• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with a service in one direction only on bi-directional lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaigee

What stations are there with a service in one direction only, despite the line having bi-directional passenger services?
I know of only one, but maybe there are more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
You mean somewhere like Chathill? Passenger trains pass through the station in both directions without stopping, but if you board a train that calls there, your only option is to go south.

jaigee

You mean somewhere like Chathill? Passenger trains pass through the station in both directions without stopping, but if you board a train that calls there, your only option is to go south.

Not the one I am thinking about.

To clarify, there are "Up and "Down" running lines through the station with passenger services on them but only "Down" trains stop. To travel in the "Up" direction you have to catch a "Down" train and change at the next station and come back through.

Sorry if that is as clear as mud.

I am not familiar with Chathill so I can not say if that is the case there, I assume you mean it has a bi-directional service and both go in southerly direction.

Railsigns

Established Member
Not the one I am thinking about.

To clarify, there are "Up and "Down" running lines through the station with passenger services on them but only "Down" trains stop. To travel in the "Up" direction you have to catch a "Down" train and change at the next station and come back through.

Ah, right. You may be thinking of Polesworth then?

I am not familiar with Chathill so I can not say if that is the case there. I assume you mean it has a bi-directional service and both go in southerly direction.

Chathill is on the East Coast Main Line and most trains pass through without stopping. There's a stopping service from Newcastle that terminates at Chathill, then forms a service back to Newcastle. You can therefore only travel in the Up direction from Chathill.

jaigee

Ah, right. You may be thinking of Polesworth then?

Polesworth it is, ever since they took down the footbridge. Mind you, there is only one train a day anyway!

I see what you mean about Chathill, as the question was written at first that would have qualified.

Death

Established Member
Now for a bit of rule-bending...I'm going to try and throw Reddish South in for consideration. AFAIK there's only a single road running through the station (With only 1tpw in any direction!) but it's bi-directional. ;)

Oracle

Established Member
Totton has bi-di through the Down Platform 2 but apart from engineering works, trains do not stop there though they have been known to run through in the Up direction without stopping. Up platform P1 can be used [and has been recently] to reverse in, but is not bi-di beyond the limit of shunt.

Redbridge is also bi-di through the Down platform [2?] but only passed through by passenger trains in case of emergency..just once in living memory.

If I can stretch a point, Brockenhurst P4 is' bi-directional' in the platform as far as the east end (Southampton) end as there is a fixed red at the end. Trains can however enter it from the Southampton direction though it is only now in passenger service when there is engineering work and a need to reverse all trains at Brock.

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
Bedwyn..

Only served by trains from the (east) London/Newbury direction.
If you wish to travel from Bedwyn westwards then travel east to Newbury before catching westbound train non-stop through Bedwyn

Track Basher

Ribblehead (southbound) and Bromsgrove (northbound) used to only have one platform so trains could only call in one direction. Both have now had a second one built.

Crossover

Established Member
Now for a bit of rule-bending...I'm going to try and throw Reddish South in for consideration. AFAIK there's only a single road running through the station (With only 1tpw in any direction!) but it's bi-directional. ;)

I could add to the rule bending by saying Denton also which is on the same line so would guess the line there was bi-directional

SteamontheMet

I can think of one but it has been closed for years:

Ormside station on the S&C only had one platform on the Down Line *I Think?*

(I believe the station is now turned into a school trip accomodation facility with the platform boarded up so you can't see the trains but reduces the noise and vibrations of passing trains, haven't been there since 03)

imagination

Bedwyn..

Only served by trains from the (east) London/Newbury direction.
If you wish to travel from Bedwyn westwards then travel east to Newbury before catching westbound train non-stop through Bedwyn

Not quite. There is the 13:30 (to Taunton), 18:24 (to Westbury), 19:24 (to Frome) and 19:35 (to Plymouth) on mondays-fridays and the 9:30 (to Exeter) and 13:29 (to Taunton) on Saturdays that head westbound from Bedwyn

Waddon

Reeves Corner on Croydon Tramlink has trams passing in both directions but you can only board a tram heading into Croydon, not going the other way (except when it's used as a terminating place during engineering work)

william

Established Member
Dunston on the Tyne Valley? Used to only have an early morning service in one direction, not sure if it still does

Statto

Established Member
Reeves Corner on Croydon Tramlink has trams passing in both directions but you can only board a tram heading into Croydon, not going the other way (except when it's used as a terminating place during engineering work)

Dont think the op's on about the Tram Network, just NR, however since you mentioned Trams, Mossley Street on the Manchester Metrolink, has a service in one direction[Southbound] only.

MCR247

Established Member
Stations with a service in one direction only on bi-directional lines?

So why post Shenstone?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I will admit that the title if this thread had me confused initially, as 'bi-directional' to me means that trains can run either way down one track, see the GEML beyond Shenfield and single line sections anywhere on the network.

However, Shenstone is invalid, as, to the best of my knowledge, it has 4tph eastwards, and 4tph westards, I think it is one of only a couple of XCity stations where trains pass non-stop regularly (either there or Blake St).

MCR247

Established Member
I think the title means on lines where trains ( can) go both ways, but the station only has trains in one direction like Polesworth

Status
Not open for further replies.