• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage platform 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc-c

Hi malc-c thanks for video - good to see the sleepers on the curve.
Re the switch at Langley junction - is it welded in the down running line - presumably 'locked off' in some way.
Excuse the low level of knowledge here!

Hey don't put yourself down on the level of knowledge, I'm in the same boat :) I'm just an enthusiast, I have no in-depth knowledge of terminologies etc.

Regarding the work done last night on the up-slow, I have no idea if the track was welded or if the panels were bolted. Looking at the video I have of the switch on the down slow at the junction I can't see any signs of joiners so would presume that the track is welded. Mind you it makes no difference as they will cut the track where needed, and then install the panel. I'm just hoping that the switch will be installed just north of the A602 bridge rather than under the bridge so I get some decent footage :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

malc-c

And a medium sized Kirow Crane unlike last times mini one!

Yeah. There was a smaller one still in the siding, but the one on the other side of the bridge was a tad larger :) - I have been told that that beast lifted two 60' sections at a time when loading the wagons !

Mcq

Hey don't put yourself down on the level of knowledge, I'm in the same boat :) I'm just an enthusiast, I have no in-depth knowledge of terminologies etc.

Regarding the work done last night on the up-slow, I have no idea if the track was welded or if the panels were bolted. Looking at the video I have of the switch on the down slow at the junction I can't see any signs of joiners so would presume that the track is welded. Mind you it makes no difference as they will cut the track where needed, and then install the panel. I'm just hoping that the switch will be installed just north of the A602 bridge rather than under the bridge so I get some decent footage :)
So regarding the switch to allow access to platform 5, is that going between signal numbers 939 and 1978 of the Open Train Times Live map?

malc-c

So regarding the switch to allow access to platform 5, is that going between signal numbers 939 and 1978 of the Open Train Times Live map?

Yes.. But exactly how it will fit in is not yet known. As far as I know the existing switch where the Hertford loop joins the down slow is remaining, so the new switch will come off the Hertford loop just prior. No idea if this will be north or south of the bridge But to quote Network Rails website

Additionally, new overhead line equipment will be installed and two existing overbridge structures (Broadhall Bridge and Six Hills Bridge) will be modified.

Which might suggest that the intersection will be south of the bridge to eliminate any "S" type arrangement of the track as it goes past the existing bridge support as shown in the image in post #249 shown below

obsticles-png.67296

malc-c

Having said that, if there is planned trackwork modifications scheduled for next month there isn't much time to do extensive modifications to the bridge

malc-c

This is not my image. This photo taken from platform 4 shows the brickwork for the new platform is taking shape

stevenage platform 5.png

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Which might suggest that the intersection will be south of the bridge to eliminate any "S" type arrangement of the track as it goes past the existing bridge support as shown in the image in post #249 shown below

obsticles-png.67296

Having said that, if there is planned trackwork modifications scheduled for next month there isn't much time to do extensive modifications to the bridge
The support with the left-pointing arrow would have to stay - getting rid of that would involve replacing the bridge. So I think the maximum that will happen is some change to the cabinets shown by the right-pointing arrow.

I'd guess the turnout will be roughly where the camera is in that picture.

Mcq

I see no trains on Sunday - does anyone know if anything is planned re Stevenage?

malc-c

Not sure. RTT shows a working timetable tomorrow, although there are replacement busses to Ally pally stopping at all stations on the Hertford loop. Normally the bus service is shuttling between Stevenage and Watton at weekends. I'll take a look if I have a moment tomorrow

Fred26

Not sure. RTT shows a working timetable tomorrow, although there are replacement busses to Ally pally stopping at all stations on the Hertford loop. Normally the bus service is shuttling between Stevenage and Watton at weekends. I'll take a look if I have a moment tomorrow

The bus is Monday - Friday only.
Trains run Stevenage - Moorgate on Saturday (1tph) and Sunday (2tph).
This Sunday there is engineering work on the loop so the whole line is closed. Buses Stevenage - Alexandra Palace.

The bus is Monday - Friday only.
Trains run Stevenage - Moorgate on Saturday (1tph) and Sunday (2tph).
This Sunday there is engineering work on the loop so the whole line is closed. Buses Stevenage - Alexandra Palace.
Trains seem to be running normally via WGC

malc-c

RTT show a possession of the Redland siding at Langley Junction, with *20* between Knebworth and south of Stevenage. T3 Possession for the Hertford Loop.

jon0844

Veteran Member
RTT show a possession of the Redland siding at Langley Junction, with *20* between Knebworth and south of Stevenage. T3 Possession for the Hertford Loop.

A (item) -15- job earlier on the ECML overran by a fair bit. Forced what few trains were running to use the slows, so no real impact on anything.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

The “20” wil be the “item number” in the possessions section of this week’s relevant weekly operating notice. Possessions 1-19 will have been either earlier in time (since 0001 Saturday) or further south of Stevenage, or both.

