• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam Tour in the Chunnel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGVDUDE

imagine this: a steam tour running from London St.Pancras - Paris Nord, hust like the old days, but through the channel tunnel!, it would be awsome, but probably not realistic, the steam would muck up the fire system so it would probably be elecrtically hauled and also the coaches would probably have to be sealed, it would be cool but not realistic!, what do you think!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
imagine this: a steam tour running from London St.Pancras - Paris Nord, hust like the old days, but through the channel tunnel!, it would be awsome, but probably not realistic, the steam would muck up the fire system so it would probably be elecrtically hauled and also the coaches would probably have to be sealed, it would be cool but not realistic!, what do you think!

I think it would be amazing and would definatly try and photographing it entering or exiting the chunnel but no would they ever consider it I don't think they wouldn't even let a diesel let alone steam.

D306

Established Member
well, in theory it could work. Stock gets hauled along the ashford mainline, where after one of the channel tunnel locos will take the stock to Calais, where a steamer from europe would take over. It could work, but not in a day though

jopsuk

Veteran Member
They have diesels adapted to run in case of total power failure, that have specially built exhaust-scrubber waggons attached.

CosherB

Established Member
They won't let any passenger trains through except Eurostars. The safety case calls for two independant trains, normally coupled as one, that in an emergency can be divided in the tunnel, with all the passengers in the 'good' half, and leaving behind the 'bad' half.

In practice, this has never been done. Broken down trains are pulled out entire, both sets still coupled. So there is pressure to let passenger trains other than Eurostar use the tunnel. But never steamers - unless perhaps pulled through 'dead' (fire doused) by an electric loco.

Lots of class 20s have been to France and back, but pulled by an electric loco.

CS

Phoenix

Established Member
Yes indeed it's true that all trains have to be able to be divided and be able to power out of the tunnel as a half set and in fact why the TGV has not come through the tunnel yet.
And I recall that 3 DRS class 20's plus some stock has been through the tunnel by being dragged but other than the 20's used to construct the tunnel im not sure many other have.
Also to note a class 73 has once done part of the tunnel with a saloon vehicle.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Moved to NR General Discussion

The_Rail_WAy

Well I'm afraid the chances of a steam hauled service through the channel tunnel is probably about 0.3% for a whole host of reasons. As Captainspeaking rightly stated the best chance of seeing a steam engine travelling thorugh the channel tunnel would be if it was being dragged, provided it was'nt in steam.

I remember German Railways (Deustche Bahn) stating that if 69163 'Tornado' was to be allowed to tour German metals she would be ale to travel as fast as she liked. This would most robably involve dragging her through the tunnel.

Phoenix is correct a number of 37's have been dragged through the channel tunnel as they were required to help with the construction of high speed lines in France and Spain.

shinkansen09

Yes indeed it's true that all trains have to be able to be divided and be able to power out of the tunnel as a half set and in fact why the TGV has not come through the tunnel yet.
And I recall that 3 DRS class 20's plus some stock has been through the tunnel by being dragged but other than the 20's used to construct the tunnel im not sure many other have.
Also to note a class 73 has once done part of the tunnel with a saloon vehicle.

Other locos to have been through the tunnel (although not under their own power) include Class 37, 56 and 58 going for infrastructure work on LGV lines. A class 47 and 90 come to mind before the opening, performing traction current collection tests I recall........On the subject of steam locomotives in the Channel tunnel....before the tunnel was open a French "Paciffic" was placed in the north portal of running tunnel 2 (direction France) at the French end and came out under it`s own power for a photo shoot! I know this to be 100% correct as I saw it with my own eyes during a Eurostar evacuation exercise and still have the picture somewhere.

chuffchuff

To celebrate the opening, a 319 Emu run a passenger shuttle
to the first crossover and back a few times

Phoenix

Established Member
Other locos to have been through the tunnel (although not under their own power) include Class 37, 56 and 58 going for infrastructure work on LGV lines. A class 47 and 90 come to mind before the opening, performing traction current collection tests I recall........On the subject of steam locomotives in the Channel tunnel....before the tunnel was open a French "Paciffic" was placed in the north portal of running tunnel 2 (direction France) at the French end and came out under it`s own power for a photo shoot! I know this to be 100% correct as I saw it with my own eyes during a Eurostar evacuation exercise and still have the picture somewhere.

Could you please show us the shot if you can as it would be great to see.
And also to add a class 86 has also tested the wires at the English end of the Tunnels.

The_Rail_WAy

You mean 60163...
A french steam loco has gone through before though...

Yes I meant 60913 'Tornado.' I pressed the wrong button, thats all.

The story is that when 60163 'Tornado' tours France and Germany in 2010 the German railway authorities said that they would allow her to run on German metals and that she would be allowed to run as fast as she liked.

She will be running through the tunnel to get there, but I would expect her to be dragged rather than travel under her own steam.

me123

Established Member
As already mentioned, this would be a logistical nightmare. You'd need to get a steam train through the tunnel, which could block off a Eurostar route(?) and there's huge issues with immigration as well.

It'd be fantastic, but I don't expect it to happen.

TGVDUDE

As already mentioned, this would be a logistical nightmare.

not if you get eddie stobart to do it! lol

the steamer would have to stop at ashford attatch to a 92 or something and be towed to calais frethun regional platforms, to not to desturb eurostar traffic, and then on to wherever!

D841

That's correct. It was used to test the smoke alarm systems.

Death

Established Member
the steamer would have to stop at ashford attatch to a 92 or something and be towed to calais frethun regional platforms, to not to desturb eurostar traffic, and then on to wherever!
My own approach to the problem would be to calculate the entry speed required for the kettle to coast straight through the tunnel and emerge on the other side, then simply thrash it headlong into Folkstone TML yard at that speed plus 75mph! :shock:
Not only would that be less of a headache for Eurotunnel to deal with - There being no 92 needing digging up, not much work required to fit it into standard workings etc. - But the experience would be simply unforgettable from a passenger perspective! I'm not particularly a steam fan, myself...But that's one railtour I'd be definite first in line for! <D

Anyhow...Moving onto stuff that does fit the scope of 20th/21st century technology... :lol:

Interesting to read above about Eurostars and why they have the odd bogie arrangement (Mostly articulated, except for the locos and the connection between cars 10 and 11) on them - I'd always wondered why they'd not used an articulated bogie on that bit, and now I know! 8)

Although mind ye, exactly the same could be done with an APT-P in a high-power configuration (Two power cars) too...Thus, not only was the APT-P well ahead of it's time in being compatable with an international rail tunnel that hadn't even been proposed back then, but it would also have been compatable with TGV signalling systems with only a slight addition to the existing C-APT system! <D

To be honest...The more I look at the "downfall" of the APT-P, the more I'm inclined to think that every single smeghead on BR's board of see you next Tuesdays directors should be nominated for the biggest and most shameful Darwin awards of all time! <(

Status
Not open for further replies.