• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with mandatory assisted dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
Are station despatches something unique to the UK?
Not sure the "passenger pushers" seen in Japan etc count as despatchers.
K
Nah. They're still around in Europe though it depends where you are.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThomasI

There is a lot of dispatch on the GWR network where the IETs operate, and it seems stations that do have dispatch staff, tend to dispatch all stock/operators i.e at Westbury, Castle Cary, Bath Spa etc. At the smaller stations, the ticket office staff usually double up as dispatch staff.
Just to add to the Westbury part, that's correct, we dispatch all stock / operators with the exception of anything that is less than 5 cars on platform 1, or ECS on platform 1, as they are required to self dispatch.

Established Member
Avanti station staff dispatch all passenger trains at Carlisle (Avanti, Northern, TPE, Scotrail). I haven’t noticed what happens with LNER and I’ve not been there for the departure of a sleeper (past my bedtime).
There were staff out of the platform when I boarded the Lowland Sleeper* at Preston once.

*Yes I know you can't do that. But I was booked on the Highlander and they cancelled it. Rough...

DorkingMain

I believe the following stations require mandatory dispatch for full length trains on SWR:

Basingstoke
Bournemouth
Brockenhurst
Godalming
Portsmouth & Southsea (Plat 1 & 2 Only)
Portsmouth Harbour
Southampton Central
Surbiton
Vauxhall
Waterloo
Might be out of date, but the only mandatory dispatch platforms on the SWR network I signed were Waterloo, Reading, Portsmouth and Southsea High Level, Portsmouth Harbour and Clapham Junction Plat 11.

Assisted dispatch is common at the others but not mandatory - though it is almost always provided at Godalming for a 10/12 car on the up because of how awkward the self-dispatch procedure is.

I believe Lumo self despatch.
Think Lumo are the only operator who self dispatch from Edinburgh Waverley too, though happy to be corrected on that

Last edited:

Established Member
Might be out of date, but the only mandatory dispatch platforms on the SWR network I signed were Waterloo, Reading, Portsmouth and Southsea High Level, Portsmouth Harbour and Clapham Junction Plat 11.

Assisted dispatch is common at the others but not mandatory - though it is almost always provided at Godalming for a 10/12 car on the up because of how awkward the self-dispatch procedure is.

Think Lumo are the only operator who self dispatch from Edinburgh Waverley too, though happy to be corrected on that
Who despatches TPE at Edinburgh?

louis97

Established Member
Godalming is mandatory dispatch for 10 car trains (I assume 12 car too), have heard of one example, the last train of the day on the up, which had to terminate there due to no staff. Control were as good as useless apparently, with no understanding of the issue, suggesting various things that highlighted their utter lack of knowledge. Signaller seemed more concerned about any stranded passenger than control, there were none thankfully.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Every time I use East Croydon it seems to require platform staff, but not sure if this is a mandatory requirement or just regular practice.
All Southern trains are mandatory dispatch there, all Thameslink are self dispatch but staff are required to watch the trains enter and leave the platforms, they only assist in dispatch of Thameslink trains there when the DOO cameras fail.

dingdinger

Godalming is mandatory dispatch for 10 car trains (I assume 12 car too), have heard of one example, the last train of the day on the up, which had to terminate there due to no staff. Control were as good as useless apparently, with no understanding of the issue, suggesting various things that highlighted their utter lack of knowledge. Signaller seemed more concerned about any stranded passenger than control, there were none thankfully.
As far as I am aware at Godalming Guards can dispatch for 10/12 coach trains without the platform staff in the rare situation when staff aren't available but must walk up and down the platform to complete the safety checks.

DorkingMain

As far as I am aware at Godalming Guards can dispatch for 10/12 coach trains without the platform staff in the rare situation when staff aren't available but must walk up and down the platform to complete the safety checks.
This was how I was trained

TEW

Established Member
It changed a few years ago. Dispatch assistance is now mandatory in the up direction for trains over 8 coaches. There was a morning a few months ago where no staff were available. The first train sat there for ages due to the lack of platform staff and subsequent trains skipped Godalming until platform staff were available.

Tractor37

They aren’t passenger carrying so probably not. I can ask the question today.
I just thought with it being platformed that it might be to reduce platform train interface problems with passengers trying to board - even though it’s empty and not advertised as a service on the screens.

themiller

I just thought with it being platformed that it might be to reduce platform train interface problems with passengers trying to board - even though it’s empty and not advertised as a service on the screens.
I’m told by a member of Carlisle platform staff that LNER are not mandatory but some drivers ask for it when heading east.
I’ve also been told that the sleepers are despatched by the night staff on the station.

Last edited:

E27007

Bromley South on the Chatham London Victoria mainline, unless things have changed in the last couple of years, the platform despatcher has to approach the driving cab sidewindow and despatch the train by showing a handsignal to the driver

Last edited:

zuriblue

Are station despatches something unique to the UK?
Not sure the "passenger pushers" seen in Japan etc count as despatchers.
K
They’re also used on DB on major stations. It seems similar to the UK in that the guard closes the doors, checks then give the tip to the platform supervisor before closing the local door. The platform supervisor then lights up the Zp9 to give the RA.

Tractor37

I’m told by a member of Carlisle platform staff that LNER are not mandatory but some drivers ask for it when heading east.
I’ve also been told that the sleepers are despatched by the night staff on the station.
Thank you. I would have thought in this day and age of blame culture the majority of drivers would request it

XC victim

What are the rules at Lancaster? I have been on a few Northern services that have been delayed (always from Platform 5) waiting for dispatch from platform staff.

scrapy

Established Member
What are the rules at Lancaster? I have been on a few Northern services that have been delayed (always from Platform 5) waiting for dispatch from platform staff.
Lancaster is mandatory assisted dispatch, all TOCs on all platforms. Platform 5 is a bit strange as the TRTS button is positioned up at the north end of the platform beyond where trains usually stop. Therefore if the signal isn't clear you may not see platform staff at the side of the train. If waiting for the signal they may be doing other duties as they will know that the route from platform 5 cannot be cleared northbound whilst there is a route set in or out of any other platform or the fast lines, this can sometimes lead to delays from platform 5 as almost anything else leaving the station will be given priority.

XC victim

A few times I have seen trains in platform 5 at Lancaster been given a green signal but unable to depart as there are no one to dispatch them. I have even seen train crew have to go to the station manager office on platform 4 looking for someone to dispatch them. This does seem to cause quite a lot of delays.

sonic2009

Established Member
Doesn't Tamworth have dispatch on the XC services? Do remember seeing staff there in years gone by.

Established Member
Doesn't Tamworth have dispatch on the XC services? Do remember seeing staff there in years gone by.
Should think so. Burton I believe it's station staff for the Voyagers and HST's but 170's can self dispatch.

Was surprised to see a charter service self dispatch from Derby the other week when everything else has station staff.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Yes, despite it being a LNWR station, XC dispatch trains on platforms 3&4 yet 1&2 are self dispatch.

Watford Jct is similar - Avanti mandatory, LNWR self despatch except platform 10 which is mandatory.

MKC has been mentioned before (Avanti mandatory, LNWR self dispatch only).
Think Nuneaton will be the same, assisted for LNWR but quite often self dispatch, but Avanti are mandatory I think

dingdinger

It changed a few years ago. Dispatch assistance is now mandatory in the up direction for trains over 8 coaches. There was a morning a few months ago where no staff were available. The first train sat there for ages due to the lack of platform staff and subsequent trains skipped Godalming until platform staff were available.
Godalming now has CCTV monitors, so Guards can dispatch 10/12 coach stock without assistance from platform staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.