• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steel Wheels Railway Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

bje3400

Hi All!

As you almost certainly will have heard via the excellent Signals to Danger podcast, my own railway podcast, Steel Wheels, is now live.

This is my very first foray into the podcasting world so don't go expecting BBC level quality, but I hope you will all find something to enjoy! I have attached my links below for you all.

Please feel free to offer me any feedback you may have, whether it be positive or negative, it's all constructive! :D

It's now available across most podcasting platforms, and is totally free to listen to. I'm keen to keep it ad free too, so if you find that you do enjoy my work, please do consider signing up as a patron at patreon.com/steel_wheels.

As with Dan's podcast, it's only £3 a month, but your patronage will be massively appreciated and will help me take this podcast from strength to strength. :smile:

Best wishes,

Ben.:smile:

patreon.com/steel_wheels

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ffesti

Hi All!

As you almost certainly will have heard via the excellent Signals to Danger podcast, my own railway podcast, Steel Wheels, is now live.

This is my very first foray into the podcasting world so don't go expecting BBC level quality, but I hope you will all find something to enjoy! I have attached my links below for you all.

Please feel free to offer me any feedback you may have, whether it be positive or negative, it's all constructive! :D

It's now available across most podcasting platforms, and is totally free to listen to. I'm keen to keep it ad free too, so if you find that you do enjoy my work, please do consider signing up as a patron at patreon.com/steel_wheels.

As with Dan's podcast, it's only £3 a month, but your patronage will be massively appreciated and will help me take this podcast from strength to strength. :smile:

Best wishes,

Ben.:smile:

patreon.com/steel_wheels
Hi Ben,
I’ve really enjoyed your first three episodes and look forward to the next ones. I think your format of 3 episodes at a time is unique and effective.
I particularly enjoyed learning about the origins of railways as this is something not often talked about. Your episode about Newton Fitzwarren is also excellent. The information is clearly and concisely presented and I found the diagram provided particularly helpful in understanding the circumstances surrounding the incident.
I’m very glad to have found your podcast, especially so to see it now on Apple Podcasts as this is my platform of choice! Perfectly timed to help get me through this lockdown.
I look forward to your next episodes, keep up the good work!

bje3400

My goodness, thank you very much, I'm most flattered and pleased to hear you've enjoyed it so much :smile:

The feedback has been a big confidence boost, glad to know I'm doing things right!

I had intended to release a batch of episodes every fortnight but I'm afraid that work plans threw out that schedule a little this month, but I'm hoping to make up for it with an extra long episode on the Charfield crash which is almost ready for release.

Hope you continue to enjoy the show! :D

bje3400

Episode 4 has now been released! This is an extra long feature episode on the little known, but deeply mysterious Charfield rail disaster of 1928.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well that's tomorrow sorted then! can't wait!
Just enjoyed your Castlecary episode, and just started this one. Quite an interesting Monday so far. ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Glad you're enjoying it so far!
That was very interesting I must say.
I knew a bit about that crash but there were lots of details in there that were new to me. Good work.

ffesti

Episode 4 has now been released! This is an extra long feature episode on the little known, but deeply mysterious Charfield rail disaster of
Had an excellent morning listening to Episode 4 (and the Castlecary episode of S2D). Once again the standard is excellent and the episode very engaging. I found the ending particularly chilling and sobering. Thanks for another great episode, I look forward to 5 and 6!
Both yourself and Dan are doing excellent work, spreading the message of rail safety both within and outside our industry

bje3400

Thank you all for the positive feedback, glad to hear that I'm doing it right! :)

Turns out from the download figures that this is actually on track to be my most popular episode so far! :D

bje3400

Exciting times! I've some driving to do then so you've sorted me right out!
Ah perfect! I might sound a little more bunged up than usual I'm afraid, I have a delightful cold at the moment (not the dreaded plague fortunately), but hopefully it'll sound alright all the same

bje3400

Hello all, hope that you're all well right now, and that being confined to barracks isn't getting to you too much!

It's been a little while but I'm pleased to say that another batch of episodes is nearly ready for release.

My next episode will be on the Salisbury crash of 1906, followed up by the next two instalments of the history and technology episodes. After that I hope to round this new batch off with another safety episode, this time on the baffling Grantham crash, also in 1906.

I've also just been signed up on vurbl.com, which will help massively with distribution, so if any of you are continuing to enjoy the show, please do consider signing up via the link below, or sharing it with your friends :)

As ever, every single like, share, comment and subscription helps spread the word and is hugely appreciated :D

See you all soon!

Ben.

I'm also pleased to announce that the podcast's merchandise store is now live! :D All items are currently on sale!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Ben. Will catch up with it tomorrow. Really enjoy listening to them.

bje3400

Pleased to announce that my brand new shiny website is now live! :D

Tons of high quality merchandise available :)

Hi all,

Bit of a sad post but necessary :(

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you all that unfortunately, Steel Wheels Podcast has had to close permanently.

It has been made clear to me by my railway employer that continued production of the podcast could lead me into being in breach of the social media policy in place within the company, and that I may be laying myself open to dismissal if the show is not removed completely from all platforms.

I am very disappointed in this decision, and will miss producing the show terribly. I hate having to bow to red tape and bureaucracy but I hope you can understand that my career must come first.

Thank you all for your support over the podcast's brief existence, it really was very much appreciated, you are all awesome!

My best wishes for you all.

Ben.

Last edited:

tpfx89

I know I've messaged you privately, but I want to say publicly how disappointed I am to read this.

Not only will it be a real shame to lose a quality piece of media in a very limited area, but it brings very real concern for people like me in a very similar position.

I'm sorry Ben.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a huge shame Ben and I’m really sorry to hear that.
Obviously you don’t want to rock the boat with your employer but I hope that you can sort something out with this in the future at some point.

A Challenge

Established Member
I hadn't got round to starting this podcast yet (I've not been listening to many podcasts for the last couple of months) but it is sad to hear it is having to go before I listen to it - really hope Signals to Danger doesn't go the same way.

bearhugger

Pleased to announce that my brand new shiny website is now live! :D

Tons of high quality merchandise available :)

Hi all,

Bit of a sad post but necessary :(

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you all that unfortunately, Steel Wheels Podcast has had to close permanently.

It has been made clear to me by my railway employer that continued production of the podcast could lead me into being in breach of the social media policy in place within the company, and that I may be laying myself open to dismissal if the show is not removed completely from all platforms.

I am very disappointed in this decision, and will miss producing the show terribly. I hate having to bow to red tape and bureaucracy but I hope you can understand that my career must come first.

Thank you all for your support over the podcast's brief existence, it really was very much appreciated, you are all awesome!

My best wishes for you all.

Ben.
I have to agree with others and say this is very sad news. I have only just seen this after checking for new episodes earlier this evening and getting "umable to load - not found" on the podcast app i use. At the moment I am struggling to understand how the podcast is in breach of social media policy, there was no bringing any TOC/ FOC or anything railway related into disrepute or anything like that.

bje3400

I have to agree with others and say this is very sad news. I have only just seen this after checking for new episodes earlier this evening and getting "umable to load - not found" on the podcast app i use. At the moment I am struggling to understand how the podcast is in breach of social media policy, there was no bringing any TOC/ FOC or anything railway related into disrepute or anything like that.
I know :(

Status
Not open for further replies.