• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage platform 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcq

Surely the reason the service is going from it's current 2ph to Stevenage back to busses from Watton, is the dwell time in P4 and on the ECML down slow.
Once P5 opens all's well isn't it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred26

Surely the reason the service is going from it's current 2ph to Stevenage back to busses from Watton, is the dwell time in P4 and on the ECML down slow.
Once P5 opens all's well isn't it?

Yes.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The current Watton terminators go as far as Langley Junction before crossing over to return south.

Mcq

I didn't think that currently - I.e. now and since the restricted timetable, there have been any Watton terminators - they've all gone to Stevenage P4 haven't they?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I didn't think that currently - I.e. now and since the restricted timetable, there have been any Watton terminators - they've all gone to Stevenage P4 haven't they?

That's correct as the Sunday timetable they've been running recently has sufficient time for the Hertford loop trains to go to platform 4 and reverse. From next week when a more normal timetable is back there's not time to do this so the Watton terminators are back with a replecement bus.

malc-c

A small update

Most of the work is being done to the station infrastructure, but still some landscaping being undertaken at the other end.

Mcq

Hi malc-c
Thanks a lot for the video - clearly things are happening on P5 - even on a Saturday.

Mcq

So there we are then, a weekday service which is worse than the Sunday service.
Still only 2tph but now they only go to Watton!
Role on Stevenage P5

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
P5 should have come into use yesterday (17th May). Sadly delayed for a few weeks by the virus but it'll be worth the wait.

Mcq

Yes I know - agreed.
Fortunately malc-c has his lense to the ground!

jon0844

Veteran Member
So there we are then, a weekday service which is worse than the Sunday service.
Still only 2tph but now they only go to Watton!
Role on Stevenage P5

Unfortunately there couldn't really be any alternative. Until Covid-19 showed up, it seemed likely the platform was going to be all finished ahead of schedule.

Mcq

Anyone know what's happening evenings this week on HN route - last night it was Langley to Stevenage P4

Mcq

Given how up-to-date and excellent this forum has been, can anyone point me to an active current one for Kings X Uncrossed please?
I can only find one and it doesn't report any activity despite posessions of lots of platforms and parts of Belle Isle most nights.
Thanks in advance.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Anyone know what's happening evenings this week on HN route - last night it was Langley to Stevenage P4

No idea but work is continuing on the new platform. I was in the area last week and several workmen on site, platform seems physically complete, waiting shelters and lighting in place. Work seems to be concentrating on the link bridge and walkway and electrical works.

Hopefully it won't be long now.

Mcq

Thanks thealm - I've seen this, but nothing after your post in April - surely things have been happening since then?
Is it just how difficult it is to get a contact - such as malc-c has with the Stevenage P5 folk?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks thealm - I've seen this, but nothing after your post in April - surely things have been happening since then?
Is it just how difficult it is to get a contact - such as malc-c has with the Stevenage P5 folk?
I’d expect a lot of the work so far is within the tunnels. Very different scenario to the relatively easily accessible new build at Stevenage.

malc-c

Guys, here's a small update.

Not a lot has changed. Landscaping continues at the junction end, possibly the foundations for a new access road ?? Most of the infrastructure on the new platform is in place. The ticket barriers have yet to go in, but other than that seems a lot of the work left is small tasks and finishing touches.

Class315

Guys, here's a small update.

Not a lot has changed. Landscaping continues at the junction end, possibly the foundations for a new access road ?? Most of the infrastructure on the new platform is in place. The ticket barriers have yet to go in, but other than that seems a lot of the work left is small tasks and finishing touches.

I worked a late night train and early morning train this morning & the platform lighting columns were lit, the stairs and waiting rooms were lit. As well as a few S&T technicians doing work from the possession limits to the buffers.

Great Video Malc-c!

malc-c

I worked a late night train and early morning train this morning & the platform lighting columns were lit, the stairs and waiting rooms were lit. As well as a few S&T technicians doing work from the possession limits to the buffers.

Great Video Malc-c!

Thanks for confirming the lighting is operational. I did get the feeling that they are not that far off completion. No doubt there will probably be a snagging period when operational, but seeing that (AFAIK) most of the Spencer workforce are still furloughed the skeleton workforce have done really well.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Platform signage now in place (FCC style to match the rest of the station)
PIS screens in place and working
Platform surfaces look finished
Gateline installed and wrapped in protective in wrap

Can't be much longer.

Fred26

Platform signage now in place (FCC style to match the rest of the station)
PIS screens in place and working
Platform surfaces look finished
Gateline installed and wrapped in protective in wrap

Can't be much longer.

I believe that the platform is due to open in August.
However, trains will start running in and out empty due to problems with freight trains and drivers' diagrams - as the new platform was supposed to be finished for the May timetable, freight diagrams have been adjusted. Since the ex-Moorgate services can't use P5 the freight trains can't pass, so they are delayed.
Again, the drivers' had their diagrams changed based on what should have happened. They're supposed to be having PNBs at Stevenage.

Take it with a pinch of salt, as that's what I've heard, indirectly.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looks like they'll be finished before August given how far it seems to have progressed in the last couple of weeks. It would be a little but silly if the platform was finished and trains ran in and out empty with passengers being transported on replacement buses.

malc-c

I've been trying to obtain information on the progress they are making, and if there is any update on when the platform is likely to come into service, but so far with the majority of the office staff still furloughed my emails are not being replied to.

As soon as I hear anything it will be posted here....

malc-c

Checking Realtime Trains for each day has this listed for 22nd June 2020 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X18053/2020-06-22/detailed but that's a one off movement. The first train into the station that seems to form part of the timetable is this https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W61852/2020-06-22/detailed - There are regular services terminating and departing platform 5 daily from 22nd June... but nothing before this date is showing platform 5 as being the designated route.

Again, I can't confirm or deny that this will actually happen, and may simply be a "target" rather than "confirmed" entry

Mcq

I was going to suggest that the return to service after next weekend's full Kings X shutdown would seem opportune if feasible.

adamedwards

Looking at the video, is the floor surface in around the barriers now? Trip hazards would of course stop opening, but leaving the barriers open would not.

Checking Realtime Trains for each day has this listed for 22nd June 2020 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X18053/2020-06-22/detailed but that's a one off movement. The first train into the station that seems to form part of the timetable is this https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W61852/2020-06-22/detailed - There are regular services terminating and departing platform 5 daily from 22nd June... but nothing before this date is showing platform 5 as being the designated route.

Again, I can't confirm or deny that this will actually happen, and may simply be a "target" rather than "confirmed" entry

There is an ECS move shown this Friday evening https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X01207/2020-06-18/detailed northbound and https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X01208/2020-06-19/detailed southbound. If this runs, will it be the first train using platform 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.