• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage platform 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc-c

I believe that the intention has always been to have the line in service ready for the summer 2020 time table so as National Rail states that the 17th May is the start of the 2020 Summer timetable

The National Rail Timetable is changed in May and December each year.

The December timetable started on Sunday 15 December 2019 and operates until Saturday 16 May 2020.

First service I can see that uses platform 5 on 17th May is the 06:35 service from Alexandra Palace Arriving at 07:19

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C25400/2020-05-17/detailed

Then departs back to Alexandra Palace at 07:28

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C11478/2020-05-17/detailed

All being well I won't sleep through the alarm :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing... On the day I visited I was told 17th was planned.... guess their ahead of schedule

They've been hoping (and by looking at the progress, expecting) to get it all done early, so it's great that it has happened and no unforeseen problems have occured.

How much training do drivers need for the new platform and signalling out of interest?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think originally bustitution was threatened for 5 years. Suspect his was because there was no funding in place, rather than the amount of time needed.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I think originally bustitution was threatened for 5 years. Suspect his was because there was no funding in place, rather than the amount of time needed.

It’s been talked about for 8 years to my knowledge!

Aictos

Established Member
It’s been talked about for 8 years to my knowledge!

Indeed so does completion of the Stevenage Turnback mean the proposed reinstatement of Platform 4 at Gordon Hill won’t happen? Bearing in mind the original OHL is still intact and it’s just the track and signalling needed to be reinstated.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Indeed so does completion of the Stevenage Turnback mean the proposed reinstatement of Platform 4 at Gordon Hill won’t happen? Bearing in mind the original OHL is still intact and it’s just the track and signalling needed to be reinstated.
If that’s the “Gordon Hill turnback” it was withdrawn about 2017 or 2018 because the DfT and TOC no longer considered it necessary. It was stated in one of the enhancement plan updates.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Been watching RTT and it was due to depart Hornsey at 11:10 - Its now 11:20 and is still shown as not been activated, so guess they weren't ready to accept the train ?

Now gone live..... 11:27

Almost there!

Screenshot_2020-03-11-12-16-45-22.jpg

Made it!

Screenshot_2020-03-11-12-20-29-89.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcq

On Open Train Times 939 stayed red when 5E91 went over it and there was no route path to P5 shown.
Anyone know when it's scheduled to depart?
Just seen it depart back to Hornsey - great day!

Last edited:

malc-c

On Open Train Times 939 stayed red when 5E91 went over it and there was no route path to P5 shown.
Anyone know when it's scheduled to depart?
Just seen it depart back to Hornsey - great day!

Approaching Hornsey now https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X52351/2020-03-11/detailed

717020 had the honour of being the test train

test train.jpg

Here's the video of today's events

There were a lot of smiley face so it would seem they are happy it fits :)

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is an infrastructure & stations discussion regarding Stevenage platform 5

This covers the work that is actually happening.

People are very welcome to post ideas, suggestions and speculation regarding what changes they think might or should happen, but these do belong in Speculative Ideas. Discussion of the timetable should be posted in Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables.

adamedwards

Fab to see this train on the line. Assuming the works are finished early, this would suggest the trians could start pretty much as soon as the plaform is usable.

malc-c

I doubt it Adam. The timetables are planned well in advance, and wouldn't change if they completed the project two or three weeks early. It just means that having run this trial and checked that the infrastructure works, the clearances are right etc they can now continue with signing off that side of the project rather than fix a load of snags, and get the finishing touches to the waiting room, ticket barriers etc. Looking at what they have to do, and that the deadline is just two months, and that things are planned to tight deadlines it might be tight. My guess is that whist the station will be complete and functional, it will be a few months after before Spencers leave site and the site is clear and landscaped.

