• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with "missing" platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaigee

How many stations have a missing sequence in the platform numbering?

I know of only one, Stafford, with no number 2 platform.

Are there any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Edinburgh Waverley has no platforms 5 and 6.
They were the ex motorail platforms and platform faces are still there, but they're used as sidings and there's usually a 67 and a 90 there during the day.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Sure there are quite a few others...

The first that springs to mind is: Stratford (London), which doesn't have a 7.
Didn't use to have a 4 either (whereas now it has, in a different location, a new 4a and 4b, used by the DLR, which originally used the old 4, which had been disused before that)

The original 4 and 7 were bay platforms constructed for a shuttle service to Fenchurch Street which either was never introduced or which was quickly scrapped.

But the numbering of platforms at Stratford is particularly ludicrous, and really needs to be redone...

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is sorted now, but Lincoln Central pre-resignalling started at 3.

Waverley is odd that 5 and 6 are still missing after the renumbering. It used to have more missing. To be honest I can't remember what the old numbers on the Southbound end were.

Yew

Established Member
Ive never been able to find 9 3/4 at Kings cross.

I think Nottingham Might be missing a platform, unless the little platform the skegness service leaves from usually is counted as another one?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Stafford has a p2, the southbound bay next to the toilets on p1.
Stratford's p4/7 were for the Fenchurch St shuttles via Bow Rd, which ended around about WW2. They were consequently filled in, but have reappeared elsewhere - the old DLR platforms were 4a and 4b IIRC.
As 90019 says, 5/6 at Edinburgh were used for the Motorail.
Nottingham has 6 platforms, none missing, p2 is the bay for Skegness services.

Add to list:
West Croydon - p3 bay for Wimbledon now filled in (Wimbledon line is now the Croydon Tramlink).
Twickenham - p1, in situ but disused and unnumbered, similar to Aberdeen p1/2.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
At Lincoln, the old p1/2 bays disappeared under a car park in the 1980s, similar to Stirling p1.

There are a million similar threads on here relating to this, I'll have a look.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
At Lincoln, the old p1/2 bays disappeared under a car park in the 1980s, similar to Stirling p1.

Yes, but the platform numbering survived for years - so the platforms were from 3 to 7. In fact, it still confuses me now they've been renumbered.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Indeed.

See this http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33533 for exactly the same topic.

Fishguard Harbour is now unnunbered in the new Quail, and in reality, so that's a void.

Add to list:
Bristol Temple Meads - p14.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cardiff Central - p5 (I think)
Watford Jn - p5
Shrewsbury - p1/2 are disused for passengers I think

West Croydon has no p3, sorry, not p2.

Crossover

Established Member
It used to be platform 2 but is now out of use for passenger traffic and not numbered.

Actually, I am led to believe that bay never was platform 2.

Platform 2 used to be a north bay next to platform 1 where the north end car park now is. Looking down there it stands to reason that it existed.

Oracle

Established Member
The bay at Bournemouth I think is never used now as it's too short. Southampton Central's bay should be 5 but is not signalled at the moment for passenger services and is (therefore) un-numbered. Clapham Junction has P1 which is probably never going to be used.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I thought of Lincoln too, didn't know it had been renumbered.

Shrewsbury has no platforms 1 or 2 at all - not just disused for passengers, I think. I guess they must have been built over?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Clapham Junction's platform 1 is blocked by some signalling or Network Rail equipment at the London end, hence it wasn't brought back into service by LOROL.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
And of course London Bridge has had no platform 7 for many years, although presumably the forthcoming rebuilding will change that.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hull lacks a platform one, it's still there just not used in passenger service or numbered anymore.

Ibex

Watford Junction has been missing platform 5 since the withdrawal of the Bakerloo line.

jaigee

Actually, I am led to believe that bay never was platform 2.

Platform 2 used to be a north bay next to platform 1 where the north end car park now is. Looking down there it stands to reason that it existed.

There has been a number of changes to layout/platform numbers over the years.

I originally thought that this diagram showing the 1955 layout was innacurate:
http://janfordsworld.blogspot.com/2008/06/stafford-station-in-fifties.html

But this photograph appears to support it's relative accuracy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stafford_4_railway_station_geograph-2165906.jpg

Welshman

Established Member
Huddersfield is missing platforms 3 and 7.
Both were short bays at the east and west ends respectively.
I think the tracks may now have been removed, but the station has not been renumbered.

Crossover

Established Member
Interesting jaigee

This is a photo from the alleged platform 2, but that could possibly be platform 3 from the 50's

That said, the station has expanded somewhat since the 50's as well

Cardiff Central - p5 (I think)

Yes, that's correct about platform 5 at Cardiff Central but it does actually have 7 platform faces these days, since it gained a platform 0.
West Ealing has no platforms 1 or 2 but has platforms 3 and 4.

Ditto, regarding a platform 1 at Acton Mainline and Hanwell.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The bay at Bournemouth I think is never used now as it's too short. Southampton Central's bay should be 5 but is not signalled at the moment for passenger services and is (therefore) un-numbered. Clapham Junction has P1 which is probably never going to be used.

Bournemouth's Platform 1 used to host the stoppers from Southampton Central during rush hours, formed of 450s, so they're long enough, just.
Hull lacks a platform one, it's still there just not used in passenger service or numbered anymore.

Salisbury's platform 1 is in a similar situation.

Eagle

Established Member
Whereas Banbury has an unnumbered in-use platform; the north-facing bay between 1 and 2. I think the first/last Chilterns of the day to/from Birmingham use it. Doesn't show up on NRE's station diagram, though.

Also Waterloo tube station is missing everything from 7 to 24 :P

Liam

Established Member
Aberdeen has no platform 1, 2 or 8. (well they are still there, just not used for for empty stock.)

Matt Taylor

Established Member
There is no platform 2 at Portsmouth Harbour, it was taken out of use in 1994 when the station was at risk of collapse as were the remaining platforms, but P2 never came back.

Buttsy

Established Member
Bletchley never had a platform 1 once the Oxford trains were removed, though this has been resolved since the WCML upgrade which renumbered the platforms. (Platform 2 remained as a north facing bay for parcels traffic throughout the 70s and 80s - I used to cop a number of 08s and 85s in that platform).

Also, isn't Newhaven Marine labelled as Platform 3 although it is a 1 platform station? I also remember Heysham Port being similar in that it once had one platform, labelled '3', a few years ago.

Last edited:

Trainbuff

Plymouth has no Platform 1 or 2. Platform 1 was originally going to be the Bay for ex GWR Launceston/ Tavistock South services. There is no track in situ and the srea is used for car parking

In 1974 platforms 2 and 3 were bisected leaving a walkover crossing at Platform level directly onto Platform 4. Platform 3 (west End) is used as a Bay but Platform 2 (West End) is only used for stabling units generally. Platform 2 and 3 (East End) are not numbered and were used for Parcels traffic till withdrawl of this commodity.

Status
Not open for further replies.