• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you've changed trains at but never left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Similarly places like Ely, Lewes, Stirling and Mallaig...
Stirling is an odd one for me - I've been to Stirling by bus (including a visit to the station) and changed train there too but never been out of the station having arrived there by train.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Warminster
Torre
Ivybridge
St Erth
Par
Lewes
Newbury
Twyford
Putney
Wandsworth Town
Wandsworth Common
Streatham Common
Selhurst
Brockley
Honor Oak Park
Forest Hill
Sydenham
Crystal Palace
West Ham
Barking
Upminster
Maryland
Ashford International
Lewes
Ipswich
Cambridge
Cambridge North
Ely
Thetford
Lowestoft
Stowmarket
Bury St. Edmund’s
Leeds
Pontefract Monkhill
Wakefield Westgate
Wakefield Kirkgate
Bingley
Huddersfield
Stalybridge
Moorside
Bolton Interchange
Marston Green
Coventry
Milton Keynes Central
Bletchley
Smethwick Galton Bridge
Sandwell & Dudley
London Fields
Homerton
Hackney Wick
Willesden Junction
Luton
Luton Airport (Parkway)
Leicester
Derby
East Midlands Parkway
Market Harborough
Warrington Bank Quay
Bache
Chester
Bridgend
Swindon
South Ruislip
West Ruislip
Ealing Broadway
Hayes and Harlington
Southall
Parkstone
Poole
Canada Water
New Cross Gate
Highbury & Islington
Canonbury
Haggerston
Shoreditch High Street
Old Street
Essex Road
Drayton Park
Audley End
Dovey Junction
Aberdovey
Langside
Pollokshaws West
Crossmyloof
Dunlop
Partick
Dunbarton Central
Dalmuir
Anderston
Exhibition Centre
Croy
Falkirk High
Stirling
Edinburgh Gateway
Inverkeithing
Weybridge
Earlsfield
Surbiton
Purley
Purley Oaks
South Croydon
Oxted
Three Bridges
Haywards Heath
Falmer
Moulsecoomb
Portslade
Durrington-on-Sea
Chichester (been there but not by train)
Cosham
St Denys

Struggling to think of more for now

xotGD

Established Member
Mallaig, how does that even make sense - it's not an interchange for anywhere except the ferry (which involves leaving the station). Massively surprised at the likes of Edinburgh, Cardiff and Bristol on here - I exit those stations more often than I interchange there.

The ones that stick out for me looking through other posts are Lewes (changing for Falmer from London), Bidston, Newport (SW), Lichfield TV (exited from City though), Slough, Ipswich, Liverpool South Parkway and Stourbridge Junction - I exit the station at most places.
Mallaig, as with many end of the line stations, arrive, perhaps get off for a photo, get the same train back. Hence Oban, Wick, Thurso, etc on my list.

Just been prompted and can add Bristol Parkway.

mikeg

Established Member
Thornaby, Chester (I think)...
Also add , Clapham Junction, Willesden Junction, Richmond (London) , all for the purposes of Watford to Staines (Thorpe Park!)

Also Reading on a work trip, yes I've never been to Reading as such...

Edit: I forgot Llandudno Junction when doing a Ffestiniog Round Robin, although had a little time to wait, so may have explored as far as the car park. Oh and Machynlleth on the same count.

CW2

Established Member
Only ones I can think of are Dovey Junction and Georgemas. I make a point of seeing what exists beyond the station buildings wherever possible.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There and back to Dingwall / Fort William for someone who's track bashing, I suppose.
Mallaig, as with many end of the line stations, arrive, perhaps get off for a photo, get the same train back. Hence Oban, Wick, Thurso, etc on my list.

Just been prompted and can add Bristol Parkway.
Ohhh of course, had me confused for a minute (I've used Mallaig but only interchanging with the ferry) :lol:

Bristol Parkway is one I've changed at several times but on about 3 of those times I've got bored and left the station for a walk - you're really not missing much with the local area

Established Member
Loads for me, though does "changing trains" include shack scores? In which case it'll probably be a four figure number! I've left many a station in the hunt for a 'Spoons or an off licence though.

I assume the mention of Mallaig above is either someone track bashing or changing from Sprinter to Jacobite?

