• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with "missing" platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Established Member
Not strictly relevant to this thread, but Oxford has an unual numbering system in that if you are looking north, the platform on the left is "2", right "1" and the north bay to right of platform 1 is "3". Hopefully these anomolies will change once Chiltern Trains have built new platforms over the old parcels depot for their new service .

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
One recent rebuilding and renumbering with a missing number is Caledonian Road and Barnsbury.

Previously (until last year) the platforms, like many on the North London line, weren't numbered, just labelled "East" and "West". The old Westbound platform is now disused, and now forms part of the pathway to the bridge to the new, central island platform, which is numbered Platforms 2 and 3.

(The station layout shown on the National Rail website still shows the old layout)

a1a.a1a

Also, isn't Newhaven Marine labelled as Platform 3 although it is a 1 platform station.
CORRECT.

Seaford at the end of the branch has 2 terminal platforms but only one of them is used - Platform 2.

Track lifted from Pl1 when the box was abolished about 10 to 15 years ago AFAIK.

The Colonel

Clapham Junction's platform 1 is blocked by some signalling or Network Rail equipment at the London end, hence it wasn't brought back into service by LOROL.

Partially correct, but its more to do with the condition of the viaduct as I understand things.

Also; Farnborough Main shows signs of having at least two more platforms than current (Where the car-park is now located),

This was a platform for the military and AFAIK were never used by public services.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
CORRECT.

Seaford at the end of the branch has 2 terminal platforms but only one of them is used - Platform 2.

Track lifted from Pl1 when the box was abolished about 10 to 15 years ago AFAIK.

As far as I know, the platform at Seaford is unnumbered, but it was about 2 years since I was there. Also, I thought the line was singled in the 1970s, at least that is when Bishopstone was...

d9009alycidon

I notice fromt the current station facilities map that the low level platforms at Glasgow Queen Street are now numbered 8 and 9, for many years these were numbered 9 and 10, the previous 8 and 9 outside the main station roof were demolished around 1967 and this is where the car park is now.

Jim

martinsh

Established Member
Shrewsbury has no platforms 1 or 2 at all - not just disused for passengers, I think. I guess they must have been built over?

Platforms 1 & 2 at Shrewsbury were bays at the south end to the west of platform 3. I think they are still there (minus track) if you know where to look. Taken out of use in the 1960s.

JoeGJ1984

Platforms 1 & 2 at Shrewsbury were bays at the south end to the west of platform 3. I think they are still there (minus track) if you know where to look. Taken out of use in the 1960s.

Yes, I have spotted them at Shrewsbury station - there's a space where the platforms/tracks used to be.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Also, isn't Newhaven Marine labelled as Platform 3 although it is a 1 platform station? I also remember Heysham Port being similar in that it once had one platform, labelled '3', a few years ago.

I believe there used to be a line with a platform either side at Marine a while back in the middle of where the (rather wide) platform is now.

a1a.a1a

As far as I know, the platform at Seaford is unnumbered, but it was about 2 years since I was there. Also, I thought the line was singled in the 1970s, at least that is when Bishopstone was...

After an investigation (Google) the line was singled in 1975 but Seaford Box closed (permanently) in 2002 which is when my local scout believes the siding and rails in platform one were lifted (2002).

As far as the platform goes, all trains do depart plat 2 as per NRES and CIS.

BTW - Plat 2 @ Seaford was originally to be a through platform linking Seaford to Eastbourne.... that never came to owt tho.

exile

Established Member
Stockport has a platform 0, if no-one's mentioned this already.

Edinburgh Waverley's platform numbers still reflect its past when it had 21 platforms.

rjhglover

Stamford had a Platform 3 where the train from Rugby Midland used to terminate. Used to be able to see the track bed until a few years ago.

lyesbkz

I believe, if I remember correctly, that Chambéry in France has platforms A, B, C, D, E and 4 or something similar?

alexf380

Established Member
Waverley is odd that 5 and 6 are still missing after the renumbering. It used to have more missing. To be honest I can't remember what the old numbers on the Southbound end were.

former Platforms 2 and 3, which were latterly used for parcels/mail traffic only and were removed in the 1980s when a new Royal Mail facility was built on their site;
former Platforms 4 and 5 were also retained for parcels/mail traffic until this ceased; Platform 5 was reopened to passengers in 2006 as the new Platform 3;
former platforms 6 and 7, of which only the latter survives, now numbered 4; and
former Platforms 8 and 9, which were substantially shortened for use as a Motorail terminus, the infilled area becoming a car park; since the demise of Motorail services these platforms are used only for locomotive stabling, although the numbers 5/6 were reserved for them in the 2006 renumbering.
The former Down Main through Platforms 7 (east end) and 8 (west end) are at the south side of the main station, and comprise a single very long platform with a crossover in the centre. They are numbered 7 (formerly 10, east end) and 11 (west end).

At the west end there has been little change to the terminating platforms, apart from widening them by removing disused centre-road tracks. The platforms comprise (south-north) numbers 12/13, 14/15, 16/17 and bay Platform 18. These were not affected by the 2006 platform renumbering scheme.

The only platforms outwith Waverley's overall roof are the former 'Suburban' Platforms 8 and 9 (formerly 21 and 20), a lengthy island platform. These are on the southern edge of the station, adjacent to the former freight depot (now a car park).

A need to increase capacity for through and west-end traffic led to three new platforms being built in 2006, on land formerly occupied by disused sidings and bypass lines within the main part of the station. Platform 10 is a through platform at the west end, facing Platform 11. Platforms 1 and 20 are a single long through platform facing Platforms 2 and 19.
Taken from Wikipedia

NightatLaira

Malton is a single platform station like many others, however Malton feels the need to number its platform '1' and also provide announcements to that effect - just in case anyone gets it confused with any other platform. :lol:

Schnellzug

Established Member
The bay at Bournemouth I think is never used now as it's too short.

It can be used for terminating 4 coach trains, I think Southern was the last to use it when they went that far.

Weymouth, before it was rebuilt, was a bit idiosyncratic; it went 3,4,5,6, platform 2 used to be a bay at the end of 3, but where no.1 ever was was lost in the mists of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.