• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with City of London Backdrops..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Hello and happy boxing day!

I'm going up to London tomorrow for some photting and bashing, and I'd like to visit some stations or locations with City of London backdrops, what stations might I find this at?

I'd like the location to be safe if possible :lol:

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
Actual City of London, or just cityscapes in London? The former has a specific meaning.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Bethnal Green, looking in the up direction, will allow the NatWest Tower and the Gherkin to be in the background, but if it's sunny the chances are you'll be shooting directly into the light at that angle at this time of year.

tsr

Established Member
Hello and happy boxing day!

I'm going up to London tomorrow for some photting and bashing, and I'd like to visit some stations or locations with City of London backdrops, what stations might I find this at?

I'd like the location to be safe if possible :lol:

Thanks in advance!

You may want to take a ride on the DLR and see if anything takes your fancy. OK, so the vast majority is not that near the City itself, but it's certainly able to provide some unique backdrops of the East of London, much of the newer financial district, and so on.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
One quite iconic shot could be on the country end of London Bridge through platforms, looking SW, getting photos of trains with the absolutely huge Shard in the background. I got a couple back in summer 2011 when it was only half-size, so I'm not quite sure how it would fit now, but I've seen a couple of pro photos of it and it looks rather impressive. Enjoy your day anyway!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You may want to take a ride on the DLR and see if anything takes your fancy. OK, so the vast majority is not that near the City itself, but it's certainly able to provide some unique backdrops of the East of London, much of the newer financial district, and so on.

Indeed, the DLR is one of the most underrated scenic lines in the UK, especially out towards Beckton. If you get a good zoom you can capture the Emirates Air Line and DLR together looking west at West Silvertown.

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
Actual City of London, or just cityscapes in London? The former has a specific meaning.

I'm mainly thinking the financial district, the skyline with the HSBC and citigroup towers etc.

But that said, I'm open to pretty to pretty much anything :P

ert47

You can get a nice view of Canary Wharf in the distance on the trains coming in to London Bridge, not sure of the angles - but you could try South Bermondsey if you dont want to take pictures out the window.
Limehouse DLR (Canary Wharf), Waterloo East (looking out to London Bridge).

Not sure about other stations - Battersea Park? Hoxton?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The line through Peckham Rye is quite elevated and two or three stations along it have aspects with the Canary Wharft area clear in the background don't they? Not sure how easy it is to get a train in the same pictures though.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
On a train from London Bridge to Bexleyheath at one point you get an excellent view of canary wharf but only for about two minutes. DLR as well has some excellent views according to a mate, apparently at one point you are in the middle of a motorway. The thameslink from Farringdon to London Bridge is elevated and you get good views of the Gherkin. HTH

ert47

You can spot a bit of Alexandra Palace from the East Coast Mainline while moving, but I'm not sure whether you can actually see it from Hornsey station (defo not from Ally Pally station).
There are some good views of the Olympic park from the District line - tis a distance away, but could produce some good results during sunset.
Millennium Eye can be seen from again, from Waterloo East platforms.

I think there could be some good views from Cannon Street

Status
Not open for further replies.