• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you've changed trains at but never left

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Over on another thread @xotGD said:
That could be a whole new thread. I have been to plenty of places where I never left the station.
It'll be interesting if there are some (un)popular stations named. For me, I can only think of Retford at the moment, changed there a few times for Lincoln.

Edit: Just thought of another one (possibly two): Carmarthen changing for Fishguard Harbour, and possibly Fishguard Harbour itself (since you board a bus and get driven onto the ferry).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Highbury & Islington on the London Overground is probably the only one for me. I went there once a couple of years ago - changed from one Overground service heading one way to one going the other. The destinations of those trains I cannot remember! :)

-Peter

Jayden99

Moorgate for me, between the Met and the NCL. Despite Marlylebone being "my" London terminal, I've never actually been through the front doors, always getting straight on the Bakerloo

Alex365Dash

I don't really pop over to many places, so I can name quite a few!

Guildford (between Portsmouth Direct Line and the North Downs Line)
Clapham Junction (interchange between South Western Railway and either the Overground or Southern)
Reading (between the North Downs Line and Great Western Mainline)
Oxford (got off Chiltern from Banbury, onto GWR to Reading)
Leamington Spa (from CrossCountry to West Midlands Railway)
West Brompton (from Overground to Underground)
If we're counting London Underground stations, also Earl's Court (changing from District to Piccadilly).

westralian

Hyndland, Dalmuir, Dumbarton Central, Cambuslang, Westerton, Stirling and Clapham Junction.

Dalmuir is the most frequent as I live near the Argyle line east of Glasgow Central so it's a convenient change of train from the West Highland line after a day of hiking to avoid the Queen Street to Argyle Street walk.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Bletchley.

Turfed off a Euston bound train which was suffering from "rail adhesion" problems, and had to wait some time for another one.

Also Doncaster and Leamington Spa.

6Gman

Established Member
On a journey from Crewe to Aberdeen in the 1960s we changed trains at Dundee. But I've never seen the city.

Dyfi Junction and Afonwen both fit the bill, since it is/was hard to leave them to be honest.

Gaerwen may also qualify (changed there for Amlwch).

Guildford (though I can't quite remember why).

I spent a day bashing the loco-hauleds between Edinburgh and Dundee in the early 80s. A couple of places there will qualify - Markinch? Ladybank?

jfollows

Established Member
Absolutely loads of places, on the WCML alone I can think of
Rugby (for Northampton)
Nuneaton (for Leicester and for Coventry)
Lichfield TV (for Birmingham)
Tamworth (for Gloucester)
Rugeley (for Birmingham)
Stafford (I once arrived by Rail Replacement Bus though)
Oxenholme
Penrith
and that's all since travelling regularly since the late 1970s.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Off the top of my head...
Smethwick Galton Bridge
Wolverhampton
Kirkham & Wesham
Queens Park
Reading
Basingstoke
Exeter St Davids
Westbury
Earlestown
Edinburgh Waverley

Frankfurt-Main Hbf
Cheb hl.n
Barcelona Sants (changing to Metro)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think I've exited any of these National Rail interchange stations, all of which I'm reasonably sure I have changed trains at, though it's hard to be certain!
  • Westerton
  • Springburn
  • Anniesland
  • Kilwinning
  • Whiffet
  • Inverkeithing
  • Kirkby
  • Shotton
  • Ellesmere Port
  • Habrough
  • Ely
  • Marks Tey
  • Witham
  • Shenfield
  • Stourbridge Junction
  • Maidenhead
  • St Erth
  • Faversham
I'm sure I have exited at most places where I have changed trains.

mmh

Established Member
Partick
Smethwick Galton Bridge
Birmingham Snow Hill
Wrexham General
Shrewsbury
The last Merseyrail station before the Ellesmere Port branch

Abroad:
Millbrae (Caltrain)
Richmond (Amtrak California)

And Newport (Wales). Didn't change trains there, but had my First Great Western assessment day there and didn't leave the station.

I've changed from a Hertford East to Liverpool Street service to a Liverpool Street to Cambridge train at Broxbourne, didn't go out of the station at Broxbourne. I got off one train and practically got straight on another.
Every other time I've changed trains I've had sufficient time to go outside and have a walk.

Ianigsy

Wolverhampton
Newport Gwent
Faversham
St Erth
Truro
Brighouse
Barrow in Furness

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I've alighted the sleeper at St Austell and Truro, crossed the bridge and taken the very next Eastbound service back again, starting my return portion and splitting at Plymouth. Much more civilised 9am arrival into Plymouth rather than 5am.

dgl

Established Member
For me it's,

NR

Weybridge
Reading
Castle Cary
Virginia Water
Liskeard (to change to the Looe valley line, which does mean leaving the mainline station)
Westbury

TFL

Green Park
Shadwell
Picadilly Circus
Whitechapel

xotGD

Established Member
Way too many to list them all, but in terms of major places:

Dundee
Perth
Barrow
Lancaster
Wakefield
Halifax
Hull
Grantham
Worksop
Peterborough
Ely
Ipswich
Brighton
Portsmouth (both stations)
Southampton
Plymouth

