on a familiar theme this one, inspired by the talk we had at the Salford Central thread.

That is a station which could/should/maybe be expanded and/or renamed as part of the longer term consequences of the Northern Hub/Metrolink/Electrification projects.

But where else could there be a renaming of existing railway stations - and why? Forum, t'is over to you....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
My choice would be Prittlewell. It's closer to some of the main facilities in Southend than either Central or even Victoria, such as Roots Hall, some of the administrative areas and the hospital, but is for the most part little-known outside of the local area. Why not change Prittlewell into a suffix (especially now we have stations named "Southend X" on either side of it) and call it "Southend Prittlewell"?

The only problem I can see with this is that the traditional settlement was Prittlewell, and that Southend is the "south end" of it - which may not go down too well.

Robinson

Pollokshields East, Pollokshields West, Pollokshaws East and Pollokshaws West.

A visitor to Glasgow could easily get confused trying to travel to one of these 4...

mirodo

Pollokshields East, Pollokshields West, Pollokshaws East and Pollokshaws West.

A visitor to Glasgow could easily get confused trying to travel to one of these 4...

What a load of Polloks.

[/predictable]

tbtc

Veteran Member
My choice would be Prittlewell. It's closer to some of the main facilities in Southend than either Central or even Victoria, such as Roots Hall, some of the administrative areas and the hospital, but is for the most part little-known outside of the local area. Why not change Prittlewell into a suffix (especially now we have stations named "Southend X" on either side of it) and call it "Southend Prittlewell"?

The only problem I can see with this is that the traditional settlement was Prittlewell, and that Southend is the "south end" of it - which may not go down too well.

On a related note maybe we should have a "central" station in towns with more than one (on the same line). For example, if I want central Pontefract should I get off my train (ex Wakefield Kirkgate) at Pontefract Tanshelf or Pontefract Monkhill? Neither name suggests it's the main one.

(I give this as an example - I know where I'm going in Pontefract, I'm just saying that there are some places with more than one station on the same line where it's not obvious which the "central" one is)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
St Pancras to become Agincourt.
Pontefract Baghill, Monkhill and Tanshelf to become Ponte Carlo Ville, Plage and Maritime respectively.
Castleford to become Cas Vegas (Yorks); Castleton to become Cas Vegas (Lancs)
Chathill to become Seahouses Parkway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've often thought that Sandling (formerly Sandling Junction) should be renamed either Hythe or Hythe Parkway, as in realistically, that's the town it serves.

PR1Berske

Established Member
St Pancras to become Agincourt.
Pontefract Baghill, Monkhill and Tanshelf to become Ponte Carlo Ville, Plage and Maritime respectively.
Castleford to become Cas Vegas (Yorks); Castleton to become Cas Vegas (Lancs)
Chathill to become Seahouses Parkway.

I've loving your replies, even though this sort of attitude is often left for when the thread is dying, not when it's just started :lol::lol:

Simon11

Established Member
Luton airport parkway should be renamed luton parkway.

Then if any passengers wish to travel to the airport, they know the exact destination, luton airport. Makes life a lot easier!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
East Midlands Parkway.

You'd be stuffed without a car trying to get to the airport from there, unless you want to fork out for taxis.

The fact that they stopped Skylink serving Loughborough station is a huge mistake, especially considering the fact that the station just had a rather major makeover. Now coming in from the south, there is no easy interchange for the airport. Leicester station is miles away from the bus station, Loughborough likewise, and EMD has no links whatsoever. One has to get to Derby in order to get there.

Eagle

Established Member
If it weren't such an ingrained name I'd suggest Oxenholme become Kendal Junction.

Also, University to Edgbaston. Less confusing, more encompassing.

Pokesdown (for Boscombe) to just Boscombe because a) it's in Boscombe b) Boscombe is a more widely-known place and c) that's what it used to be called.

gnolife

Established Member
If it weren't such an ingrained name I'd suggest Oxenholme become Kendal Junction.

Also, University to Edgbaston. Less confusing, more encompassing.

Or even University to Birmingham University, so that you at least know that you cant use it to get to Cambridge University or something daft like that.

ushawk

Established Member
Id change Polegate to "Polegate (For Hailsham)" - nearest station to the town which is about 15 minutes away by bus.

Maybe Falmer to "Falmer Stadium" instead (yes its known as the Amex, but since company names arent actually in station names, except IBM of course).

Eagle

Established Member
Or even University to Birmingham University, so that you at least know that you cant use it to get to Cambridge University or something daft like that.

Officially it is University (Birmingham)—although I suspect that's just to distinguish it from University (Coleraine). But still, being as the station serves a lot more than just a university, and is the major stop on the Cross-City south, and Edgbaston is a large and well-known place, that that's a better name.

tbtc

Veteran Member
East Midlands Parkway.

You'd be stuffed without a car trying to get to the airport from there, unless you want to fork out for taxis

To be fair, it doesn't mention the word "Airport" in its name. It is a Parkway station in the East Midlands (and not there to only serve the Airport) .

LE Greys

Established Member
Pokesdown (for Boscombe) to just Boscombe because a) it's in Boscombe b) Boscombe is a more widely-known place and c) that's what it used to be called.

Agreed there.

Welwyn North to Digswell, although that was roundly rejected by the locals last time someone proposed it.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Oh no!

Do you know that it is too long a walk from Pokesdown station to Boscombe centre for all our lovely resident grannies? ;)

86.gif

6Gman

Established Member
Abergele (formerly Abergele & Pensarn) to Pensarn for Abergele.

Since it's in Pensarn.

But convenient(ish) for Abergele.

====

Sandbach to Elworth

====

Kidsgrove to Newcastle-under-Lyme Parkway [tongue firmly in cheek!]

Eagle

Established Member
Imperial Wharf to Chelsea Harbour (or even Chelsea and Fulham). Again, let's use names of places people have actually heard of—plus it's rather unusual for such a large area of London that there is no station with "Chelsea" in its name.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
East Midlands Parkway.

You'd be stuffed without a car trying to get to the airport from there, unless you want to fork out for taxis.

The fact that they stopped Skylink serving Loughborough station is a huge mistake, especially considering the fact that the station just had a rather major makeover. Now coming in from the south, there is no easy interchange for the airport. Leicester station is miles away from the bus station, Loughborough likewise, and EMD has no links whatsoever. One has to get to Derby in order to get there.

Or Long Eaton...

dvboy

Established Member
The two obvious local ones:

Sandwell and Dudley to Oldbury
Birmingham International to Birmingham Airport & NEC

I'm not a fan of stations like Chester Road and Blake Street being named after roads and not the area they are in, unless they are part of an underground or metro system.

VTPreston_Tez

Buckshaw Parkway to Runshaw Parkway (& Superstore)? Its location seems more fitting therefore.
If Preston gets a second station, rename the main one either Fishergate, Cannon Street, South, Broadgate, City Centre or Franklin. They'd all work in theory.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Lea Green to Marshalls Cross (the area in which the station is located)

IanD

Established Member
Milton Keynes Central should be renamed to just Milton Keynes.

Bradford Interchange should be re-renamed to Bradford Exchange. Hate the word Interchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.