• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with unnumbered platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedpan

Established Member
For example Esher used to have 4 platform faces, platform 1 on the up slow, platform 3 on the down slow, and an island (which is still there but now unused) in the middle between the fast lines which was known as platform 2.

The only train that I can recall using platform 2 was in the 1960s when the 18.14 from Waterloo which I think was the only non stop service, it stopped in platfrom 2 (down side) and then crossed to the slow line immediately after leaving the station. They were old Southern Railway platform signs in those days, and I can't believe that the platform face on the up side was never ever used in the life of the station.

There wewre also 2 or 3 other unnumbered platforms in sidings on the up immidiately south of the station which were used on Sandown Park race days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
most branchline stations with just 1 platform arent numbered, or do you mean stations with multiple platforms?

Bedpan

Established Member
Well, I was thinking of stations with multople platforms, particulaly where there are/were more platform faces than platform numbers. I wonder if Esher was unique in the way that the centre island was known as platform 2.

dan_atki

Established Member
Ascot's an interesting one (completely bizarre station if you ask me).

The platform face opposite platform 1 is unnumbered (there's only the one track between them) but has a CIS screen displaying the p1 departures, even though the trains do not open their doors that side...

Scotrail84

Established Member
There are 2 buffer ends at Aberdeen that are now not numbered and are classed as a yard. I think they are the old platforms 1+2 (confirmation needed), now used to stable sets and locos waiting thier next turns of duty.

Adam_Harrison

Harltlepool has 3 platforms, 1 in use which EVERY passenger train calls at, one sidings type platform and one empty unused platform. None have numbers

Established Member
Apart from the Darlington direct services on a Sunday, the bay is rarely used. Have seen a DRS 20 in there once, think it broke down on a Seaton flask run. THink Hartlepool had more platforms before as well, where the cinema now stands

Capybara

That's interesting stuff about Esher as I pass through there quite a lot.. Do you mean that the up fast platform was never actually used? And the bit about the bay platforms is interesting too as there is still evidence of a line going off on that side just before you enter the station when heading towards London. I had always assumed it was an old coal siding or something.

Dunblane probably counts if this is what you are meaning.

3 Platforms but only 2 are numbered, the 3rd platform is only used for arriving local services where passengers can disembark. The train then continues onto the main line where it reverses back into the Up platform to return to Glasgow or Edinburgh. There is no crossover at the south of the station so all arriving services need around 10 mins to turn round and depart again, that is dependant of any fast Down services heading North.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Harltlepool has 3 platforms, 1 in use which EVERY passenger train calls at, one sidings type platform and one empty unused platform. None have numbers

According to Quail map 2 Hartlepool through is plat 1 and the bay is 2. I assume the disused one was p3.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are 2 buffer ends at Aberdeen that are now not numbered and are classed as a yard. I think they are the old platforms 1+2 (confirmation needed), now used to stable sets and locos waiting thier next turns of duty.

Confirmed. 1 and 2.

Established Member
According to Quail map 2 Hartlepool through is plat 1 and the bay is 2. I assume the disused one was p3.

Don't think they have been numbered this way for a while, although it may have changed with the refurbishment.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Barking has a platform with no number, between Platforms 1 (Gospel Oak line) and 2 (LU District line eastbound). District line trains open their doors on both sides, to both platform 2 and the unnumbered one.

Bedpan

Established Member
That's interesting stuff about Esher as I pass through there quite a lot.. Do you mean that the up fast platform was never actually used? And the bit about the bay platforms is interesting too as there is still evidence of a line going off on that side just before you enter the station when heading towards London. I had always assumed it was an old coal siding or something.

I can't say that it was never used, but it didn't have a number.

I grew up in Esher and certainly the up fast platform wasn't used for timetabled trains after about 1958, if not before (I was too young to know before that). I think it was used in times of disruption when a fast train was stopped there to pick up passengers. I got off a down train there once, when the down lines were closed for engineering work and all down trains were diverted onto the up fast, with the up slow being used for up trains.

The goods yard at Esher was on the down side, where the car park is now situated. The goods shed is still there, just on the London side of the main station building. There were three sidings and a head shunt as far as I remember.

The "new" building is situated on the part of the platform which installed across the entrance to the goods yard when the platforms were extended to take 12 car trains. Before that, the booking office was at street level and the stairs to all the platforms led down to the pavement on the road under the bridge (the staircases were on the country side of the bridge and the entrance to the island platform, now bricked up, can still be seen.

Capybara

Yes, I'd spotted the staircase to street level but I didn't know about the goods yard and shed. Something else to look out for. Thanks.

Established Member
Interestingly, since the new announcements were put in place, the through platform is announced as platform 1. Not sure if the bay is announced as platform 2 on a Sunday though. Quite a nice jolly to Darlington, even if it is just you on the train - very underused.

Any Permitted

King's Lynn has an unused platform which should, logically be Platform 1 on the south side of the station but it's un-numbered with the north platform being Platform 1 and the northern bay Platform 2.

Established Member
Someone was telling me that they didn't realise Hartlepool had another platform, so nearly missed the Darlington train. Not surprising if you're waiting in the bit next to the ticket office.

Status
Not open for further replies.