TheHSRailFan

Hey everyone,
I usrally lurk on this thread to see progress but never seen that much of the progress of the platfrom from close above from the walkway over the station recently. Anway heres an image i took recently

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QSDp4ME3SGpfdiCP9

FYI: the website seems to not like my 2MB photo

malc-c

Thanks for the contribution. I've included the image in the thread.

Work is certainly progressing at the station (looking busy with three trains in the platforms !) - I've personally had issues with access having received a ticket last time I visited the site. Seems that camera seen on the right of the image monitors anyone who parks in the car park and leaves the boundary of the leisure park gets a £60 ticket !

RffZ4gZRjHafjMGr0EOHdiByxuXyxADgI2CXgjnynllZLDXcbbkNkCzd-roPdobx2ZyScMxPSLLjtj9MYnrJYrjX7Vdv1u4VaVU5JPvKuUlM64b4t4HmDlDBZ-LEzwbdPkZntRkOTg8xkYKqfC5miiYgYEYYfGsbWqQEmhyeil1sBf8B1zpuvKtx8WIp8JNdpZEIOmR0Pp81R7QP5-uNCkQlWjLZ7gDl9EiiF1MUNBCUrCnHJbq4fOmXJICc_sA5oKi5E6wDVImeUwOqSYn3inzUuezgg5p10aAYNM3f3to8VKOp7rJ2-i4w9JIKhLvMdK5QiDPmPJ31uobKOUlD4pKu00ibd66DK7Tjqfw5WVl_GGLxGgDsmAJTWzpM5B2lCRn2eJOoyd3jHlRNq_uMTdz6VpCAScqZn8o5bv8ggHopMLtYl-9HXWvnKt63Khcpncv28BvCZkQ25hIDWicLoprPoR8uij3vwfcC3c8pV_HMhdmAUhEojd0tino-i74DSgN_1LDmY4CtCH3rTWRbZZebxuQ52S__ubnM_fxcwbqoaFG03psdH6j_DaOVHMnHEOZuUmICVI2pz9CQoOr6_5lBllvTL4fjz9QiGTsS-CGRTKCHXEBjTasMH0JWwBaFiiAPQ5Hcmu99ikt8CeQowztHUaEBT6IreepTvodNPERu7gZ9qPvZu0ock5-j3UIVJxW5AMT_pgW4DoIl8dZdxxBQN9eNqntg7H2OozBoONdzPM9y=w1250-h937-no

Thanks for your contribution

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That car park is notorious! A few years ago it made the Daily Hate as they clamped something like 100 cars in one day.

59CosG95

Established Member
Passing south today, I've noticed at least 11 Piled Foundations are now installed next to the alignment of the new track. There's one not yet installed, lying on its side in the proposed cess.

There are probably more than 11, but a Thameslink service got in the way as I passed the southern end of the site.

malc-c

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping to pop down there tomorrow and record another update. I'm also still awaiting news of any dates for the proposed track work, but like most things there is only a certain amount of information they can or will make public.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Apologies if already posted, but November's Modern Railways says that blockades on Jan 25-26 and Feb 29 to Mar 1 are mainly about commissioning Stevenage with the second one for the signaling. So the first one is probably to complete the track.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The discussion does raise an interesting side point. It may be hidden elsewhere in the tread but how is it proposed to connect this to the rest of the station. I was assuming it was going to be from the bridge heading to the retail park. But if they do this you won’t be able to make connections to other services without passing the barrier line twice.

plugwash

Established Member
The network rail CGI render shows a ticket barrier area at platform level, then stairs and a lift to a new elevated walkway, which joins on to the side of the leisure park bridge. So it seems like everyone going to and from the new platform will have to go through the new ticket barriers. If they want to go to/from the existing platforms then they will have the option of using either the ticket barriers or the lifts.

I strongly suspect that at least initially this will cause some fun with interchanging passengers having to be manually let through barriers.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Wonder if the gateline will be remotely controlled from the concourse or have staff on it???

Failed Unit

Established Member
Thanks. Yes must have seen that somewhere as that is how I had it pictured in my mind.

I suspect the minimum interchange time at Stevenage will need to go up.

I know as a carnet user, having to get let through the barrier really slows you down. The biggest challenge is normally getting the attention of someone to loom at your ticket.

however this isn’t supposed to be a negative post. Anything is better then a bus and Hertford will see a nice boost in their service as well.

plugwash

Established Member
A lot depends on the approach of the people running the barriers, at Manchester oxford road they seem to effectively treat the wide gate as a manual barrier which works pretty well. At manchester picadilly on the other hand there is a long gateline with a handful of staff constantly moving around which can make it a pain to get their attention. My recent experiance of getting manually let through a gateline at tottenham hale was also pretty quick, but whether that was luck or a well-run gateline is another question.

Status
Not open for further replies.