Also various end of the line places including:

Stranraer
Oban
Mallaig
Wick
Thurso
Lowestoft
Pwllheli

Iskra

Established Member
Cardiff
Edinburgh
London Paddington (train onto Tube)
Bristol Temple Meads
Upwey
Brough
Crewe
Lincoln

vlad

Stations include:

Boscarne Junction
Cheltenham Spa
Lichfield Trent Valley
Oxenholme
Peterborough
St Erth
Stratford

The list would be longer if I allowed stations I have actually left but only as I didn't fancy just sitting and waiting for my connection, or to find somewhere selling food (such as Barrow-in-Furness or Aviemore).

richw

Veteran Member
Taunton.
Castle Cary I think (wherever I changed travelling Weymouth To Taunton)
westbury

mrcheek

Established Member
Got to be lots on my list.

Obvious ones like Crewe, Doncaster, Llandudno Junction. Also Lancaster, Aberdeen, Dundee, Barrow-in-Furness, Bidston, Chester, Derby, Coventry, Lichfield Trent Valley, Rugeley Trent Valley, Retford, Westbury, Upwey, Par, Truro, St Erth, Liskeard, Yatton, Tiverton (both those last 2 after getting on the wrong train at Exeter in case you're wondering). There must be loads more
Edit: Reading, Slough, Twyford, Castle Cary. Brockenhurst, Havant, Barnham, Horsham, Lewes, St Leonards Warrior Square. Ashford International, Tonbridge, Sittingbourne.
Stratford International (got on the wrong train again).
Peterborough, Ipswich, Worksop. Glenrothes with Thornton. Darlington, Oxenholme Lake District. Paisley Gilmour Street. Hyndland, Westerton. Ormskirk, Manchester Oxford Road, Warrington Bank Quay, Liverpool South Parkway.
Stoke on Trent, Shrewsbury, Wrexham General, Machnynlleth. Wolverhampton, Stourbridge Junction, Leamington Spa, Worcester Foregate Street, Carmarthen.
Thorpe-le-Soken, Watford Junction, Bedford, Bletchley. Upminster, Shenfield, Wickford, Witham. Colchester, Stevenage. Gospel Oak, Stratford, West Croydon, Sutton, Banbury, Basingstoke

Oh yeah, Wllesden Junction, Harrow and Wealdstone, Aylesbry, Kettering, Sheffield Meadowhall, Blackburn, Hull, Habrough, Barnetby. Blackfriars, Cannon Street, Clapham Junction.
Stafford, Tamworth, Nuneaton. Bridgend, Romsey, Eastleigh, Portsmouth and Southsea. Lymington Pier.
Redhill, Woking, Hurst Green, Oxted. Barking, Staines, Richmond, Gatwick Airport, Purley, Alton. Hamilton Square
Edinburgh Haymarket. Kilwinning. Montrose, Seamer

I think Im winning this thread!

Do we include terminus stations where we arrive and leave on the same train, sometimes without even getting off the train (where its a different service rather than a mere reversal)?
Because if we do: Aberdare, Treherbert, Milford Haven, Fishguard Harbour, Maesteg, Merthyr Tydfil, Rhymney, Ebbw Vale Parkway (when the line terminated there. I have since been on to Ebbw Vale Town, and went for a walk this time!), Coryton, Severn Beach, Marlow, Shepperton, Heysham Port, Barton-on-Humber, Sheringham, Southminster, Bishop Auckland, Largs, Gourock, Tweedbank, Matlock, Greenford, Aylesbury Vale Parkway

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Off top of head....

Thorpe-le-Soken
Edmonton Green
Liskeard
Par
Truro
St Erth
Sandhills
Birkenhead North
Bidston
Llandudno Junction
Treherbert
Newark North Gate
Anniesland
Dundee
Dingwall
Falkirk High
Stirling
Darlington
Lichfield Trent Valley
Bristol Parkway
Newport (South Wales)
Sawbridgeworth
Barnes
Effingham Junction
Woking
Barnham
Hove
Lewes
Strood
Tonbridge
Herne Hill
Wickford
Marks Tey
Witham
Manningtree
Stowmarket
Hooton
Helsby
Earlestown
Kirkby
Rose Grove
Lincoln

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
There are some that I'm not surprised by - e.g. Dingwall or Stowmarket but I'm surprised that more than one person has changed at Edinburgh Waverley and never managed to make it out of the station.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Similarly places like Ely, Lewes, Stirling and Mallaig (although possibly the relative infrequency of services might be a factor at the latter).

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Mallaig, how does that even make sense - it's not an interchange for anywhere except the ferry (which involves leaving the station). Massively surprised at the likes of Edinburgh, Cardiff and Bristol on here - I exit those stations more often than I interchange there.

The ones that stick out for me looking through other posts are Lewes (changing for Falmer from London), Bidston, Newport (SW), Lichfield TV (exited from City though), Slough, Ipswich, Liverpool South Parkway and Stourbridge Junction - I exit the station at most places.

Status
Not open for further replies.