• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam train "gauging issues"...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRX

Established Member
What does this actually mean?

I've noticed it given as a reason for re-routing of tours sometimes - I can understand that certain locations might have gauge problems for certain vehicles, but why should such a problem crop up only once the tour is underway?

Also, was booked to go on the Sussex Belle on the 29th March and have just heard that it's been cancelled due to "gauging issues". But this is a train that runs fairly regularly and presumably the route has been ok in the past so why suddenly a problem? Has a bridge moved in the night or something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hydro

Established Member
Has a bridge moved in the night or something?

No, but the track might have. Sometimes issues when tamping (like going over maximum lift/slue values inadvertently) can restrict certain clearances. Not saying that this is the case, but still....

Stock operating with dispensation over a route it hasn't been formally cleared for can be refused dispensation due to the concerns of the local Engineer, who will know areas of tight clearance or track movement etc...

GNERman

Established Member
I seem to recall Olton Hall had some issues at Carlisle a couple of years ago with regards to this, something hit the platforms IIRC...

Chris125

Established Member
Track can move just through the passage of trains, add tamping, stoneblowing and other maintenance activities and track can move out of gauge for certain classes of steam loco, most often GWR classes with their large outside cylinders.

Chris

BRX

Established Member
I see. I guess this is what the structure gauging train is there to check for, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.