• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Statue of Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac

Me and the wife are going to New York next month and while there are going to the statue. We have looked on the website to book tickets to go up to the crown and it gives times to book such as 10 am but what is not clear is 10am the time of the ferry or access time to the statue anyone know? also website says about 90 minutes for security is this correct.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Squaddie

The time is the departure time from the ferry terminal in either New York or New Jersey. I don't think you need 90 minutes for security - when I went, we were told to be at the departure point at least half an hour before departure to clear security.

In my opinion, visiting the Statue of Liberty is not worth the time it takes. The crowds are simply horrendous and you'll spend most of your time queuing - for the ferry, for the statue and, particularly, for the ferry to leave Liberty Island again. (If you get off at Ellis Island on the way back then you'll also have to queue to re-board the ferry there, too). You should count on at least four hours, and probably more.

Similarly, the climb to the Crown is hot and hard work. You stand in line for ages, then it's a tough 15-minute climb for the chance to look through a tiny window before spending 15 minutes coming back down again.

I love New York, but there are much better ways to spend your time than going to Liberty Island. Just take a ferry to Staten Island, which gives you a decent view of the statue and the Manhattan skyline for nothing.

But if you're determined to go then snap up those Crown tickets now, as they're normally sold out months in advance.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Agreed - massively underwhelming - however , Ellis Island is great - (went many years before it was refurbished when derelict - and 5 years ago to see the difference) -if you have any relatives who emigrated to the USA - they have a superb search facility which in our case showed not only their arrival , but ship arrived on , cash in hand , future travel plans etc - all easily found. Save time and just observe it form the ferry !

snail

Established Member
Firstly, I would check whether Ellis Island is going to be open next month. It has been closed since Hurricane Sandy hit last October.

http://www.nps.gov/elis/planyourvisit/hours.htm

If it's not, Liberty Island is worth a visit for the views of lower Manhattan but going up the crown is not something I've ever fancied doing for the reasons given above. If you have the time a round trip Circle Line cruise will go round the statue and also give fascinating views of Manhattan Island from the rivers. I did the full cruise a couple of years ago and it was great value.

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Dont forget to walkover the Brooklyn Bridge and ride the subway OVER the Manhatten bridge - 2 lines on either side - fact the area under it is fascinating , old rail lines in cobbles - gentrified warehouses etc (Brooklyn side) - perfectly safe.(+ you get the subway rattling overhead)

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Got to agree with the others - the view of the SOL is much better than the view from the SOL. Skip the trip to the top, but do take a visit to Ellis Island - though the website says it's closed for repair still.

Free sightseeing of the SOL can be had by taking a return trip on the Staten Island ferry - just avoid the rush hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.