• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with tunnels next to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsangpogorge

Does Haywards Heath count? There's a tunnel a few hundred yards to the south, isn't this particular tunnel the biggest barrier to four tracking the route between Balcombe tunnel junction and Brighton?

tsr

Established Member
Does Haywards Heath count? There's a tunnel a few hundred yards to the south, isn't this particular tunnel the biggest barrier to four tracking the route between Balcombe tunnel junction and Brighton?

Very good point - I think it does! Not sure how I forgot that one from my list. Though some might argue that Balcombe Tunnel and the Ouse Valley Viaduct are the rather larger obstacles to quadruple track!

mailbyrail

Box station was not close to Box Tunnel - there was another tunnel - Middle Hill - and station - Box Mill Lane Halt - in between.
Corsham station was the other end of Box Tunnel.

MotCO

Established Member
Elmstead Woods.

Does Bromley South count - the main A21 goes over it half way down in a small tunnel (or does it only count as a bridge)?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Would Charing Cross (Glasgow) count, as part of the platforms are in the tunnel

Green Lane I recall has a tunnel one end of the station

fgwrich

Established Member
Different Gauge, Same country. Botanic (Belfast), Downshire and Castlerock - Northern Ireland. Downshire is more of a recent long road tunnel.

And Aberdeen?

Ibex

Given recent events, Watford Junction is probably an obvious answer!

Spamcan81

If West Hoathly ever gets reopened on the Bluebell it will be adjacent to Sharpthorne Tunnel.
Grosmont on the NYMR is close to a tunnel too.

fgwrich

Established Member
That's just a bridge with a building on it. If that counts then so does Ealing Broadway.

Well, almost! It does has a tunnel close to it though, it's about as far out as Southampton Central is but I was thinking of the one just on from the station.

North Quensferry, Inverkeithing could be in there- just!

Attachments

• IMG_6367.PNG
    IMG_6367.PNG
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 42

Deepgreen

Established Member
Very good point - I think it does! Not sure how I forgot that one from my list. Though some might argue that Balcombe Tunnel and the Ouse Valley Viaduct are the rather larger obstacles to quadruple track!

Quadrupling (or even sextupling if the South Croydon to Earlswood section is considered) is more likely to be achieved by the so-called BML2 route re-instatement via Uckfield.

Scouseinmanc

New Mills Central
Diggle (now closed)
Old Trafford (now Trafford Bar Mcr Metrolink)
Heaton Park (now Mcr Metrolink)

Thought of a few more:

St Rollox, Glasgow (now closed)
Oldham Central (now closed)
Bury Bolton Street (now HQ of the East Lancs Railway)

Last edited:

IanKR

Kidbrooke is pretty close to a tunnel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Funny you should mention that just as I was posting, because the tunnel between Kidbrooke and Blackheath was similarly built because of a landowner not wanting the railway.

And the sign at the tunnel mouth at the Blackheath end says "Kidbrook Tunnel" [sic]

BurtonM

No mention of Stalybridge yet.
Or the Great Northern for that matter, then again they're in a tunnel.
Marsden (possibly).
Wapping and whatever's at the other end of Brunel's Thames tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.