• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steve Irwin Has Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
heard it on the radio about 10mins ago - don't know why but always saw it coming to that guy for some reason.

Dave A

I don't see him as anything special. He was a guy who liked to antagonise animals! He was always going to be killed by one, and he had it coming to him!

I do feel sorry for his family, but the only thing he's famous for is making money out of making animals suffer!

Guinness

Established Member
"Crikey Mate"

Always liked Steve Irwin as a kid. Found him hilarious jumping on Crocodiles.

Sad that he's gone. :(

So what? Another overrated 'Z' list celebrity'
Who had a family. No matter what people think of him he had a wife and kids and friends. No matter who he was, he will still be missed by them.

H

HR2

Like I said, I don't care what people think of what I say anymore. Uncalled for or not that was my opinion and still is. Now because of his stupidity he has left a wife and two kids to struggle through life without a Husband/Father. Selfish git.

The Snap

Established Member
I don't see him as anything special. He was a guy who liked to antagonise animals! He was always going to be killed by one, and he had it coming to him!

I do feel sorry for his family, but the only thing he's famous for is making money out of making animals suffer!

I agree he had it coming, but I don't think he made animals suffer. He wanted to see the animals as he had a massive interest in them, and surely cared for them, therefore, wouldn't want to hurt them.

He had it coming, he was going to get killed by something someday!

Shame though...

Craig

Established Member
I agree with James and Frank. Despite how he is portrayed in the media he has done a lot of good work for conservation and environmentalism. Some of the comments that have been made are totally uncalled for :roll:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I agree with James and Frank. Despite how he is portrayed in the media he has done a lot of good work for conservation and environmentalism. Some of the comments that have been made are totally uncalled for :roll:

And I agree with you on that point as well. (As well as agreeing with Frank and James).

Any program Steve Irwin made was normally always a joy to watch, as he conveyed a sense of knowledge through to the viewer, and knew how to treat animals with the care that they deserve.

ChrisA

Like I said, I don't care what people think of what I say anymore. Uncalled for or not that was my opinion and still is. Now because of his stupidity he has left a wife and two kids to struggle through life without a Husband/Father. Selfish git.

But the irony this case it was totally unprovoked. He was merely swimming and didnt notice the Stingray. Tis a tradgedy. Althought he had some unorthadox appraoches he did alot of good for wildlife and opened people eyes. A great man and a great loss. This pictures started going around:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/p1314/notstingray.jpg

metrocammel

It is a shame, as he was a character, as well as a very informative naturalist. To be honest, he probably "saved" lives in his time, as he has found a lot about different snake venoms etc, and how the antidotes work. So it is a shame, though I personally did think that he may die in similar circumstances to how he did, as he has had several "near misses" before.

H

HR2

Go on, get off the fence HR2!

I woke to the news of this..I laid there motionless thinking...who the hell is he?

Sad news though when anyone dies. I guess this guy played with fire and got burnt. Sounds like he did a lot of good work for animals, which is always a good thing in my book.

I am off the fence. While I still hold to my opinion of him that is all it is. An opinion. I agree he did a lot of good with his wildlife programmes and taught others a great deal. There is no denying that.But he did it is a damn stupid way and now the poor ******* has paid the price.. Where he went wrong was to get TOO pally with the creatures he taught about. He must have been damn close to the stingray to get barbed like that. He took one risk too many.

TheSlash

Established Member
We need more people like Steve Irwin on this planet. In todays world where humans and dangerous animals are living ever closer together, he taught how to co exist.
I think alot of people still need to learn from his teachings, especially my colleagues who will insist on aggrevating adders during the summer

H

HR2

Found this elsewhere on the net. >>

For Sale
20 pairs of khaki shorts
20 khaki shirts
1 pair of timberlands
1 hat with corks
1 wet suit with a small hole in it.

Then you say I am disrespectful. I may not have liked the man but at least I am not taking the p*ss out of him now he is dead.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Then you say I am disrespectful. I may not have liked the man but at least I am not taking the p*ss out of him now he is dead.

Laughter, sarcasm, wit and humour are all defensive mechanisms that people use to cope with a situation, I myself use sarcasm as a defensive form.

Saying somebody got what they deserved doesnt have any form of excuse.

H

HR2

Saying somebody got what they deserved doesnt have any form of excuse.

I don't offer any excuse. I simply made the point the the guy DID get what he was asking for. He knew the dangers, he knew the risks, and yet he still carried on. OK on refleection he was the victim of someone else's actions [IE the cameraman startled the stingray] but even Irwin knew that you don't go close to a dangerous creature without some protection. Irwin got complacent and paid the price. No-one wants to see it happen but it has.

