• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam Locos and Turntables/ Wyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnshire

There is a turntable at York I have seen used several times
The turntable at York was installed after the Engineers Triangle behind York Station was removed to build the ROC Building. Someone had the bright idea that they would move the one from Scarborough until they found out it was paid for by Scarborough Council and they would not be best pleased as its there for the Scarborough Spa Express and other visiting steam loco,s. Can,t remember where the York one came from thats been installed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The turntable at York was installed after the Engineers Triangle behind York Station was removed to build the ROC Building. Someone had the bright idea that they would move the one from Scarborough until they found out it was paid for by Scarborough Council and they would not be best pleased as its there for the Scarborough Spa Express and other visiting steam loco,s. Can,t remember where the York one came from thats been installed.

This is not entirely accurate.

The table was from Ferme Park

themiller

Around the Cumbrian Coast they used to run to Sellafield and use the triangular junction there to turn around before returning. The reason why Sellafield I was told was because it was suitable for turning round the locomotive and at the time unmodified trains with drop windows were banned from going between Maryport and Carlisle.
The triangle at Sellafield is inside the site fence so became out-of-bounds to steam locos after 9/11 when security was beefed up. Before then, Sellafield was a destination for tourists as they could visit the information centre and tour the site on one of the Sellafield Sightseer coaches that used to operate as part of the public information/public relations function.
i suppose the nearest place to turn a loco would be Carlisle to the north and the Morecambe triangle to the south.

_toommm_

Established Member
Sheffield they could presumably go through Dore and across the South Curve which I think is signalled to do that.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The triangle at Sellafield is inside the site fence so became out-of-bounds to steam locos after 9/11 when security was beefed up. Before then, Sellafield was a destination for tourists as they could visit the information centre and tour the site on one of the Sellafield Sightseer coaches that used to operate as part of the public information/public relations function.
i suppose the nearest place to turn a loco would be Carlisle to the north and the Morecambe triangle to the south.
There's a turntable at Carnforth MPD owned by West Coast Railways

There's a triangle at Lincoln which has also been used to turn steam locos as well.

Bedpan

Established Member
Brighton would be easy as as long as there is platform space, as the triangle via Hove starts in the station.

Bedpan

Established Member
For Anglia you have the Stansted triangle or Ely West Curve, all of which have been used to turn kettles.

I remember one weekend probably some time in the early 1990s, they ran a fairly intensive steam service from Bishops Stortford to Ely using 71000 and possibly 70013. Made for a great day out, it's a pity it was never repeated.

delticdave

I remember one weekend probably some time in the early 1990s, they ran a fairly intensive steam service from Bishops Stortford to Ely using 71000 and possibly 70013. Made for a great day out, it's a pity it was never repeated.
I managed to ride one of those trips, the loco's ran chimney 1st, swapping over at each end, running light train tender 1st following the train. Similar to the steam workings on the LT&S to / from Fenchurch St. to Shoeburyness.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Has anybody mentioned Swansea yet, There is a triangle there and also at Shrewsbury and at Llandeilo Jcn for Llanelli. Wolverhampton by using the Oxley Chord.

There are a fair few up in the North West.
Crewe can turn a loco using Gresty and Bassford hall, Earlestown could be used by Warrington BQ. Liverpool Lime street can use Bootle Branch Jn and Edge Lane Jn, Southport has a triangle, Chester does too

TheEdge

Established Member
Norwich can also turn a complete train, there's a signalled route alongside Crown Point depot. (Wensum Curve?)

We still regularly use that to turn 745s that have managed to get reversed. Used fairly often to turn LHCS sets and 90s when a cab needed to be buried.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Brighton would be easy as as long as there is platform space, as the triangle via Hove starts in the station.

If I recall the layout at Brighton, only platform 3 gives access to both legs of the triangle, and even then access to the Hove direction is from halfway down the platform so only a short train can be reveresed there.

Veteran Member
If I recall the layout at Brighton, only platform 3 gives access to both legs of the triangle, and even then access to the Hove direction is from halfway down the platform so only a short train can be reveresed there.
4 cars IIRC. But comfortably enough room to turn a steam loco as per the OP.