Let's think then, though I'm just counting actual changes rather than bailing for shack scores: St. Erth, Par, Plymouth (only left to board a GWR replacement taxi), Tiverton Parkway, Bristol Parkway, Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Frome, Castle Cary, Bath Spa, Cheltenham Spa, Slough, Maidenhead, Twyford, West Ealing, Didcot Parkway, Banbury (though I've driven past the station), Great Malvern, Newport, Llanelli, Dovey Junction, Machynlleth, Southampton Central, Woking, Havant (only left to board RRBs), Basingtoke, Brockenhurst, Weybridge, Staines, Ascot, Brighton, Chichester (only to board RRB), Barnham (only been outside alighting RRB), Ramsgate, Sittingbourne, Dartford, Lewisham (only left to change onto DLR), Woolwich Arsenal, Three Bridges, Horsham, Haywards Heath, Clapham Junction, Twickenham, Barnes, Farringdon, Kentish Town, St. Albans City, Bedford, Cheshunt, Stansted Airport, Stowmarket, Manningtree, Colchester, Reedham, Welwyn Garden City, Hitchin, Grantham, Retford, Newark North Gate, Lincoln, Barnetby, East Midlands Parkway, Loughborough, Leicester, Kettering, Northampton, Rugby, Coventry, Rugeley Trent Valley, Lichfield Trent Valley, Nuneaton, Stafford, Smethwick Galton Bridge, Stourbridge Junction, Droitwich Spa, Bromsgrove, University, Jewellery Quarter, The Hawthorns, Dorridge, Stratford-upon-Avon, Blackburn, Oxenholme, Kilmarnock, Ayr, Kilwinning, Carstairs, Ardlui, Crianlarich (alighted RRB there though), Dalmuir, Dumbarton Central, Bridge of Orchy, Eaglescliffe, Dunblane, Pitlochry (changed from a Southbound train to head back North to tick Dalwhinnie).

Back in my track bashing days 1970's my list would have been similar to some of the others here with many junctions and termini but there are now very few remaining. Stourbridge junction, Bodmin Parkway, Keighley immediately coming to mind.

A couple of years ago my wife and I had a Scotland rover and went from Fort William to Mallaig changing at Crianlarich without getting off the station. The buffet there had various reviews including comment by Michael Portillo but when we asked for soup all we go was a cup a soup which had lumps.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Several.

Stoke-on-Trent
Derby
Hereford (have technically exited for a smoke but not the city)
Shrewsbury
Warrington Bank Quay
Preston
Llandudno Junction
Bolton
Sheffield
Coventry
Great Malvern
Worcestershire Parkway
Basingstoke
Weybridge
Newton Abbot
Slough
Mitcham Junction
Wimbledon
Preston Park
Canada Water
Shadwell
Whitechapel
Highbury & Islington
Finsbury Park

Probably many more than I can't think of right now!

peters

On Moderation
St Helens Junction
Newton-le-Willows
Liverpool Moorfields
Hunts Cross
Rock Ferry - I actually got off a train there as we were told the line had closed and we had to transfer to a replacement bus but before we boarded a replacement bus we were told to get back on the train as the line was reopening!
Wakefield Westgate
London Bridge
London Cannon Street
London Kings Cross

The London stations presume changing from a normal train to Underground don't count as 'exiting' the station.

si404

Established Member
Rather a lot of B stations here!

Acton Town
Ashford International
Balham*
Barking
Barnham
Barons Court*
Basingstoke
Beckton*
Becontree*
Bermondsey*
Birkenhead Hamilton Square
Birmingham Interchange
Brent Cross*
Bristol Parkway
Brixton*
Canada Water
Canning Town*
Chester
Clapham Junction
Ealing Broadway*
Epping*
Finchley Central*
Finsbury Park*
Gospel Oak
Gunnersbury
Harrow & Wealdstone*
Heathrow T2&3*
High Wycombe
Kennington*
King George V*
Leamington Spa
Mile End*
Mill Hill East*
Milton Keynes Central
Moor Park*
Morden*
Mudchute*
Oval*
Preston Road*
Stanmore*
Stockwell*
Sutton
Rayners Lane*
Richmond*
Romford
Woolwich Arsenal*
Whitechapel
White City
Willesden Junction

*LU/DLR only. A lot of these were u-turns, either as I'd burnt about half the time I was wasting, or from tube challenge/similar. I'm not counting Heathrow Terminal 4 as it is considered the same service, even though it effectively turns around there (long dwell, etc) before heading to T2&3. Mudchute and Bermondsey were stepping back maneuvers - Bermondsey to see the station as the only JLE one I hadn't explored, Mudchute for some reason I've forgotten.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
off the top of my head..
Wolverhampton
Birmingham New Street
Reading
Stockport
Llandudno Junction
Salford Crescent
Winchester
Stratford

biko

In the UK:
Newcastle and Crewe (although I spent some hours there being stranded due to a storm)
Probably some LU stations, but I made too many trips as a tourist so I don't remember the details anymore

Outside UK:
Brussels Zuid/Midi
Amersfoort Centraal
Eindhoven Centraal
Düsseldorf Hbf
Hannover Hbf
and last but not least Wierden (in the Netherlands for those that don't know this metropolis :lol:)

CW2

Established Member
Well if you are venturing into foreign territory, I could throw a whole alphabet soup of Polish shacks onto the table ... but I'll resist the temptation.

