• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steeton to London, known out, unsure return, ticket query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Hi folks,

Myself and my good lady are going to the Belgian GP in September so need to get to London to connect with a coach. Travelling down on the evening of the 29th August after work so we can catch a set train on the Wednesday evening, probably the 1825 Steeton departure to change at Leeds for East Coast.

On the way home however, arriving back in the UK on Monday 3rd September in the evening, we are getting into Victoria Coach station at about 17:45 but the tour organiser said that this is only an approximate time as the ferries can be very unpredictable in bad weather, so obviously for the journey home I cannot really book a set train - could book the last train of the evening but then might end up waiting around for ages at LX, or even missing this if there are long delays.

What would be the best ticket combo to use? Many thanks. (No railcards BTW).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What would be the best ticket combo to use? Many thanks. (No railcards BTW).
Not quite sure what you mean by the best combo to use.

But a Steeton to London Super Off Peak or Off Peak return will be much more appropriate in this case than an Advance ticket. I would not get an Advance ticket in the circumstances you describe. If you do get an Advance you will have to specify a late train that you are certain of making, and do something else in London while you wait, if you arrive earlier.

http://www.brfares.com/#fares?orig=SON&dest=1072&rlc=

The Super Off Peak Return (SSR) is much cheaper but you cannot use it in the evening peak out of King's Cross. The Off Peak Return (SVR) return portion is valid on any train out of Kings Cross.

Then use Oyster PAYG for the tube.

However if you want one ticket that includes the tube you can buy a ticket to Zone U1 London, this costs £6 more than to London Terminals, for a return.

calc7

Established Member
Another option is an Advance ticket down, and for coming back buy a half-price Super Off-Peak Single from the East Coast website, between London Kings Cross and Leeds. Then you just need appropriate Single ticket(s) each from Leeds to Steeton to complete the journey.

The ticket retails at £46.55, is valid from the 1903 departure to Leeds on the Monday after your return to the country.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Speaking of tickets from Steeton to London, I think that I might have found a fares anomaly can save a bit of money. However, I don't want to misinform or get it withdrawn by naming the exact ticket on this public forum. If it is valid then it would probably raise a few eyebrows if used. Is there anyone who's a whizz with the Routing Guide who I can PM to check if it is indeed a valid ticket and route?

calc7

Established Member
Speaking of tickets from Steeton to London, I think that I might have found a fares anomaly can save a bit of money. However, I don't want to misinform or get it withdrawn by naming the exact ticket on this public forum. If it is valid then it would probably raise a few eyebrows if used. Is there anyone who's a whizz with the Routing Guide who I can PM to check if it is indeed a valid ticket and route?

I will happily give my input on its validity.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Thanks.

calc7 agrees that it is valid. If anyone is interested in what the ticket is then I'll say that the origin station isn't in Yorkshire and currently only has a train service to the relevant routing point on one day of the week. PM me if you can't work it out from that.;)

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Thanks.

calc7 agrees that it is valid. If anyone is interested in what the ticket is then I'll say that the origin station isn't in Yorkshire and currently only has a train service to the relevant routing point on one day of the week. PM me if you can't work it out from that.;)

I suppose that would narrow it down to places like Denton, Reddish South, Teesside Airport or stations on the Saturdays only Brigg line - but I can't imagine how any of those would be valid. I can't think of any other "one train a week" stations in that area.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's not really that big an anomaly, it's only an anomaly on certain ticket types when travelling at certain times, due to the pricing structure of different TOCs. There are issues like that all over the country!

If the SOS passes the fares check rule, you can use a far cheaper ticket if you are travelling off peak, on certain flows. This sort of thing is covered in our Fares Workshops ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.