• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vic-rijrode

Would really beg to know where to find the "garden" at Leamington Spa. My incursions (including last weekend) were large tracts of concrete, not a "green" blade in sight (TBH, being around 15 feet above "normal" ground, gardening is probably not the major concern...).

Should add, not to be overly negative, that platforms 1/2 had tools for bycicle repair.
The last time I was there (a couple of years ago), the garden was at the east end of the down platform. It was actually quite a large and attractive one (for a station). Of course I don't know whether it's still there, but I somehow doubt that it's been buried under a large tract of concrete.

The last time I was there (a couple of years ago), the garden was at the east end of the down platform. It was actually quite a large and attractive one (for a station). Of course I don't know whether it's still there, but I somehow doubt that it's been buried under a large tract of concrete.
The website of the Friends of Leamington Spa Station has a page devoted to the gardens, though no recent updates as far as I can tell.

bramling

Veteran Member
Maybe some of the deep tube stations have living mushroom gardens. ;)

Not a Tube station, but High Barnet had quite a large garden a few years ago on the bank between the station car park and the Great North Road. Can’t remember if it’s still there - it may well be. These sorts of things have habit of coming and going depending on what staff are there at the time.

Ken H

On Moderation
Horton in Ribblesdale has a garden. Certainly on the down side. There is a sign saying who maintains it.

dk1

Veteran Member
Most Wherry & Bittern line stations are very well cared for many with stunning floral displays.

greyman42

Established Member
Dunbar and Dumfries used to have gardens, don't know if they still do.

philjo

Established Member
Letchworth Garden City.
I know a member of the volunteer team that maintains the gardens adjacent to the northbound platform at Church Stretton.

Devonian

"Passengers with reservations in coach C should wait by the fish pond" used to be a common announcement at Totnes, which kept a small station garden, complete with white picket fence and Torbay palms, until it was removed to make way for a gigantic footbridge. It was replaced by a less than impressive and rather temporary-looking effort on the opposite platform. The garden won an award for best station garden a decade or so ago: and the award was duly appended to the vintage certificate recording similar wins from the age of steam that was on display in the ticket office.

Cletus

Established Member
Currently at Haddiscoe which has flowers and also noticed that Somerleyton did too as I passed through.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Leamington Spa does have a garden a small one on platform two.
South end off station.
Another interesting one is brondesbury park on the platform towards brondesbury platform 2.
At the steps there ie a very small community garden theme.
However its does have some benches there as well in the community/garden area.
Making it a little ideal area for a small picnic ie launch or a quick relaxation between trains.
Also evesham does have some gardens on platform 2.
However brondesbury park is a quite interesting idea to include benches though.

NORMAN471

I believe Westhoughton has a garden.

Edit: Turns out it does indeed, created by the Friends of Westhoughton

Photographs taken in 2019 First at Westhoughton, next two at Hindley and final one at Wigan Wallgate.
There are more gardens at Croston, Reddish South, Castleton, Pannal (Harrogate Line) and Handforth.

Westhoughton Platform Garden .jpg

Hindley Station Garden Platform Extension Work.jpgHindley Platform Garden looking East.jpg

Wigan Wallgate Garden 142s.jpg

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Bridlington used to have great floral displays inside the concourse but I believe the person who looked after them has died and they are no longer there.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I don't know whether you'd call it a garden as such, but Burton-on-Trent station has (or had a few years ago) an area on the main platforms advertising the National Forest.

Many of the tfl rail stations have gardens maintained by the ambassador team. The one a seven kings was my favourite as it featured a wooden telephone box filled with flowers. I saw in the company news letter that West Ealing has a new garden.
Can confirm that West Ealing garden was being populated the other day when i visited the station. On the up relief platform.

Amlag

In the South West the only station on the National Network with proper gardens (ie Lawns, shrubbery Palm trees, flower beds ) is Torquay; at one time maintained for BR by Torbay Borough Council.
It is less well kept now but not I think by volunteers.

dk1

Veteran Member
GWR owns some goldfish in the small pond at Totnes Stn for any passenger who cares to notice them while waiting for a cancelled or late train !
If in Totnes, why would you care if your train was delayed or cancelled? I wouldn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.