• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage-Manchester Off-Peak Restriction Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I need to travel from Stevenage to Manchester next Tuesday arriving around noon returning later the same day. I need a degree of flexibility on timings.

The +Any Permitted SVR takes restriction code 9I. I believe this means I can take any train from Stevenage to London then any train from Euston to Manchester departing after 0926 (the 0940 departure gives a very convenient arrival time of 1149).

Problem is I can't find a booking sites that will allow the 0940 departure from Euston on an off-peak ticket. I assume this is because the restriction code is being misinterpreted as it specifically mentions departure and arrival times from Stevenage (I assume this restriction would apply if I wished to travel via Peterborough).

Interestingly when I search journeys from Knebworth to Manchester which has 9I as the restriction code as well it will allow travel on the 0940.

Can someone confirm that I can use the 0940 departure from Euston on an off-peak return from Stevenage to Manchester and that it is just a glitch in the booking sites. I wonder how many people get caught out by this and end up paying more than necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
The only restriction on the outward portion of that particular ticket, is the time you can leave Euston. The Stevenage restriction would only apply if you were travelling north from Stevenage, via Peterborough.

Therefore, the ticket is valid on the 09:40 from London Euston :)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for confirming this, RJ. I thought I was correct so I'll have to book at a station to get a seat reservations.

This does seem rather a basic error by the booking sites (tried both Webtis and trainline powered ones).

island

Veteran Member
Booking sites often don't properly interpret the special rule about a connection within the Network area being unrestricted on a journey to/from somewhere outside the area.

barrykas

Established Member
Looking at the restriction text, it doesn't explicitly state that it only applies when travelling Northbound, so the booking engines (and Journey Planner and FasTIS for that matter) enforce the rule exactly as written, whereas a Booking Clerk should use their common sense to apply what is intended.

Cheers,

Barry

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The restriction from Stevenage (which is intended to apply Northbound as discussed) is not applicable when this applies:

NETWORK AREA:
The London & South East
Network Area is shown in the
London Area Fares section E0

Off-Peak tickets for journeys
starting within the Network
Area to destinations outside
the Network Area with travel
via London are valid by any
train to London, to connect
with trains from London.
The problem is that booking engines struggle to understand which rule trumps which other rule.

Sometimes this confusion results in passengers being overcharged, and sometimes it results in passengers being undercharged. TOCs appear less keen to 'resolve' matters when the former happens compared to when the latter happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.