MarkyT

Established Member
Here's the video of today's events
Good video thanks. It shows definitively that signal 935 can display a red and is not plated as a distant. I don't know if the signal cleared for the inbound movement as there was a pause in the video so it's possible verbal authority to pass at red was obtained. The new platform starter didn't clear for the departure either so perhaps the revised signalling isn't fully commissioned yet.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I doubt it Adam. The timetables are planned well in advance, and wouldn't change if they completed the project two or three weeks early. It just means that having run this trial and checked that the infrastructure works, the clearances are right etc they can now continue with signing off that side of the project rather than fix a load of snags, and get the finishing touches to the waiting room, ticket barriers etc. Looking at what they have to do, and that the deadline is just two months, and that things are planned to tight deadlines it might be tight. My guess is that whist the station will be complete and functional, it will be a few months after before Spencers leave site and the site is clear and landscaped.
In fact a recent precedents exists of a very long delay at Market Harborough, the up platform’s full length looked finished to the casual observer, but there was around 6 months dithering until it was certified for use. That was almost all a straightforward section of simple platform, the technical stuff such as the lift, waiting room, footbridge, was all elsewhere...

malc-c

Good video thanks. It shows definitively that signal 935 can display a red and is not plated as a distant. I don't know if the signal cleared for the inbound movement as there was a pause in the video so it's possible verbal authority to pass at red was obtained. The new platform starter didn't clear for the departure either so perhaps the revised signalling isn't fully commissioned yet.

I received an e-mail yesterday which confirmed the signalling is not fully commissioned and the train was indeed hand signalled in

Mcq

I hope all members of this forum are well and will look after themselves.
I imagine info will be scarce, but will be welcome as and when.
Best to all

D365

Veteran Member
I hope all members of this forum are well and will look after themselves.
I imagine info will be scarce, but will be welcome as and when.

What do you mean? The last update was that platform interface testing with Class 717 units is underway. Unless there is a lack of staff to complete this testing and sign off, I would imagine that the final stage of these works will continue.

Mcq

What I meant was that some of our valuable contributors might not be able to do so.
Not that the actual works were being impacted.
Malc-c has made this forum one of the best - long may he be able to do so - thanks again malc.

D365

Veteran Member
Ah I see. I’ll agree on that point, previous contributions have been very valued but indeed, personal safety and well-being is #1.

malc-c

What I meant was that some of our valuable contributors might not be able to do so.
Not that the actual works were being impacted.
Malc-c has made this forum one of the best - long may he be able to do so - thanks again malc.

That's very kind of you, and I'm glad to have been able to document the project and that other members have found it interesting. I have no idea how the Covid-19 virus has impacted the project, but I guess that deadlines are still in place so work continues. Personally, I've self isolated for a couple of weeks after developing a cough out of nowhere which lasted a week, other than that I'm OK.

Now that the track has been tested, and most of the other track work related operations are just commissioning of equipment there is little to document other than the progress at the station. If I don't get out to document the progress, the final update will be in 8 weeks time when I hope (assuming all goes to schedule) to document the first day of commercial running.

Guys, regardless of your personal or political views on the current situation we find ourselves in, the virus or the actions imposed by the government are effecting a lot of people. I hope everyone is OK and that the knock on effects are short lived and recovery is quick.

Fred26

I've heard that the engineers are downing tools soon due to the virus outbreak.

malc-c

This from their website - posted 27/3/20

Absolutely nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our employees, partners and clients.

That’s why, having reviewed thoroughly operations at all active sites, and in consultation with our clients, we have decided to cease all operations, other than two critical infrastructure projects where a small number of employees are working and we are therefore able to ensure we continue to comply fully with safety regulations and current Government guidance.

Our head office in Hull is also effectively closing from this evening, with only a minimal, skeleton staff continuing to work there and other employees working from home. The same situation will apply to our workshop and plant base at Barrow upon Humber.

We look forward to being able to resume work on site and from our head office when circumstances allow. In the meantime, we would like to thank our staff, suppliers, sub-contractors and clients for their support and understanding during this challenging period.

InOban

Established Member
How much remains to be completed,? Still working on the stairs and lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.