• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with a V or triangle layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
That is, stations whose platforms are just beyond the points of a junction, with separate platforms for the different lines.

Shipley
Meadowhall
York (partially - Scarborough bay and platform 4 only)

I was going to add Church Fenton, but there's a crossover from the Leeds bound platform to the Sheffield > York track immediately south of the platform ramp.

Any more in Yorkshire? Time to move further afield, so over to the rest of you.........

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Bishop Auckland would have been a good one if they hadn't closed half the lines running through it.

Could you count Battersby as having a V layout, as trains use different sides of the platform depending on which direction they are going (the last time I did Whitby they did, although this was 2007)?

4SRKT

Established Member
Bishop Auckland would have been a good one if they hadn't closed half the lines running through it.

Could you count Battersby as having a V layout, as trains use different sides of the platform depending on which direction they are going (the last time I did Whitby they did, although this was 2007)?

I wouldn't count Battersby Jn because you can get to either line from either platform. A bit like a small Bradford Interchange.

Established Member
The ever helpful Wikipedia says for triangle stations:

Shipley
Earlestown
Queensbury
Ambergate
Bishop Auckland
Mangotsfield.

4SRKT

Established Member
Cheadle Hume?
Inverness?

Cheadle Hulme's a good one, but isn't there a link from one of the Wick platforms to the Perth line within Inverness station?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The ever helpful Wikipedia says for triangle stations:

Shipley
Earlestown
Queensbury
Ambergate
Bishop Auckland
Mangotsfield.

Of which the only two open today weren't built to this layout!

4SRKT

Established Member
Howth Junction

Paisley Gilmour Street (not an actual V shape, but fulfils all the criteria)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Marks Tey is definately not a V shape!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Dinting, which is a V shape. Was it not also a triangle?
Dovey Junction
If Dovey Junction counts, then so does Worcester Foregate Street!

Aictos

Established Member
In the 60s, you could count Accrington as it was designed around a triangle layout with lines to Manchester, Leeds and Blackpool.

MCR247

Established Member
Marks Tey is definately not a V shape!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Dinting, which is a V shape. Was it not also a triangle?
If Dovey Junction counts, then so does Worcester Foregate Street!

Marks Tey is IIRC :?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Marks Tey is a two-track mainline with a branchline platform. If Marks Tey is a V then so is every other three platform station, although I suppose given the OP "that is, stations whose platforms are just beyond the points of a junction, with separate platforms for the different lines" maybe it is!

MCR247

Established Member
But forgetting how many platforms, the platforms do form a V. They are together at the Colchester end, but the south end on the GEML goes left (facing south) and the Sudbury goes righr (also facing south)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sandling Junction - The branch platform is still there, eventhough the Hythe Branch isn't.

Ivo

Established Member
Pitsea. Two double tracks with a large platform in the middle and also one to the north and south.

4SRKT

Established Member
Marks Tey definitely counts according to the definition given in the header. As does Paisley Gilmour Street, even though the platforms are parallel.

Thornton with Glenrothes.
Perth

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Might I suggest Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria.

Platforms 13 & 14 at Piccadilly and 1 & 2 at Victoria have different ticket inspection lines from the rest of the platforms at those stations.

4SRKT

Established Member
Retford is a cross station. Also Shotton.
TBH, the last few times I've had to use the barriers at Leeds, it's made me pretty annoyed. So, for me at least, Leeds is a cross station.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I wouldn't class Lichfield Trent Valley as a cross station as it is a terminus for the line from Birmingham. Also, Retford is really two stations connected by a footpath. Whereas, Tamworth is basically the same building

Status
Not open for further replies.