• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam Restoration Completed in Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesS

Following a long, protracted period pacific locomotive 3801 has been restored to service in Sydney. The Covid-19 has delayed mainline tours but the locomotive has been on display, in steam. at the Museum on weekends and this week has completed daily load trials on the Main South between Picton and Goulburn. This is a demanding line with 30 miles of almost continuous 1 in 75 grades and over 40 miles of undulating plain.

This streamlined locomotive is finished in the original shade of green 1st used in the early 1950s. Its return to revenue earning tours is eagerly awaited.

The image was taken at Exeter in the Southern Highlands on 25th September. Do enjoy.500_4548.jpg500_4548.jpg

This second image was taken as the locomotive was on the Goulburn Workshops access road before departure.500_4537.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What a beautiful thing
Following a long, protracted period pacific locomotive 3801 has been restored to service in Sydney. The Covid-19 has delayed mainline tours but the locomotive has been on display, in steam. at the Museum on weekends and this week has completed daily load trials on the Main South between Picton and Goulburn. This is a demanding line with 30 miles of almost continuous 1 in 75 grades and over 40 miles of undulating plain.

This streamlined locomotive is finished in the original shade of green 1st used in the early 1950s. Its return to revenue earning tours is eagerly awaited.

The image was taken at Exeter in the Southern Highlands on 25th September. Do enjoy.View attachment 83972View attachment 83972

This second image was taken as the locomotive was on the Goulburn Workshops access road before departure.View attachment 83973
What beautiful machine. That’s the loco that ran with Flying Scotsman over there isn’t it?

XAM2175

Established Member
That’s the loco that ran with Flying Scotsman over there isn’t it?

Yes indeed - though by some accounts it's more accurate to say that 3801 is the loco that pushed Flying Scotsman around for most of its time over there ;)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
How good to see some happy news, good to luck to all concerned. I would like to go to Australia again, to travel behind that loco, also the Puffing Billy Train which I think is in the State of Victoria? I would also like to do the Indian Pacific, Ghan, and the ADL/MEL/SYD triangle.

Dava

Model rail followers may like to know AMR & Hornby announced an HO scale version of this loco this week.

Dava

LesS

How good to see some happy news, good to luck to all concerned. I would like to go to Australia again, to travel behind that loco, also the Puffing Billy Train which I think is in the State of Victoria? I would also like to do the Indian Pacific, Ghan, and the ADL/MEL/SYD triangle.

I do hope that you will eventually be able to make a visit.

Puffing Billy operates from the outer suburb of Melbourne of Belgrave. Because of Covid Melbourne and most of Victoria has been in total lockdown since June. Relaxations are commencing. It may be some time before International borders reopen; the first will likely be between Auckland and Sydney. Except for the French possessions, the South Sea Islands are virus free and will welcome the return of ANZ tourists as soon as it is safe.

You can do the SYD-ADE-MEL-SYD triangle but the fares are very expensive. The trains are "Rail Cruise" services and NOT passenger services.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

I travelled on the Puffing Billy Line and on The Ghan when I was there in 2001 (is it nearly 20 years ago?)! The former was a one way trip as part of a day out to other places, but was very good for all that.

In those days, The Ghan ran from Sydney to Alice Springs, as it was before the extension to Darwin. I joined the train in Adelaide, and took the overnight sleeper service. I remember having breakfast and then sitting in the lounge car reading my book, looking up every half an hour or so to see thousands of miles of ... well, not very much!

They were both very good experiences, though, and I would also like to go back!

Roast Veg

Established Member
Despite having never visited Australia in any capacity and certainly not being old enough to see this locomotive running in regular passenger service, 3801 is a particularly special locomotive to me. During my childhood I had a very large collection of railway-related VHS videos that I would play repeatedly on the TV in my childhood living room. One of these videotapes contained a three-part set of Australian archive films, including "The Rail Way (1979)", and "Journey of a Nation (1947)". Most pertinently, it contained a lovely video essay on 3801 titled "A Steam Train Passes (1974)". Screen Australia have thankfully uploaded all three to their YouTube channel since, and rediscovering them has been a delight.

I'm thrilled that 3801 is back in full working order. Pandemic notwithstanding this is a great opportunity to go out and see it for myself!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I do hope that you will eventually be able to make a visit.

Puffing Billy operates from the outer suburb of Melbourne of Belgrave. Because of Covid Melbourne and most of Victoria has been in total lockdown since June. Relaxations are commencing. It may be some time before International borders reopen; the first will likely be between Auckland and Sydney. Except for the French possessions, the South Sea Islands are virus free and will welcome the return of ANZ tourists as soon as it is safe.

You can do the SYD-ADE-MEL-SYD triangle but the fares are very expensive. The trains are "Rail Cruise" services and NOT passenger services.
Thank you, I did think that there was a scheduled passenger train poss XPT, that went From Sydney to Melbourne and from Melbourne upto Adelaide? The bit from Adelaide to Sydney or vv could be done as part of the Indian Pacific I think?

LesS

Thank you, I did think that there was a scheduled passenger train poss XPT, that went From Sydney to Melbourne and from Melbourne upto Adelaide? The bit from Adelaide to Sydney or vv could be done as part of the Indian Pacific I think?

Once the state border between NSW and Vic reopens the XPT will recommence running through to Melbourne. This is a twice daily service.

Melb-ADE is a passenger service subsidised by the Vic & SA governments. You will need to watch the websites for days of operation. The state border between Vic and SA remains closed and may remain so for several more weeks.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Once the state border between NSW and Vic reopens the XPT will recommence running through to Melbourne. This is a twice daily service.

Melb-ADE is a passenger service subsidised by the Vic & SA governments. You will need to watch the websites for days of operation. The state border between Vic and SA remains closed and may remain so for several more weeks.
OK, many thanks for this very useful information. Take care. Stay safe and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.