• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with multiple routes to London (or other big cities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Daft question, probably been asked many times before but how many stations out there have regular direct services to multiple London terminals? Cambridge for example has a frequent service to both London Kings Cross and to London Liverpool Street. Edinburgh has a frequent service to Kings Cross and a couple of trains a day to Euston. Reading has frequent trains to Paddington and to Waterloo. I'm sure there are tons of other examples.

Some ground rules for the sake of avoiding repetition, no bending the rules with having multiple stations along the Thameslink corridor if a single train calls at them all, its not really what I was asking for. If there is a cluster of stations in a row which have services going to multiple London terminals then feel free to name them all, I suspect this is especially common on the Southern. Oh, and for the sake of trivia if there are any similar examples going into other big cities (Banbury and Leamington Spa have frequent services going into Birmingham New Street and Birmingham Moor Street/Snow Hill) mention them too.

Ta.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leeds, Wakefield Westgate and Doncaster all have direct EMT services to St Pancras as well as the EC services to Kings X. (York as well on a weekend)

MCR247

Established Member
Well trying to avoid the obvious London metro ones on SE and SN, Southampton does with Southern and SWT.
Exeter St David's with SWT and FGW
Would Bristol count?
Leeds does, as does Wakefield Westgate and I believe Doncaster
York does

David Goddard

Established Member
Lincoln is a good one here-
Once daily service to both Kings Cross and St Pancras
In both cases the Kings Cross train departs later and arrives earlier.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Bromley South has Victoria and Thameslink services (in fact, almost anywhere south of the river with Thameslink services also has them to Victoria, Charing Cross or Cannon Street- and/or to the non-Thameslink parts of London Bridge or St Pancras). The south London network is truly a tangle!

Great Northern inner services run to Kings Cross and Moorgate.

Portsmouth, Southampton and Epsom (and others?) have services to Victoria and Waterloo. Exeter, like Reading, has services to Waterloo and Paddington.

Edinburgh Waverly and Haymarket have trains to both Glasgow Central and Queen Street- both levels in the latter case.

Monty

Established Member
Reading has services to Paddington and Waterloo provided by FGW and SWT respectively.

Edits: Opps did'nt see Jopsuk mention of Reading there! :oops:

Cletus

Established Member
Dover Priory - Charing Cross, Cannon Street, Victoria, St Pancras.

Ashford International too (+ Thameslink services).

Robinson

Well trying to avoid the obvious London metro ones on SE and SN, Southampton does with Southern and SWT.

Ditto Portsmouth and Guildford (the latter only served by SN at peak times though).

Other examples (that I know of):

Glasgow Central still has 1 East Coast service daily to King's Cross, so that can also be added.

Inverness and Aberdeen both see EC services to King's Cross and the ScotRail sleeper to Euston.

Hastings and St Leonards Warrior Square have SE and SN services to London.

Brighton has SN and FCC Thameslink (although these are due to be merged in the next few years).

Glasgow and Edinburgh have 4 different routes connecting them (via Falkirk High, via Airdrie-Bathgate, via Shotts and via Carstairs).

Newton (Lanarkshire) has the choice of via the Cathcart Circle or via Rutherglen to reach Glasgow Central.

Dalmuir, Dumbarton and Helensburgh have the choice of North Clyde services to Glasgow Queen Street low-level or West Highland Line services to the high level station.

Ayr can be reached from Glasgow Central either via Kilwinning or a limited service runs via Kilmarnock.

Southport and Wigan have the choice of via Westhoughton or via Daisy Hill to reach Manchester.

Stalybridge has the choice of via Ashton-under-Lyne to Victoria or direct to Piccadilly.

Manchester and Leeds have 3 routes between them (direct via Huddersfield to Piccadilly, via Bradford or via Brighouse to Victoria).

Crewe has the choice of via Manchester Airport or Stockport to reach Manchester.

From Warrington it's either from Central via Birchwood or from Bank Quay via Newton-le-Willows.

dvboy

Established Member
Am I right in thinking Worcester also has services into both Birmingham New Street and Birmingham Moor Street?

I can't think of any other London examples.

David Goddard

Established Member
Both Liverpool Lime Street and Leeds have services to Manchester Piccadilly and Victoria

Banbury has trains to (as mentioned before) Birmingham New Street and Moor Street
and also to London Paddington and Marylebone.
Oxford will join it on completion of the latest Evergreen project.

ollyrogers

Technically, you could argue the pedantic point that most stations have routes into all London stations... Services on the other hand...!

