• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with terminating services but no terminating platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
From a thread posted a few days a go "Biggest place with no terminating services", someone posted a reply about stations with no terminating platforms but with terminating services. Maybe we can turn that subject into a new thread.

So are there any stations with terminating services but no terminating platform, so the line goes straight through the platform. Ones I can think of are

Ellesmere port
Worcester foregate street
Harrow and Wealdstone

Do you know any stations with terminating services but no terminating platforms? Post down below :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNERman

Established Member
From a thread posted a few days a go "Biggest place with no terminating services", someone posted a reply about stations with no terminating platforms but with terminating services. Maybe we can turn that subject into a new thread.

So are there any stations with terminating services but no terminating platform, so the line goes straight through the platform. Ones I can think of are

Ellesmere port
Worcester foregate street
Harrow and Wealdstone

Do you know any stations with terminating services but no terminating platforms? Post down below :D

Clitheroe
Both Wakefield Stations
Halifax
Ribblehead
Bidston
Liverpool S Parkway
Horsforth
Knaresborough
Sunderland
Hexham

To name a few...

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
By terminating platforms I assume you mean bay platforms? So the question is stations that only have through platforms (ie, you can exit with a train from either end rather than crash into a set of buffer stops) but have terminating services?

It's going to be a very long list my friend. There a hundreds of these stations on the network.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Yes, I mean stations with through platforms. I didn't know that there are lots of stations with through platforms but terminating services. I only know of a few.
If the list is going to be a long list, maybe it would be a good idea to lock this thread up?

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
New street has a terminating platform at the Wolverhampton end of the station, when I have caught Liverpool services from new street most often than not they leave from that bay platform.

Lampshade

Established Member
Marple, Wilmslow, Hazel Grove, New Mills Central, Oxenholme Lake District, Rochdale (technically), Knottingley, Wakefield Westgate...

bnm

Established Member
Weston-super-Mare
Great Malvern
Hereford
Moreton-in-Marsh
Cardiff Central
Westbury
Bedwyn
Didcot Parkway
Redhill
Cheltenham Spa
Bristol Parkway
Maidenhead
Frome
Avonmouth
Romsey

.... are just some in FGW-served land.

John Webb

Established Member
St Albans City station has a turn-back line between the Up and Down Slow lines north of the station platforms - so we have terminating trains but no bay platform.

Before this arrangement came into use with electrification of the line there were facilities for terminating down trains on either the Down slow or the Up Slow platforms and returning them towards London either as service trains or as ECS. Our extended demonstration facilities at St Albans South enable us to show how this was done.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
There are tonnes. Without even thinking I can name four.
Cardiff Central
Cardiff Queen Street
Pontypridd
Radyr

Quite a number of them in Scotland including:
Elgin
Carnoustie
Dyce
Inverurie
Stonehaven
Markinch
Kirkcaldy
Glenrothes
Carenden
Dunblane
Newcraighall
Dunbar
Carstairs
Cumbernauld
Bathgate
Falkirk gramston
And many more.

bicbasher

Established Member
While West Croydon has a terminating platform on P1 for Southern, LO services use P4 to terminate and return from P3.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
MKC has a bay whoever said that. Leicester, Spalding, Sleaford, Newark (Castle and Northgate), Bangor, Chathill, Morpeth, Metrocentre, Middlesbrough...

richard1976

That's a good suggestion but is dubious because services are advertised as terminating there but continue straight through rather than terminate and reverse out the way it came in

All services from Kirkby and Ormskirk terminate at Liverpool central before reversing. Only wirral line trains continue through

Jedipickles

Dover Priory, Ashford Int'l, Ramsgate, Margate, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells, Maidstone West are some i can think of in the South East.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Sittingbourne.

Dover Priory, Ashford Int'l, Ramsgate, Margate, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells, Maidstone West are some i can think of in the South East.

Dover Priory has terminating platforms. I'm sure Hastings does too, but it's been a while since I've been there.

TrainBoy98

In my area there is a few, West Worthing, Barnham, Hove, Gatwick Airport, Southampton Central, Poole, Ore, Ashford International, Ramsgate, Tonbridge, Haywards Heath, South Croydon, Milton Keynes, Birmingham New Street, Wandsworth Road, West Croydon, Reigate. Thats not all of them but they're the ones that I can think of right this minute.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
In my area there is a few, West Worthing, Barnham, Hove, Gatwick Airport, Southampton Central, Poole, Ore, Ashford International, Ramsgate, Tonbridge, Haywards Heath, South Croydon, Milton Keynes, Birmingham New Street, Wandsworth Road, West Croydon, Reigate. Thats not all of them but they're the ones that I can think of right this minute.

Good list there mate! Birmingham new street has a bay platform though and I think Milton keynes does as well, but good list !

Status
Not open for further replies.