• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steve Davis retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Steve Davis (snooker) has retired, according to the BBC his nickname was "Nugget", I always thought it was "Interesting".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steveman

He was always called "Interesting" in every show I ever saw but a quick referral to Wiki has him with 6 nick-names.
The other 4 being :
Ginger Mushroom, Romford Slim, Master Cueman, Ginger Magician.

He wasn't the worse but it seems snooker does produce loads of players with no personality and no charisma.

Last edited:

Railops

He was always called "Interesting" in every show I ever saw but a quick referral to Wiki has him with 6 nick-names.
The other 4 being :
Ginger Mushroom, Romford Slim, Master Cueman, Ginger Magician.

He wasn't the worse but it seems snooker does produce loads of players with no personality and no charisma.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has a personality but unfortunately it's not a very nice one.

Antman

Established Member

Ronnie O'Sullivan's attention seeking drama's certainly are a bit tiresome.

I've never understood why Steve Davis gets so much stick about his alleged personality or the lack of?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan's attention seeking drama's certainly are a bit tiresome.

I've never understood why Steve Davis gets so much stick about his alleged personality or the lack of?

Indeed compared to Stephen Hendry he'd be the life and soul of any party!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Steve Davis is the reason i like snooker. He was a winning machine compared to the other players and just kept on winning! He was relentless in his play and very rarely made mistakes during his pomp.

As for O'Sullivan: He is clearly a challenged genius but I would like him to win over all the other bland androids taking part in modern snooker.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
To be honest, I had no idea he was still playing. As you can probably tell, I don't take a great deal of interest in snooker!

bnm

Established Member

Ronnie has documented mental health issues.

Understanding mental health issues may give people a better perception of a person's personality.

Clip

Established Member
Loved Steve Davis since I was a kid. Massive music fan too - played bloc weekender a while back.

Antman

Established Member
Ronnie has documented mental health issues.

Understanding mental health issues may give people a better perception of a person's personality.

He's basically an attention seeking drama queen.

He's in trouble again with the snooker authorities for refusing to speak to the media, quite honestly I think the game would be better off without him.

Groningen

Established Member
Steve Davis is the only snookerplayer i know of where he lived (and maybe still) and that is Romford. Also; say 30 years ago there was a deciding frame and i followed it on Ceefax. I believe Davis lost that frame and so the match.

crispy1978

Steve Davis has developed a lot more of a personality IMO since he took to the TV work, and I actually find him quite likeable now.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why do you doubt that?

Nobody is bigger than the game itself and snooker will go on with or without Ronnie O'Sullivan

of course it will, but the people come to see the best and most exciting players. Do you think the other androids currently playing the game have the same draw as O'Sullivan?

backontrack

Established Member
I used to think that Judd Trump had a cool, unusual and interesting name. And I still do, Donald's not spoiling that for me!

I mean, try saying it. Judd Trump.

Judd. Trump.

It's awesome, right?

DaleCooper

Established Member
I used to think that Judd Trump had a cool, unusual and interesting name. And I still do, Donald's not spoiling that for me!

I mean, try saying it. Judd Trump.

Judd. Trump.

It's awesome, right?

Totally off topic but what about Hank Wangford? Now there's a name to conjure with.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Further off topic, that still doesn't come close to the Crewe Alexandra legend and Spoonerism waiting to happen, Kenny Lunt (!)

There used to be a couple of regular writers in the Evening Standard named Minty Clinch and Gay Search.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor were both winners in an era where most of the to players were half cut by the time they got to the finals! Rare you saw the likes of the hurricane without a pint in one hand, fag in gob and cue in the other, but what a character he was!

Jimmy White, John Virgo, two other nameable legends the sport misses today....

there was a deciding frame and i followed it on Ceefax. I believe Davis lost that frame and so the match.

Legendary match even to this day. He was playing against Dennis Taylor and it was right down to the black iirc....

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor were both winners in an era where most of the to players were half cut by the time they got to the finals! Rare you saw the likes of the hurricane without a pint in one hand, fag in gob and cue in the other, but what a character he was!

Jimmy White, John Virgo, two other nameable legends the sport misses today....

Legendary match even to this day. He was playing against Dennis Taylor and it was right down to the black iirc....
Didnt they end up having to re-spot the black after the deciding frame ended in a draw?
About 1980 I think it was.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cliff Thorburn, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton, the fat Canadian (can't remember his name) and of course Count Dracula - Ray Reardon.

Bill Werbeniuk I think it was, he had to have about 10 pints of lager before each match to stop a nervous shake he suffered from.

Edit-
Here is an interesting history about him-
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2003/jan/24/guardianobituaries.snooker

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
It was roughly around that time. I remember staying up very late watching it on the TV, a pokey white plastic black and white portable! I was only 10 at the time (or younger) and it must have been 2am when it finally finished.

Edit:-

Found it! 1985. And oh myy....

Those glasses!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=78rgfQYDjxo

Tv's highest audience for a sporting event shown after midnight of 18million and still hasn't been beaten!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...teve-davis-18-17-at-the-crucible-1741225.html

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Off topic slightly, Noels House Party and his "Gotcha" awards when he pulled practical jokes on celebrities. John Virgo was asked to do a snooker version of Right Said Fred's I'm Too Sexy. Dennis Taylor made a cameo appearance where he took the mickey out of his own glasses.

Hilarious send up!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhVKBhKqnE4

Status
Not open for further replies.