• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you've changed trains at but never left

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
in the 1980s the train split with a portion going to Thurso and one to Wick. I would get off the train and photograph and wait for the return. Simples
Ah, okay. I never travelled that way when they split, so doing that today it wouldn't be a change of train, just waiting for to come back the same train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Ah, okay. I never travelled that way when they split, so doing that today it wouldn't be a change of train, just waiting for to come back the same train.
Thinking about it, I used to get off the train, watch the loco being attached to the rear and also get on that portion. You could argue when I did it that way there was not really a change of train.

However it has brought back another memory. I used to get an overnight train that left Edinburgh for Inverness and joined with a Glasgow portion at Perth (so two different locos so far, then the up portion from Inverness would cross but both stop at Pitlochrie (I think but my records are back in the UK) may have been a driver and crew changeover too, I would detrain, walk over the footbridge without leaving the station and get on that portion to Glasgow. I think it was about 03.15 in the morning. Crazy things I did in those days for haulage. Never ever left that station.

So now I think about it, haulage related, I have never left the station at Stalybridge. I would do Victoria to Staly on a generator or Peak, get off at Stalybridge, cross platforms and get another train back to Victoria. In the 1980s there were Liverpool Newcastles and Liverpool Scarboroughs and Liverpoool Yorks. Plenty of haulage by loco.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Thinking about it, I used to get off the train, watch the loco being attached to the rear and also get on that portion. You could argue when I did it that way there was not really a change of train.

However it has brought back another memory. I used to get an overnight train that left Edinburgh for Inverness and joined with a Glasgow portion at Perth (so two different locos so far, then the up portion from Inverness would cross but both stop at Pitlochrie (I think but my records are back in the UK) may have been a driver and crew changeover too, I would detrain, walk over the footbridge without leaving the station and get on that portion to Glasgow. I think it was about 03.15 in the morning. Crazy things I did in those days for haulage. Never ever left that station.

So now I think about it, haulage related, I have never left the station at Stalybridge. I would do Victoria to Staly on a generator or Peak, get off at Stalybridge, cross platforms and get another train back to Victoria. In the 1980s there were Liverpool Newcastles and Liverpool Scarboroughs and Liverpoool Yorks. Plenty of haulage by loco.
I think you are my long lost twin!

At least as far as the first and third paragraphs go.

I went to Georegmas Junction, and on to Thurso in 1986. It wasn't until last year that I got Georgemas Junction to Wick! The trees in the flow country were being planted back in 1986, last year they were being harvested!

Status
Not open for further replies.