• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam lines with stock other than Mk 1 in regular service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogz

Don’t get me wrong, I love the deeply padded comfortable seating of the BR Mk1 stock as much as the next…

They are the mainstay of most heritage lines, it seems, but for those who want to experience a diversity of rolling stock types, I thought it might be an idea to have a list of lines where you can travel in other stock.

From my own experience, the following have non-BR-Mk1 coaches in service.

Please feel free to list any others.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway
Bluebell Railway
Severn Valley Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway and the K&WVR both have selections of older coaches run on occasions.

North Norfolk Railway has the unique "Quad-art" set designed for East London commuting, which is quite different to most other stock!

John Webb

Established Member
The North York Moors Railway has a beautifully-restored set of LNER teak-bodied Gresley main line stock.
Normally their 'local' train is formed of a Mk1, two Gresleys and a Thompson coach. How's that for variety? Not being used much at present as they've substituted their 101 3-coach DMU for it following recent lineside fires.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The Great Central has some Non Mk1 coaching stock. The Gresley Buffet, the Later modified "Beavertail" Observation carriage and a couple of "Suburbans" at least.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Swanage Railway I think has at least one example of Bulleid stock in service, likewise at the Mid Hants, perhaps someone can confirm?

D6130

Established Member
Swanage Railway I think has at least one example of Bulleid stock in service, likewise at the Mid Hants, perhaps someone can confirm?
Yes....the Mid-Hants has a Bulleid BSK (I think) no. S4211S which has been converted as an accessible vehicle for disabled passengers.

Mike Machin

Isle of Wight Steam Railway, every item of passenger stock has pre-grouping origins, and the coaches in service are in outstanding condition.

alexl92

Established Member
The Bluebell has a Bulleid rake
K&ESR have some vintage southern coaches
IOWSR has vintage carriages
The Mid-Hants has some bulleid coaches I think, as may Swanage
The Mid-Norfolk Railway has MK2 and MK3 rakes if that's your thing!
The North Norfolk Railway has a vintage set which is a mixture of 4-wheel and bogie coaches plus their LNER Quad-Art set
KWVR have a vintage rake including some L&Y coaches - 4 wheel, 6 wheel and bogie.
Embsay run a vintage train on Sundays I think
NYMR have an LNER teak rake as already mentioned.
SVR have a GWR rake, an LNER teak set and an LMS rake
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway (I think) are restoring an LMS set for their dining train (I think some of them are already in service?)
Wensleydale isn't really a steam railway at present but their mainstay is MK2s - both air-con and early versions.
Middleton Railway operate 3 ex-SR PMVs converted to coaches
Tanfield use a right old mixture!
Foxfield has the Knotty Train set.

...that's just off the top of my head :D
There's definitely others - I just can't remember them now!

paul1609

Established Member
At the Kent & East Sussex Railway nearly all our trains include pre mark 1 stock as the first class accommodation is generally provided by a Maunsell vehicle in the MK1 train.
Our second set often comprises vehicles from several pre grouping companies as befits a line that remained independent until nationalised.

topydre

Llangollen has a set of non-corridor suburban stock (Eastern Region I think)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The North York Moors Railway has some of the experimental XP64 vehicles....although I'm not certain whether they are currently in running order.

They’re in a pretty bad way unfortunately. We had thread on them a while ago:

341o2

Established Member
Shoutout for Tanfield and Mid Suffolk.

Also all the narrow gauge lines :)
Indeed, consider the first and third lines to be preserved.
the Tallyllyn has its four originals, plus former Corris and Glyn Valley coaches
The Welshpool & Llanfair lost its original coaches, and some of its current fleet are from the Zillertalbahn

Veteran Member
KWVR have a vintage rake including some L&Y coaches - 4 wheel, 6 wheel and bogie.
Hired from the Vintage Carriage Trust at Ingrow.
There is also the lovely SECR "matchboard" Continental Brake whose KWVR history goes back 50 years and appears slightly more often (and in my avatar!).

alexl92

Established Member
Fascinating, thanks for sharing that! I love the Tanfield Railway's carriage fleet, real variation of designs but all matchign liveries. I find it very pleasing!

AY1975

Established Member
If "other than Mark 1" includes Mark 2s a few railways have Mark 2As and/or vacuum-braked Mark 2s: the Mid-Hants, the Mid-Norfolk, the East Lancs, Peak Rail and the Wensleydale, for example.

Then there are the preserved HSTs, and even Mark 3 buffet cars in use as static buffets at a few railways (can't remember which ones).

GM078

Step over to Northern Ireland and the Downpatrick & County Down Railway has a regular set of 1950s CIÉ and UTA designs, and on special occasions a 'vintage' set of wooden-bodied GSWR and BCDR non-corridor carriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.