• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you've used that are now closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nightrider

Dover Marine, i,d guess would be the most popular in the closed stations stakes amongst people across Europe of a certain age.
Didn,t even know it was gone until i googled it.

Ibrox
St Enoch
St Rollox
Balloch Central
Blackpool Central before it closed and in the 1970s when it was used as a bingo hall.
Buchanan Street
Bridgeton Central
Partickhill

Saxonia

Kilmacolm.
Liverpool Exchange.
Godley East.
Dean Lane, Failsworth, Hollinwood, Oldham Werneth, Oldham Mumps, Derker, Royton, Shaw+Crompton, New Hey, Milnrow.
Dover Marine. Dover Western Docks.
Morecambe Promenade (original station).

Balloch Central - This was at a level crossing and as a child I used to wonder why the people waiting for the gates to open hadn't got on the train.

After that there was Balloch Pier where the 'Maid of the Loch' took me on exciting journeys into the Highlands.

Then there was Craigendoran Pier with its platform out into the River Clyde and paddle steamers at the end of it. For a youngster, those were exciting times.

Going into Glasgow there was the alternate steam route via Clydebank (Riverside) - a short part of which was reopened as the Argyll Line. And there were a number of stations along that line with the supplementary name - Riverside.

The Inverness and Perth Junction Railway from Forres to Aviemore, the southern part of which is The Speyside Railway.

These are a few of the stations I've used but are no longer.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Supplement to the last one - I remember a few Continental jaunts beginning at Folkestone Harbour. I think it's closed now. Corrections, anyone?

6S83

Attercliffe Road, Brightside, Masborough, Wawrick Road, Montevideo Central.

Established Member
I'll be there on Friday to see Workington North go. Not looking forward to the 6 hour travelling though...

e3181

not sure about which are officialy closed but living in north staffs
since the virgin inspired upgrade both etruria and norton bridge are
closed and i think wedgwood and barlaston are only served by bus
now - such is progress!!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
not sure about which are officialy closed but living in north staffs
since the virgin inspired upgrade both etruria and norton bridge are
closed and i think wedgwood and barlaston are only served by bus
now - such is progress!!

Norton Bridge, officially, isn't shut, despite it being impossible to access, and Barlaston and Wedgwood are still officially open, I doubt there will ever be a locval Stoke-Stafford again, Stone I suppose got lucky with LM introducing a local TV service. Etruria closure was strange - they took it out to improve lines speeds into Stoke, but trains are already slowing for Stoke station anyway, it only benefits the Manchester headliner in the morning :D

AndyJB

I can only think of one that counts in my books - the old Filton station, prior to it's replacement by Filton Abbey Wood station. Changed there once whilst doing some 1st Gen DMU bashing.

Black5

Norton Bridge, officially, isn't shut, despite it being impossible to access, and Barlaston and Wedgwood are still officially open, I doubt there will ever be a locval Stoke-Stafford again, Stone I suppose got lucky with LM introducing a local TV service. Etruria closure was strange - they took it out to improve lines speeds into Stoke, but trains are already slowing for Stoke station anyway, it only benefits the Manchester headliner in the morning :D

I used to commute from Barlaston to Manchester in the 1970s Have still got one of the weekly season tickets.

As a youngster in the 1950s we would catch trains at Trentham to go all over the place train spotting. Norton Bridge being a common destination.

If a footplate ride on a Stanier tank counts as catching a train then I did that while it ran round at the Trentham Gardens terminus station

12CSVT

Established Member
Aldwych
Alston
Cefn Onn
Dover Western Docks
Filton
Godley East
Kings Cross Thameslink (or Kings Cross Midland City)
Leeds Whitehall
Morecambe
North Woolwich
Ongar
Rotherham Masborough
Westbourne Park
Workington North

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Thanks to 12CSVT, I remember using Kings Cross Thameslink before closure, simply to see the station before it closed forever. The building that was the booking office is now one of the many Kings Cross St Pancras Underground stations entrances/exits isn't it?

I will also add to my list Workington North, I visited it to photograph it on the Saturday (six days) before closure. I don't think a trace remains of it now :(

I would also add West Ham (NLL platforms), Canning Town (NR station), Custom House (NR station) and Silvertown stations to my list - well I've been through them at least. Am I correct in thinking that the Stratford-Custom House section of this railway will be used as the trackbed for the new DLR extension?

4SRKT

Established Member
I can only think of Smethwick West that I've travelled to that is now shut

Does Smethwick West form the basis of Galton Bridge or is that a completely different site? Likewise does the now disappeared Garston (or possibly Allerton) form the basis of Liverpool South Parkway?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think it's a different site, unless the disused platforms very close to Galton Bridge high level are something else?

12CSVT

Established Member
I think it's a different site, unless the disused platforms very close to Galton Bridge high level are something else?