Why is it in this so called 'democratic' day and age no-one can accept a plain down-to-earth opinion if it contradicts their own view of things? I don't ask you to AGREE with what I have said on this subject just read it. If it makes you angry, well there are 2 sides to all arguments. One of the basic tenets of democracy is 'I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it' The folk today are being slowly brainwashed into being sheep. Agressive ones but sheep all the same.

I pity the youth of today in that not too far into the future there will be race and religious wars that have been stirred up by factions of ALL religions and political views. Then you'll all have something to protest and worry about. If you don't like the way things are going in the country [or the world] then you have the power to change it. So you must ALL OF YOU get together and live in harmony even when you disagree temporarily.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I simply made the point the the guy DID get what he was asking for.
I dont believe for a moment that he wanted to die.

He knew the dangers, he knew the risks, and yet he still carried on.
Risks? People ride the animal. There have only been three deaths in Australian waters from Stingray attacks in recorded history.

OK on refleection he was the victim of someone else's actions [IE the cameraman startled the stingray] but even Irwin knew that you don't go close to a dangerous creature without some protection.
Dangerous creature? Nope.
Protection? What the hell are you supposed to do, swim around with a wetsuit made of kevlar?

Irwin got complacent and paid the price. No-one wants to see it happen but it has.
I dont believe for a second that he got complacent.

As far as I am concerned, you are the most disgusting, right-winged fascist old man that I have ever had the displeasure to exchange a conversation with; I can certainly see that Double Trigger was right about you!

Craig

Established Member
I simply made the point the the guy DID get what he was asking for.
I don't think he deliberately went into the water with the intention of being killed by a stingray.

He knew the dangers, he knew the risks, and yet he still carried on.
AIUI he's only the third person to be killed by a stingray in Australia. Hardly that risky.

What about, for example, firemen? They know the risks involved in their profession, but if they happen to be killed on duty do they deserve it? What about people killed in car accidents? They know the risks of travelling by road, so surely they deserve to die too?

H

HR2

I dont believe for a moment that he wanted to die. I did not say he did. No-one wants to die.

Risks? People ride the animal. There have only been three deaths in Australian waters from Stingray attacks in recorded history. Maybe so, so there was a precendent to a known danger

Dangerous creature? Nope.
Protection? What the hell are you supposed to do, swim around with a wetsuit made of kevlar? No, but you keep a respectful distance from dangerous animals

I dont believe for a second that he got complacent. He did unfortunately.Otherwise he would have been further away.

As far as I am concerned, you are the most disgusting, right-winged fascist old man that I have ever had the displeasure to exchange a conversation with; I can certainly see that Double Trigger was right about you!

I am what I am and you are what you are, and I don't damn well care.

Simming

tbh, the guy had it coming to him

My sympathies to the wife and kid (s?) that he left behind

bunnahabhain

Established Member
HR2 (who put it in a quote box of what I said) said:
No, but you keep a respectful distance from dangerous animals

All animals are dangerous, Dogs bite, Cats scratch, Humans murder and maim.....so I should stay away from every living thing.

HR2 said:
He did unfortunately.Otherwise he would have been further away.

Look at me! I'm the Croc Hunter, hiding safely behind this protective fence.

And if you "dont damn well care", what's with all the red text?

It's not surprising that he got injured, but it's certainly not deserved or warranted as your were implying.

H

HR2

All animals are dangerous, Dogs bite, Cats scratch, Humans murder and maim.....so I should stay away from every living thing.

Look at me! I'm the Croc Hunter, hiding safely behind this protective fence.

And if you "dont damn well care", what's with all the red text?

It's not surprising that he got injured, but it's certainly not deserved or warranted as your were implying.

[/color]

I am NOT IMPLYING ANYTHING. I simply state that he knew all the downs of what he was doing and sooner or later something like this was bound to happen. It's YOU who are mis-intrpreting what is written. As for the red text it is just a way of replying to your comments. No significance in it. You'll come to realise that the best teacher in life is experience. At 18 you'll not have enough life experience to make a balanced judgement. That is NOT an attack on your person. Just to let you know that life has some nasty surprises is store for you. As it has for everyone else.

Craig

Established Member
I simply state that he knew all the downs of what he was doing and sooner or later something like this was bound to happen.
What about, for example, firemen? They know the risks involved in their profession, but if they happen to be killed on duty do they deserve it? What about people killed in car accidents? They know the risks of travelling by road, so surely they deserve to die too?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
What comes will come, and when it comes I'll deal with it in as level headed as possible. That tone you have adopted is very threatening and it's plainly obvious that life has not been very kind to you.....in many ways.....though I'm hoping for more. If you're allowed the opinion that Steve Irwin deserved it, then I believe I am entitled to the opinion that you deserve it too. You are only denying what you have said now that some people have shown everybody else what you are like; a disgusting, perverse, right wing fascist old man who has no friends so has to go on meets with children.

Live with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.