• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam banned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_metro

Established Member
...is this true:

SWRG said:
I gather that NR have imposed a nationwide steam ban due to the dry weather,
which is why the Duke was replaced by '31s on the Weymouth jaunt today. There's
nothing on the Past Time Rail updates page about the TE being cancelled, so what
might replace 6024? Is the maroon paint on 1015 dry yet? A skip would hardly
be a worthy substitute for a King!"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Could maybe problems with the sparks and also think of the footplate crew...

RJ

Established Member
You must not take everything you read on the internet as gospel. Just because it was on Yahoo it HAS to be true...

Lewisham2221

Established Member
It probably is true though, the lineside isn't exactly going to be very fireproof at the minute is it, and I doubt NR want to risk damaging any lineside equipment.

Tomnick

Established Member
I understand that today's cancellation was due to the great risk of setting a large part of Southern England on fire - whether that's part of a nationwide ban, or just a one-off restriction, I don't know.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
James 66526 said:
Could maybe problems with the sparks and also think of the footplate crew...

The greatest risk posed is from the ashpan, all steam locomotives on the main line have to have two spark arrestors in the chimney, which catches almost all of the sparks likely to fly out of the chimney.

I know, but with all this hot weather there is a potential risk.

theblackwatch

Established Member
There is no nationwide ban, as on the day in question 4771 'Green Sparrow' went to Scarboro from York, although it did have 47245 with it so that it didn't have to work as hard and throw out as much fire starting material.

Jonno2055

Makes you think though how the rail network survived when steam was running full time during summer.

AlexS

Established Member
theblackwatch said:
There is no nationwide ban, as on the day in question 4771 'Green Sparrow' went to Scarboro from York, although it did have 47245 with it so that it didn't have to work as hard and throw out as much fire starting material.

Green Sparrow !?!

The Gricer

dvn1357 said:
...is this true:
Originally Posted by SWRG
I gather that NR have imposed a nationwide steam ban due to the dry weather, which is why the Duke was replaced by '31s on the Weymouth jaunt today.

The Duke wasn't actually banned. Steam Dreams were told by NR they could run the Duke in light steam to take it's own weight, but with a diesel marshalled behind to do the actual work of pulling the train. However FM rail weren't happy running as a steam/diesel double header where the second loco was providing the power.

Full statement here (it's likely to disappear any time):-
http://www.steamdreams.co.uk/note.html

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.