• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvordan

After spending some time at Elmstead Woods station in London and admiring the garden there, it got me thinking, are there many other stations which have gardens inside them?

The only other one I could think of was at Chesham tube station which has a small garden on the disused side of the island platform. But then again I haven't really ventured to many stations outside of the London area.

So I'm curious to know if any other stations have gardens like these?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
After spending some time at Elmstead Woods station in London and admiring the garden there, it got me thinking, are there many other stations which have gardens inside them?

The only other one I could think of was at Chesham tube station which has a small garden on the disused side of the island platform. But then again I haven't really ventured to many stations outside of the London area.

Have you got any pictures so that we can see what they are actually like in order to make a comparison and be able answer your question.

Highlandspring

Established Member

Perth for one.

hvordan

Have you got any pictures so that we can see what they are actually like in order to make a comparison and be able answer your question.
I didn't take any unfortunately but this site has some good pictures of Elmstead Woods gardens.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Many Community Rail Partnerships and 'Friends of ABC Station' groups have created gardens at smaller stations across the network (often assisted by rail industry staff).

Hindley is one that immediately springs to mind.

wellhouse

There are many, and a few years ago I did research at the NRM on station gardens for a Channel 4 Series. Pre BR companies ran garden competitions.

There's a small garden at Huddersfield, and a spectacular one at Leamington Spa

Lemmy99uk

On the Cumbrian Coast, Aspatria, Wigton, Dalston, Millom, Green Road, Ravenglass and possibly some others have station gardens of some sort, some of them have been winners at the Comunity Rail awards.

Workington has lovely hanging baskets and raised planters maintained by the train crew and station staff.

sk688

Oldfield Park has a nice small garden , set up by the volunteers IIRC

Some of the Severn Beach line stations might have them (Shirehampton springs to mind) , but could be corrected on this

Established Member
I will beat @323235 to saying Poynton!

Also Newton St Cyres (near Exeter; we may be having a forum meal there next month)
Yeh indeed Poynton does- not quite as good as in the past, as the garden centre went into administration that did it and got taken over by Strikes? , so bit less extravagant.

Kirkham I noticed recently they've been busy making it look fantastic - not sure if it can hold Garden City status though.

Snow1964

Established Member
Bradford-on-Avon has one on Bath direction platform, almost has a small nature trail through it, someone clearly spends fair bit of time maintaining it

SeanG

Hindley always strikes me as having a nicely maintained garden area.

I'm not sure on the status of Flowery Field....:lol:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
There is a garden at Alton station in Hampshire which is run by the Alton Local Food Initiative (ALFI) to encourage gardening and growing local fruit and veg.

AM9

Veteran Member
There are quite a few restored signals growing in the garden just off the southern end of platform 4 at St Albans. :)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There are quite a few restored signals growing in the garden just off the southern end of platform 4 at St Albans. :)

Trust me that garden takes a lot of work to keep it under control.

Big shout out for station planters - most Thameslink stations have them , with honourable mention to Kentish Town which has excellent displays in what some would have termed a challenging environment. The SAC ones get good attention from station staff and local train crew.

St Albans South signal box is now open for visits as per schedule. Opened this week after COVID relaxations.

iphone76

Many of the tfl rail stations have gardens maintained by the ambassador team. The one a seven kings was my favourite as it featured a wooden telephone box filled with flowers. I saw in the company news letter that West Ealing has a new garden.

childwallblues

Established Member
Many Community Rail Partnerships and 'Friends of ABC Station' groups have created gardens at smaller stations across the network (often assisted by rail industry staff).

Hindley is one that immediately springs to mind.
I travelled from Salford Central to Wigan Wallgate a few weeks ago and noted two gentlemen tending the garden at Hindley.

Parallel

Established Member
Freshford has one on the Bath bound platform.

I know it's already been mentioned but I really like Oldfield Park station. It's quite a relaxing place to wait for a train with all the flowers out in the garden along the platforms. It's also usually very quiet in terms of noise, considering it's in a housing estate in a city!

Dolau station on the Heart of Wales line also has a garden, which looked very well maintained when I was last on a train there.

RobertsN

There are many, and a few years ago I did research at the NRM on station gardens for a Channel 4 Series. Pre BR companies ran garden competitions.

There's a small garden at Huddersfield, and a spectacular one at Leamington Spa
Would really beg to know where to find the "garden" at Leamington Spa. My incursions (including last weekend) were large tracts of concrete, not a "green" blade in sight (TBH, being around 15 feet above "normal" ground, gardening is probably not the major concern...).

Should add, not to be overly negative, that platforms 1/2 had tools for bycicle repair.

AM9

Veteran Member
When I was a child I remember reading in the LT Magazine that South Kensington had once again won the tube station with the best garden award. There was a disused bay platform there that had been converted into a flower bed.

Peter0124

Established Member
Does carlisle count? Theres a small grassy area on platform 4 with wooden benches for people to sit on

D6975

Established Member
Great Malvern was nicely decorated with flowers last time I was there. There are several stations with herb gardens too, Totnes is one IIRC.

Neptune

Established Member
Does carlisle count? Theres a small grassy area on platform 4 with wooden benches for people to sit on
That was created for one of the World Cup’s (either 2014 or 2018).

Some stations have planters with veg for anyone to pick. Bingley is one that springs to mind.

A lot of stations on the Calder Valley line have floral displays and Mytholmroyd does have a garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.