• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage platform waiting rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakerbloke

I was at Stevenage today waiting for a connection. While having a light snooze in the not-so-comfortable waiting room a passing EC train caused the doors of the room to bang violently against the frames. They did this for every passing fast train. Have sliding doors never been considered given the amount of people who change here between EC and FCC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Along with the platform extensions that are coming up this year, I think the platforms are having refurbishment work done too, this may bring change to the waiting rooms etc.

LE Greys

Established Member
Yes, those waiting rooms are pretty rubbish. What's really needed are canopies at least the same length as an 8-coach Networker formation plus windbreaks, this would space the passengers out rather than having them huddle at the bottom of the stairs on any day with bad weather. Not so sure we need extensions, I think a 12-coach formation fits in the platform anyway, a Regional Eurostar overhangs the ends by 1 coach (from memory).

philjo

Established Member
Yes, those waiting room doors can slam when a train goes through.
At least those shelters have now gone up further down the platforms.

I recall reading somewhere that the extensions are needed for the IEP as those trains are slightly longer.

Also I think the DOO equipment is not at the end of the platforms so can't currently be used to dispatch 12 car trains (particularly for platform 2 where there is a regular 12 car FCC service in the morning peak) so this needs moving to the platform ends.

34D

Established Member
Also I think the DOO equipment is not at the end of the platforms so can't currently be used to dispatch 12 car trains (particularly for platform 2 where there is a regular 12 car FCC service in the morning peak) so this needs moving to the platform ends.

The 12 coach services (up call Stevenage, down at Hitchin) are manually dispatched at both.

Status
Not open for further replies.