Smethwick West still had a 'parliamentary' (one or two trains a day) after Galton Bridge opened so therefore it was a different station. The same applied with Godley East / Godley.

steamybrian

Established Member
I first started way bashing lines as a schoolboy in the Beeching era of 1963 so did many lines just before closure or on last days-
Southern Region Haywards Heath- Ardingly- Horsted Keynes
Three Bridges-Tunbridge Wells via East Grinstead
Horsham-Guildford via Baynards
Appledore- New Romney
Polegate- Heathfield (by freight train)
Uckfield- Lewes
Brighton-Kemp Town- special one day only passenger service in 1971
Elmers End-Selsdon/Addiscombe
West Croydon-Wimbledon
Chichester- Lavant- by freight train
Dover Western Docks, Weymouth Quay,Newhaven Marine
Farningham Road to the junction near Ebbsfleet (shortlived route for Eurostars)
Western Region
Taunton-Minehead BR service
Barnstaple- Ilfracombe
West Drayton- Staines West by railtour
Oxford- Witney by railtour
Abingdon branch by railtour
Bourne End-High Wycombe
Newbury- Welford Park- special one day passenger service (in 1972?)
London Midland
Oxford- Bletchley
Broad Street-Dalston Jn- Finsbury Park (ER)
also Dalston Jn-Poplar on a rail tour
Sheffield Victoria- Manchester via Woodhead
Croxley Green branch by ordinary service.
Eastern Region
Wymondham- Dereham
Lowestoft-Yarmouth
Hunstanton-Kings Lynn
St Ives- Cambridge
New Holland Pier and ferry to Hull
London Underground
Epping-Ongar
Aldwych branch
Shoreditch branch
original stations at Tower Hill and Hounslow West

caliwag

Indeed Mr Brian...I'd forgotten that one. New Holland pier. Took the train to Barton on Humber...pre-t'umber bridge mind. Ferry superb from Corpy pier in Hull: bottle of beer "to see you on your way" on't ferry (outside licesning hours of course), train from pier etc etc...I took the bicycle, just as well as there is bu++er all on the south bank.

The Minerva pub (mind the nearby Oberon offered brill Bass), next to the Hull pier, was the haunt of off-duty pilots and students, as I recall, and the last ferry, at 10.15pm, would honk (like a good fart) and the pub would empty...

Good days, when Corporation Pier (a BR outpost) had a purpose...sad. The Pier toilets, with the fish in the cisterns, were the finest. Ah Hull at it's best.

StoneRoad

In no special order (date or location)

Bath Green Park. Llyn Ystradau (!)

(Can I have all the stations on the Gateshead Garden Festival sites various transport systems?)

GarethW

Many of the ones already mentioned, surprised how many London area stations have gone that I'd done.

Used to live in Croxley Green, so did that and Watford West a fair few times.

Haven't looked through all the pages but I haven't seen Newport, Ventnor and Cowes IOW which I did when I was very young and lived on the Island. :D

Most have been mentioned here already, but as I'm a newbie, I'll kick in a few of my own. I go back a VERY long way, and could cover many Scottish branch lines which got a Beeching's powder in the 1964/67 decimation, but that might be a bit boring, just to list loads of closed lines that I used from time to time - but the one that I used frequently as I used the train to/from town a lot was

Barleith, Galston, Newmilns, Darvel.

Also in Scotland, Hawick, Galashiels, as I had a weekend trip with overnight stops just before the Waverley Route closed.

More recently, on the Southern,
all stations on the Winchester - Alton route
Woodside, Addiscombe, Bingham Road, Coombe Road, Selsdon
Coulsdon North
Weymouth Quay
Waddon Marsh, and stations to Wimbledon
Bridport

And on LT

Ongar - and another "last" not railway related there was that there was a pub near the station, called The Cock, and I had my last pint of Grays beer there also.
Aldwych
Hounslow West terminus
East London Line inc Shoreditch

As an aside, and a deviation from the thread, I can also claim to have visited while closed and now re-opened, Dalmarnock, Bridgeton, Glasgow Cross, and Glasgow Central Low Level as there was fairly easy and virtually unimpeded access to the tunnels, provided one wore waders, and was prepared to navigate a load of debris and three feet of floodwater at the tunnel mouth.

Moog_1984

Cærsws......middle of mid wales....1985, first day of the cambrians with some power on....we drank the pub dry in 20 minutes.

4SRKT

Established Member
Caersws is still open.

I recall the 37s though. Blissful times, although I was only 14 in 1985 so didn't help drink the pub dry. I remember the only cafe in the village making huge numbers of bags of chips and flogging them all to the dozens and dozens of bashers while the train went down to Talerddig to cross the up train back. It must have made the proprietor's week! Once I saw a lizard on the sleepers whilst sitting dangling my legs off the platform edge and eating the chips. As I say, blissful times.

Status
Not open for further replies.