• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam Tours in July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CW2

Established Member
Well there's some good news and some bad news.
There are some pictures and diagrams on the Saphos Trains website Saphos Trains Covid precautions demonstrating how they will fit the passengers in safely. Of note:
- They have only modified the FO coaches, so no Standard class bookings are being accepted.
- They require you to book a minimum of 2 seats (on the website at least) - no solo bookings.
I sent them an email to query the minimum two seats booking requirement. This was their (commendably swift) response:

"Due to the social distancing restriction on passenger numbers we are currently unable to accept bookings for single passengers which is the same problem for the majority of charter train operators and heritage railways. We will of course reintroduce solo passenger bookings whenever possible so it may be worth contacting us around two weeks before a train runs to see if the seating plan allows for a single person occupying two seats and if so we will be pleased to take your booking."

341o2

Established Member
Seems like they (and others) are trying to carry the maximum number of passegers permitted under social distancing. They may allow last minute single bookings if it appears that there will otherwise be empty space within the train

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It is a shame that solo travelers are having this issue, seems to be the case with quite a number of railways and also when trying to book space in other environments too. It is not always possible to join up with a friend all the time. However, I do hope that the railway firms & others across the spectrum do well and revive soonest.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As a solo traveller, it is disappointing, but I do understand why they're doing it.

There is a comment on the Saphos web site suggesting that solo travellers contact them nearer the date of travel and they'll see what they can do, so I may well do that.

CW2

Established Member
The first Saphos tour this month is Crewe - Carlisle and return via S&C on Wednesday 15/07/20. It is scheduled to be worked by 70000 Britannia.

Possibly entirely coincidental, there is an additional ECS in the system for tomorrow (Tue 14/07/20). I don't know if this is at all related, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was to be a shakedown trip for loco and / or stock:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K05736/2020-07-14/detailed
It does Crewe CS - Preston - Crewe Gresty Lane - Preston - Warrington - Preston - Crewe.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Possibly entirely coincidental, there is an additional ECS in the system for tomorrow (Tue 14/07/20). I don't know if this is at all related, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was to be a shakedown trip for loco and / or stock:
It does Crewe CS - Preston - Crewe Gresty Lane - Preston - Warrington - Preston - Crewe.

That isn't anything to do with LSL. LSL operate from Crewe Diesel Depot, shown in RTT as Crewe H.S., and their trains are not obfuscated, as shown by their WTT paths being clearly visible on the Crewe station lineup in RTT.

mjn

The first Saphos tour this month is Crewe - Carlisle and return via S&C on Wednesday 15/07/20. It is scheduled to be worked by 70000 Britannia.

I believe this working is for a 37 + Caroline.

Romsey

The train service code is COLAS: 52495---, so an inspection trip with the old Southern Region GM saloon is possible.

stj

Well there's some good news and some bad news.
There are some pictures and diagrams on the Saphos Trains website Saphos Trains Covid precautions demonstrating how they will fit the passengers in safely. Of note:
- They have only modified the FO coaches, so no Standard class bookings are being accepted.
- They require you to book a minimum of 2 seats (on the website at least) - no solo bookings.
I sent them an email to query the minimum two seats booking requirement. This was their (commendably swift) response:

"Due to the social distancing restriction on passenger numbers we are currently unable to accept bookings for single passengers which is the same problem for the majority of charter train operators and heritage railways. We will of course reintroduce solo passenger bookings whenever possible so it may be worth contacting us around two weeks before a train runs to see if the seating plan allows for a single person occupying two seats and if so we will be pleased to take your booking."
Maybe reduce the price if bookings are slow

Status
Not open for further replies.