K.o.R

The triangle between Bedhampton, Hilsea and Cosham is there for steam trips into Portsmouth. There's also Eastleigh-Fareham-Southampton as a rather roundabout route.

Does Southport still have a triangle?
It used to but I thought the link had been severed.
Im not 100% sure anymore, its been such a long time since I was actually there to see it.
I know Merseyrail used to turn their stock there to even out the wear on the wheelsets because of the loop line.

Veteran Member
Indeed, but its train would have to be on another platform during the manoeuvre.
Or at the outer end of its arrival platform - but that restricts length as well as blocking a platform for a fair time. In practice, you would leave the stock in Hove loop.
(The point about platform blocking applies to triangular stations too.)

delticdave

Im not 100% sure anymore, its been such a long time since I was actually there to see it.
I know Merseyrail used to turn their stock there to even out the wear on the wheelsets because of the loop line.

Wouldn't the wheel-wear even out, as long as each train went around the loop for an even number of trips? (It's a one way loop, not a circle....)

There's or at least was one at Heaton Carriage sidings. It's big enough to take an HST power car. In the old days if you had a steam special arriving from Carlisle into Newcastle, you could route it in over the King Edward VII and back out over the High Level [or vice verse]. Equally if the trip was arriving from Sunderland they'd arrive over the High Level then head on to Carlisle over the King Edward. But unfortunately due a combination of age and condition steam is barred from crossing the High Level [even diesel and electric trains are limited....] So be a case of Carlisle-Newcastle [KEVII bridge]-Heaton Carriage Siding for servicing the train and turning the locomotive.

PaulLothian

Thinking of some Scottish “major stations” examples:

Glasgow Central - four “triangular” options close by

Glasgow Queen Street - two triangles at Cowlairs

Edinburgh Waverley - Millerhill, Niddrie West and back, or Monktonhall, Borders line and back?

Perth or Dundee - round the Fife Circle?
Other possibilities West of Edinburgh:
Triangle at west end of South Suburban (may not be possible in normal times as needs a reversing move on Edinburgh and Glasgow mainline!)
Carstairs line to Slateford, short reverse onto South Sub, and back into town via Haymarket Central Jn
Triangle using Dalmeny to Kirkliston - same issue as above with E&G.

Wouldn't the wheel-wear even out, as long as each train went around the loop for an even number of trips? (It's a one way loop, not a circle....)

You would think that wouldnt you, as you say its a loop and you would expect any train to end the other way around to when it started and then just do the trip again to even it out but it didnt actually work out like that.
I have no idea why. I do know the excessive wear was always a problem.
Maybe it was even over the wheelset, and the reason was that they turned them at Southport, or maybe Southport played no part in it other than just using Birkdale to keep it open. I have no idea about the operations of Merseyrail back then.

delticdave

You would think that wouldnt you, as you say its a loop and you would expect any train to end the other way around to when it started and then just do the trip again to even it out but it didnt actually work out like that.
I have no idea why. I do know the excessive wear was always a problem.
Maybe it was even over the wheelset, and the reason was that they turned them at Southport, or maybe Southport played no part in it other than just using Birkdale to keep it open. I have no idea about the operations of Merseyrail back then.

Fairy-nuff, 'twas just a thought. Cheers, DC.

markindurham

There's or at least was one at Heaton Carriage sidings. It's big enough to take an HST power car. In the old days if you had a steam special arriving from Carlisle into Newcastle, you could route it in over the King Edward VII and back out over the High Level [or vice verse]. Equally if the trip was arriving from Sunderland they'd arrive over the High Level then head on to Carlisle over the King Edward. But unfortunately due a combination of age and condition steam is barred from crossing the High Level [even diesel and electric trains are limited....] So be a case of Carlisle-Newcastle [KEVII bridge]-Heaton Carriage Siding for servicing the train and turning the locomotive.
The triangle at the south end of the KE Bridge can also be used, of course

Rob F

Nottingham could use Lenton North and South and Mansfield junctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.