• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you've used that are now closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The Oldham Loop all stations, North Woolwich, Folkestone Harbour... wish I was older, could have got so much more done :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
The Oldham Loop all stations, North Woolwich, Folkestone Harbour... wish I was older, could have got so much more done :(

Although one approach to line bashing that makes it considerably easier is just to wait for lines to close so you don't have to do 'em........ I dealt with a number of lines in this way: Broad Street, Balloch Pier, Tunbridge Wells > Eridge (although given this was a thumper stronghold and my well known lifelong prediliction for such units, maybe this one wasn't so clever).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I went through Dover Western Docks in January 1993, I had no idea it would close so soon afterwards, I wish I'd paid more attention at the time!

alexjames

I'm a bit disappointed to see no mention of that mighty terminus known as Reading Southern.

RPM

Established Member
One that I've just remembered: Heathrow Junction, the temporary Heathrow Express terminus which existed for a few months in 1998.

Retropractor

All of the 'North London line' stations, between Stratford and North Woolwich.
I wish they would demolish the North Woolwich station buildings. It is a real pain, when you are trying to decide whether to join the Woolwich ferry queue, or give it a miss. You have to 'commit', one way or the other, because the building obscures your view.:-x

caliwag

Err...sorry to be old. Perth Princes Street on the Dundee-Perth line...a hangover from the Victorian days when there was no bridge...useful for access to good fish and chip shops in the centre. It's probably still there but boarded up.

Crieff/Comrie before the '64 closure.

Rotheram Masborough before the opening of central.

Sheff Vic on a special though...70013, probably '68.

Wish I was older, would love to have done Hull to Withernsea etc etc. have talked to drivers I could almost believe I was there!!

Established Member
Was some talk of reopening Gateshead East and West, probably could be a good link to the Sage.

Wyvern

Established Member
Being old there are quite a few. Do Minehead and Watchet in 1970 count when they were BR rather than WSR ?

Blimey yes - you've just reminded me - Dunster - though I can't remember what it looked like.

Is Cromer still open? and Barnstaple?

Also Derby Friargate to Skeggy on another holiday (teak coloured LNER coaches)

4SRKT

Established Member
Although in 1970 Barnstaple Town was still open, served by the 5 out of 7 trains from Exeter that went beyond Barnstaple Junction (the current station) to Ilfracombe.

Bittern

Established Member
James May resinstated the line beyond Banstaple for a short time. Granted, the line and the rails were much smaller though. :)

Welshman

Established Member
Arriving at Manchester Exchange on a train from North Wales, and dashing down the long platform to Victoria just in time for a train into Yorkshire.
Then passing through Rochdale when it had a magnificent station with the fore-runner of today's passenger information systems - a big, mechanical, wooden contraption with flaps.
Then arriving into Leeds Central, and sprinting over to Leeds City to continue the journey eastwards.
The railway system certainly kept you fit in those days!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Vienna Sudbahnhof, closed in December 2009, is being demolished and will be replaced by new Vienna Hauptbahnhof on a site adjacent. Vienna Ostbahnhof which is next door will also be closed/demolished in due course

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have used a number of stations which are now closed owing to the fact it is now 1:42am and there are now no more trains until the morning :p

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Right.....stations (and platforms) I've used that have since closed......

Uckfield
Newhaven Marine
Buxted (up platform)
Cowden (up platform)

I have a few others....but the brain isn't working at this time of the morning!

Uckfield?
Newhaven marine is still technically open. :D

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've seen pretty much all the stations that I thought I could mention talked about in this thread, then I suddenly remembered: Eltham Park and Eltham Well Hall, now replaced by Eltham. As I grew up in Barnehurst I definitely used Well Hall and seem to remember exploring Eltham Park just before it closed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Arriving at Manchester Exchange on a train from North Wales, and dashing down the long platform to Victoria just in time for a train into Yorkshire.
Then passing through Rochdale when it had a magnificent station with the fore-runner of today's passenger information systems - a big, mechanical, wooden contraption with flaps.
Then arriving into Leeds Central, and sprinting over to Leeds City to continue the journey eastwards.
The railway system certainly kept you fit in those days!

I travel (almost) this journey regularly and would love to go back in time and see what it was like in the old days - particularly rushing along the worlds longest platform :D

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Uckfield (old station) closed in 1991/2.

Newhaven Marine is open on the books, but haven't seen it in the timetable for a few years! Railtours no longer use it, and the platform is fenced off to the public. Southern use it for crew familiarisation with 313s.

Sorry, didnt know about Uckfield. Anyone old enough to do the old Crawley station - literally an equally long set oof platforms next to the current site :D

like Uckfield/Crawley/Eltham, are there anymore resited stations out there recently ? :D

4SRKT

Established Member
Sorry, didnt know about Uckfield. Anyone old enough to do the old Crawley station - literally an equally long set oof platforms next to the current site :D

like Uckfield/Crawley/Eltham, are there anymore resited stations out there recently ? :D

Both Bradford termini have been resited, although Exchange was as long ago as 1973.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Not a VERY exciting (or geographically wide-ranging list) from me I'm afraid.

In no particular order:

Ongar*, North Weald*, Tilbury Riverside, Broad Street, the old Willesden Junction, the LUL East London Line Shoreditch, Aldwych, North Woolwich, Silvertown, (West Ham NLL platforms), (Charing Cross Jubilee line platforms), the original South Quay DLR (and indeed the second South Quay DLR), the original Mudchute DLR, the original Island Gardens DLR, the original Hillingdon LT.

*Yes, I know these are sort-of open some of the time or will be again in the future, but they don't have much of a service, and certainly not one that goes anywhere of use.
And as far I know, that's the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.