• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam driving experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newshy37

No1 son turns 21 and we will get him a steam driving experience for his Birthday/Christmas either Bronze or Silver at either the East Lancs or Great Central. My main question is does anyone know which locos are likely to be used? Also if you have been to either how was it for you? Please, answers from folk who know or have done these things not speculative answers. Thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O8yityityit

I've acted as owners rep on a diesel FXP on the ELR and if the steam equivalent is similar it should be enjoyable for your son. 8 miles driving, 8 miles as second man then 8 miles ad guard and 8 miles on the cushions.The meal is spot on ( family can acompany your son snd travel on the train)and the tour of Baron St yards and works also informative .
ELR steam locos currently active are 34092 City of wells both standard 4 tanks (80080 & 80097) or the 0-6-0 L&Y tender loco.
Hope that helps.

Newshy37

I've acted as owners rep on a diesel FXP on the ELR and if the steam equivalent is similar it should be enjoyable for your son. 8 miles driving, 8 miles as second man then 8 miles ad guard and 8 miles on the cushions.The meal is spot on ( family can acompany your son snd travel on the train)and the tour of Baron St yards and works also informative .
ELR steam locos currently active are 34092 City of wells both standard 4 tanks (80080 & 80097) or the 0-6-0 L&Y tender loco.
Hope that helps.
Yes, thanks.

Richard P

I did the diesel one 10 years or so ago and it was an excellent day out, my journeys were between Bury & Heywood, Driver, Break Man and Second Man plus as mentioned above an excellent lunch plus signal box and works tour. Not cheap and a long day but very worthwhile. Just worth checking on the actual journeys as these take place when there is no service and you don't get to travel the line in it's entirety

brstd4260

I've done a few diesel driving experiences - at Mid Hants (DEMU), GWSR (DMU) and Llangollen (1 x DMU, 1 x Class 47), undoubtedly the best for me was Llangollen, as you get a whole line return trip as driver on your own on a 25 mile round trip on an interesting line with banks and tunnels, together with a trip round the sheds. Ok you don't get the free lunch, but you do get the guests able to ride on your train. You also get to drive on a "service" day, with your train pathed through normal passenger carrying services. I also felt that though the "instructors" on the MHR and GWSR were good, those on the Llangollen were much better giving me more freedom to drive the loco as I wished once they were satisfied I had a reasonable control of the loco, limiting the instructions to advice on the approach of banks, stations points, signals etc, allowing me to control the loco accordingly. It's also one of the cheaper experiences by some way - especially considering what you get. It's also not that far from the area you were looking at. (and no, I have no connection with the line)

headshot119

Established Member
I've done a few diesel driving experiences - at Mid Hants (DEMU), GWSR (DMU) and Llangollen (1 x DMU, 1 x Class 47), undoubtedly the best for me was Llangollen, as you get a whole line return trip as driver on your own on a 25 mile round trip on an interesting line with banks and tunnels, together with a trip round the sheds. Ok you don't get the free lunch, but you do get the guests able to ride on your train. You also get to drive on a "service" day, with your train pathed through normal passenger carrying services. I also felt that though the "instructors" on the MHR and GWSR were good, those on the Llangollen were much better giving me more freedom to drive the loco as I wished once they were satisfied I had a reasonable control of the loco, limiting the instructions to advice on the approach of banks, stations points, signals etc, allowing me to control the loco accordingly. It's also one of the cheaper experiences by some way - especially considering what you get. It's also not that far from the area you were looking at. (and no, I have no connection with the line)

Just a note that it's not a 25 mile round trip. It's either 20 if going to Corwen, or 15 if going to Carrog.

Status
Not open for further replies.