PG

Established Member
again these are off the top of my head,
Ashford International,
Cheltenham Spa,
Darlington,
Doncaster,
Leamington Spa,
Leeds,
Newbury,
Preston,
Sheffield,
St Leonards Warrior Square,
Tottenham Hale,
York.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Can't think of many as if there's a gap between trains I'd tend to go for a walk. But that I can think of...

Manningtree
Ealing Broadway
Willesden Jn
Dyfi Junction
Machynlleth
Bidston

And Leeds I've entered but not left

I think that's it!

Edit: possibly Kirkdale, I've been at street level there but I can't recall if it was by train, it may not have been.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Smallbrook Junction
Lea Hall
Sandhills
Willesden Junction
Cardiff Queen Street
Duddeston
Bidston

All i can think of, maybe others years ago

Essan

Off hand I can only think of:

Bristol Parkway
Clapham Common
Crewe *
Diss **
Haymarket *
Leeds
Smethwick Galton Bridge
Wolverhampton *

*although I have stepped outside for a smoke

** because I fell asleep on the train up from London and had to change to get back to Ipswich

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wolverhampton between Virgin and CrossCountry trains; Falkirk Grahamston between routes; Kilwinning between trains; Linlithgow between train and taxi; Irvine between bus and train; Perth between trains; Dundee between trains; Leuchars between train and bus.

Dundee and Wolverhampton are probably the largest places where I've only changed and not actually visited the place itself.

lxfe_mxtterz

Too many for me to remember them all right now... but probably the most interesting one is Bathgate.

The train I was on started having problems shortly after leaving Edinburgh, so they evacuated us and swapped it for another when we got to Bathgate.

A few more boring ones from the top of my head:
Machynlleth
Chester
Manchester Victoria
Preston
Banbury

xotGD

Established Member
Too many for me to remember them all right now... but probably the most interesting one is Bathgate.

The train I was on started having problems shortly after leaving Edinburgh, so they evacuated us and swapped it for another when we got to Bathgate.

A few more boring ones from the top of my head:
Machynlleth
Chester
Manchester Victoria
Preston
Banbury
Ooh - Preston & Banbury - two more major/majorish places for my list.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Lots, from my shack bashing forays.

I think the biggest ones would be Stevenage, Welwyn G.C, Rugby, Shrewsbury, Dalmuir & Dumbarton Ctl.

Abroad, I think the largest contenders would be Ostrava Hlavní Nadraži, Ljubljana, Milano Centrale, Verona Porta Nuova, Marseille St Charles, Eindhoven, Breda, Hakata & Sendai.

daodao

Established Member
Mallaig, how does that even make sense - it's not an interchange for anywhere except the ferry (which involves leaving the station). Massively surprised at the likes of Edinburgh, Cardiff and Bristol on here - I exit those stations more often than I interchange there.

The ones that stick out for me looking through other posts are Lewes (changing for Falmer from London), Bidston, Newport (SW), Lichfield TV (exited from City though), Slough, Ipswich, Liverpool South Parkway and Stourbridge Junction - I exit the station at most places.
I lived in Cardiff for many years, but was more likely to change trains at Central than exit the station, which I only had to do on Sundays/evenings when the Coryton line service was not running.

No one has mentioned Craven Arms. I once changed there to go to a conference in Llandrindod Wells, on a journey from SE Wales, but didn't exit the station. However, I often called in at the Tuffins supermarket there when travelling by road from Cheshire to Cardiff - it was about the midpoint of the journey.

One summer Saturday in August 1974 I once changed trains at March to pick up a through train from Yarmouth to Manchester Piccadilly via the GN/GE joint line; I had a rather long wait as it was over 30 minutes late and lost more time subsequently. The class 31 diesel appeared to be under-powered given the length of the train, which was crowded with holidaymakers. I have never visited March itself. When travelling from Manchester to East Anglia, I occasionally changed trains at Lincoln Central and/or Ely, or alternatively Nuneaton in that direction only, but have never exited the stations there.

Other stations that I have changed trains at but never left are mostly listed by others, but include: St Erth, Swansea, Llandudno Junction, Chester, Preston, Carlisle, Norwich, Bromsgrove, Gloucester, Sandwell & Dudley, Smethwick Galton Bridge, Twyford and Slough

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Almost every post is triggering a few more for my list.

Add Nuneaton, Rugby, Cardiff Queen St, Stourbridge Junction, Truro, Dorridge, Bridgend, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, the list goes on...

Status
Not open for further replies.