• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam or Diesel Train Tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thanks. I hope you find something you enjoy!
Cheers, I have been looking at Steam Dreams, RTC and today UKRailtours sent me an updated tour list too. (Although at the moment, I am so desperate to get out ad about, I would be quite happy just to go to my local station on SWR and get a 455/6 or 458 etc a few stops up the line to Kingston or Wimbledon. I think I can do that from 29 March.?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Is electric traction not allowed then? I would love a tour behind a classic AC electric over lines not usually visited by them.
If electric is an option, the 5BEL will be intriguing. Otherwise any steam operation is good. One of my favourites was a mixed tour in 1991, when daylight steam running on the SR was permitted again for the first time since 1967. A pair of class 50s from London to Andover, where 34027 took over. On-board recorders reported 91mph near Templecombe - a rousing start to the return of daylight steam to the SR! 30777 took over for the return from Exeter to Andover, whence the 50s re-joined.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
If electric is an option, the 5BEL will be intriguing. Otherwise any steam operation is good. One of my favourites was a mixed tour in 1991, when daylight steam running on the SR was permitted again for the first time since 1967. A pair of class 50s from London to Andover, where 34027 took over. On-board recorders reported 91mph near Templecombe - a rousing start to the return of daylight steam to the SR! 30777 took over for the return from Exeter to Andover, whence the 50s re-joined.
Yes, I would like to travel on the 5BEL when it is all finished and allowed on the main line. I would also like to go on one of the Southern Region Main line older EMUs, I think there is one called "Gordon Pettit" ??. That has a connection with the Bluebell line and possible was last heard of in Ilford. There were a couple of 3 carriage slam door EMUs that were used on the shuttle service from Brockenhurst I think to Lymington for the Isle of Wight too.

(I seem to remember, when the old slam door EMUs were coming off the Kent services, there was a rail tour with 3 destinations/routes. 12 Carriages departed London, then when they got further down the line, possibly Ashford Kent, the train splint into 3 sections, with 3 different routes around Kent, before, I presume, joining up later in the day.)

I would also like to do a trip in the "Wessex Electrics" 442? which were on SWT then moved to Southern, then I think were due to go back to SWT/SWR, but with cv, I don't know if that ever happened.

I have been of several of the Hastings Diesels trips which are great, it's amazing how fast that can go when it gets a good clear path.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I would like to travel on the 5BEL when it is all finished and allowed on the main line. I would also like to go on one of the Southern Region Main line older EMUs, I think there is one called "Gordon Pettit" ??. That has a connection with the Bluebell line and possible was last heard of in Ilford. There were a couple of 3 carriage slam door EMUs that were used on the shuttle service from Brockenhurst I think to Lymington for the Isle of Wight too.

(I seem to remember, when the old slam door EMUs were coming off the Kent services, there was a rail tour with 3 destinations/routes. 12 Carriages departed London, then when they got further down the line, possibly Ashford Kent, the train splint into 3 sections, with 3 different routes around Kent, before, I presume, joining up later in the day.)

I would also like to do a trip in the "Wessex Electrics" 442? which were on SWT then moved to Southern, then I think were due to go back to SWT/SWR, but with cv, I don't know if that ever happened.

I have been of several of the Hastings Diesels trips which are great, it's amazing how fast that can go when it gets a good clear path.

Yes, "Gordon Pettit" is the Southern Electric Traction Group's 4VEP.

One of my favourite runs on the thumper was up and down the WCML to/from Crewe in 2014. We were on the slow lines, but were non-stop all the way !

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes, "Gordon Pettit" is the Southern Electric Traction Group's 4VEP.

One of my favourite runs on the thumper was up and down the WCML to/from Crewe in 2014. We were on the slow lines, but were non-stop all the way !
Thanks.

Yes I was on that thumper trip as well. I remember that it did have a great run as you say.

Pair of class 37s would be preferred, would love to see a pair of class 25s on the mainline. Have done loads of steam hauled trains as a kid, so I have no interest in steam rail tour but would choose one of those over an EMU, HST or any 2nd gen or later DMU

Status
Not open for further replies.