But that would make me unpopular, so I won't mention it again :lol:

Cletus

Established Member
The original post does say:-
"how many stations out there have regular direct services to multiple London terminals?"

eastdyke

Established Member
Unless I missed it in the thread, Southend (usually) has 2 services.

Some Cambridge line services to both LST and KGX are from King's Lynn / Ely.

class156

Edinburgh to Birmingham New Street is served by two routes, via Preston and via York.

Searle

Established Member
Bristol has 3 services into Waterloo and regular ones into Paddington.
Bedford into St Pancras and Euston (changing at Bletchley)
Upminster into Fenchurch Street or Liverpool Street (changing at Romford)

Mike99

Fareham has a service all day to London Waterloo from Platform 1 via Botley and Basingstoke, in the afternoon one service from Platform 3 heads off in the opposite direction via Cosham, Havant and Guildford, both operated by South West Trains

musicking1306

Bristol has 3 services into Waterloo and regular ones into Paddington.
Bedford into St Pancras and Euston (changing at Bletchley)
Upminster into Fenchurch Street or Liverpool Street (changing at Romford)

You can get to Liverpool st from upminster on a Sunday direct (or is that Barking)

Robinson

Fareham has a service all day to London Waterloo from Platform 1 via Botley and Basingstoke, in the afternoon one service from Platform 3 heads off in the opposite direction via Cosham, Havant and Guildford, both operated by South West Trains

Don't forget the hourly SN service to Victoria via Cosham...

Dumpton Park

Last time I checked, Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs had direct services to and from:

London St P
London Vic
London CX
London Cannon Street (Mon to Fri)

As an added bonus, in the peaks Margate and Broadstairs have services to/from St P that leave in/arrive from opposite directions.

Dp

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Last time I checked, Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs had direct services to and from:

London St P
London Vic
London CX

As an added bonus, in the peaks Margate and Broadstairs have services to/from St P that leave in/arrive from opposite directions.

Dp

That happens at Exeter St Davids too with their Paddington and Waterloo services exiting via the north and south ends of the station respectively.

p123

Dalmuir goes to Glasgow Queen St (both low and high level), as well as Central.

Motherwell I think still has services to both Euston and King's Cross.

Aberdeen and Inverness both have services to both Euston (Cally sleeper) and King's X (East Coast).

Liam

Established Member
Dalmuir goes to Glasgow Queen St (both low and high level), as well as Central.

Motherwell I think still has services to both Euston and King's Cross.

Aberdeen and Inverness both have services to both Euston (Cally sleeper) and King's X (East Coast).

As of course do all other stops on those services, not limited to Dundee, Perth, Aviemore, Kirkcaldy, Stirling, Pitlochry etc. Is Gleneagles the smallest place to have direct services to two or more London terminals?

user15681

Established Member
Most stations in Kent do. My local, Sittingbourne, has trains to London Victoria and St Pancras International every half hour. Mon-Fri, there are also trains to London Cannon Street.

Stations further up, like Gillingham and Chatham, have services to 4 London termini, the three mentioned above as well as London Charing Cross.

Gathursty

Established Member
I've seen a service from Lancaster going via Birmingham New Street into London Euston so there must be a few places beyond Crewe upto Glasgow Central where you can enter London in two routes.

dvboy

Established Member
From Stafford there are two routes to Manchester and two routes to Liverpool but in both cases, they go into the same station.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
As of course do all other stops on those services, not limited to Dundee, Perth, Aviemore, Kirkcaldy, Stirling, Pitlochry etc. Is Gleneagles the smallest place to have direct services to two or more London terminals?

Kings Sutton (pop 2000) in Northamptonshire is smaller and has no world famous golf course nearby either. That has direct trains to Marylebone (hourly, two hourly in the off peaks) and Paddington (half a dozen or so a day).

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Tsk tsk. This thread has been open for over 6 hours now, you'd have thought with the knowledge on these forums, every single answer would've long since gone. Yet it seems noone has mentioned Hertford (Kings Cross, Moorgate and Liverpool Street - which considering how small a town Hertford is is pretty good going!)

Clip

Established Member

London St P
London Vic
London CX

Dp

Worth pointing out(and keeping in line with the original question) that the bottom 2 do not have regular services from Margate after the morning peak - you would have to change to get to them.

Also add Catnerbury West to that list too.

Status
Not open for further replies.