• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage to Corbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
I may need to travel from Stevenage to Corbridge next month. travel Out on a Monday morning (peak), return 2 days later mid-afternoon.
I know which train I would need to travel north (07:50 SVG to Newcastle), but not sure what train I can get on the return - depends when the meeting finishes
The anytime return is £253 !!

Any suggestions for splitting the ticket - I assume Peterborough/grantham or york as most trains stop there. (on checking, 1 of the possible return trains does not stop at Peterborough but they both stop at Grantham)
As I know which train I need to travel north, I might get an advance northbound & an offpeak single for the return.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
not sure what train I can get on the return - depends when the meeting finishes ... (on checking, 1 of the possible return trains does not stop at Peterborough but they both stop at Grantham)
I think this is a case for Advance tickets rather than splitting.

Splitting
SOR Stevenage - Grantham route Not London £83
SVR Grantham - Corbridge £75.50 (OUT M-F not 01:15-04:00, RTN any train)
Total £158.50

Advance tickets
Taking am Mon 7 Sep - pm Wed 9 Sep as an example,
Mon 0750 Stevenage - Corbridge 1126 £29.50
Wed 1346 Corbridge - Stevenage 1734 £29.50
Wed 1446 Corbridge - Stevenage 1842 £29.50 (buy both and throw one away)
Total £88.50

John

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
Depart Newcastle 14:55 or 15:55
(15:55 is the most likely)

clagmonster

Established Member
In that case, you could get an open single for your outbound (£126.50), then a super saver single for your return (£95.50). This would bring the total to £222.
Alternatively, buy a supersaver return for £96.50, then you can excess the outward portion to an open ticket for half the difference between the cost of an open return and a supersaver return. This excess would cost £78.25, giving you a total cost of £174.75

John @ home

Established Member
Depart Newcastle 14:55 or 15:55
(15:55 is the most likely)
I think this is a case for Advance tickets rather than splitting.

Splitting
SOR Stevenage - Grantham route Not London £83
SVR Grantham - Corbridge £75.50 (OUT M-F not 01:15-04:00, RTN any train)
Total £158.50

Advance tickets
Taking am Mon 7 Sep - pm Wed 9 Sep as an example,
Mon 0750 Stevenage - Corbridge 1126 £29.50
Wed 1346 Corbridge - Stevenage 1734 £29.50
Wed 1446 Corbridge - Stevenage 1842 £29.50 (buy both and throw one away)
Total £88.50

John

OwlMan

Established Member
I would buy advance tickets but if you want flexible try the following

SO Single Stevenage - Peterboro 25-50
SAV Return Peterboro - Corbridge 89-00 (Code 8E valid after 4am)
SS Single P'boro - Stevenage 18-90

Total 133-40

If you get the train not stopping at Peterborough you will need a SS Single from Grantham instead (36-00) (You should be able to excess your SSS from Peterborough at Newcastle ticket office if needed)

Peter

A60K

A quick thought, as I don't have fares manuals to hand - would Stevenage to Gretna Green (or somewhere else in Scotland) be legal and advantageous?

krus_aragon

Established Member
A quick thought, as I don't have fares manuals to hand - would Stevenage to Gretna Green (or somewhere else in Scotland) be legal and advantageous?

Those seem to offer savers with no time restrictions, but disallow break of journey.

If you really want the flexibility, £114 for a Southend-Corbridge SVR (not London) has validity code 8E, which says "valid except on departures between 01:15 and 04:00 inclusive", and allows break of journey.

The routeing guide for Southend-Newcastle (passes fare check rule) is LONDON, but there is a route avoiding London terminals using map TS (Southend-London) to Highbury & Islington, then map EE (London-Newcastle) continues through Stevenage and up the ECML. So it's perfectly valid for travel from Stevenage.

jamboree

Found on splitfare .co.uk

Departure Train on 07 Sep Calls At :-

07:50 Stevenage
08:21 Peterborough
08:45 Grantham
09:17 Doncaster
09:42 York
10:12 Darlington
10:54 Newcastle *
11:02 Metrocentre
11:10 Wylam
11:14 Prudhoe
11:18 Stocksfield
11:23 Riding Mill
11:26 Corbridge
* - denotes a change of leg

Journey Time 3:36

Returning Train on 09 Sep Calls At :-

13:46 Corbridge
13:51 Riding Mill
13:55 Stocksfield
14:00 Prudhoe
14:04 Wylam
14:15 Metrocentre
14:55 Newcastle *
15:07 Durham
15:25 Darlington
15:54 York
16:44 Grantham
17:04 Peterborough
17:34 Stevenage
* - denotes a change of leg

Journey Time 3:48

Normal Price = £253.00
SplitFare Price = £140.00

Stevenage Peterborough Anytime Return £51.00
Peterborough Corbridge Off Peak £89.00

SplitFare Price £140.00

Saving you £113.00, that's 44.66% off

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Alternatively, buy a supersaver return for £96.50, then you can excess the outward portion to an open ticket for half the difference between the cost of an open return and a supersaver return. This excess would cost £78.25, giving you a total cost of £174.75
No, you can't. Well, they may issue it incorrectly at that price, but you officially cannot excess half a ticket in that way. Half the ticket should apply for route and over-distance excesses (but some machines overcharge), it should not apply for changing type (but perhaps some machines undercharge, I do not know).

clagmonster

Established Member
My appologies, I got some printed pages mixed up. Sorry if I have caused any confusion.

philjo

Established Member
Thank you for your various suggestions.
I will know early next week if I need to do this journey, so will look then what the advance fares are - as it is only 1 hour extra to wait at Newcastle for the later train, I might opt for advanced fares on this occasion, depending on what the fares are when I come to book next week.

Alternatively, I'll get a SVR from Peterborough with separate tickets at this end. I looked at singles back from grantham in case I was on the later train that doesn't stop at PBO.

There is an off-peak day single (grantham-SVG) that is £25.60
the anytime single SVG to Peterborough for outward journey is £25.50
So this total is only 10p more than the £51 anytime return for SVG-PBO.

One odd thing I found - If I try to book to Hexham on the NXEC site & select the slower routes including Route Carlisle, I get offered a much cheaper off-peak return fare that says via Carlisle if you hover the mouse over that fare option, but it lets you select a journey option for that fare on the NXEC SGV-NCL train !! I take it that the actual ticket will say route Carlisle on it so isn't actually valid on the train that would let you book a seat on! (Obviously I didn't go through the booking whole process so it might have come up in an error message later on!)

Many thanks,
Jeremy

t0ffeeman

An SOR from Arlesey to Brampton (Cumbria)- a few stops further is £136, priced by XC
From Hitchin/Stevenage its £258 priced by NXEC!

philjo

Established Member
An SOR from Arlesey to Brampton (Cumbria)- a few stops further is £136, priced by XC

I assume that from Arlesey it does not allow doubling back via Stevenage, so you have to use FCC to Peterborough. As NXEC don't stop there :D then therefore can't combine tickets at Arlesey & use NXEC from Stevenage!
Fares from Hitchin to the north (& those from Cambridge line stations) are valid via Stevenage.

why priced by XC when you would not use XC services? (use FCC to Peterborough then NXEC to Newcastle & then Northern)

t0ffeeman

I think you're supposed to go via Nuneaton & Carlisle or Manchester & Carlisle or Leeds. I always go via Newcastle!! Has to be a valid route. This is why Virgin have that Route Carlisle for Hexham.

In short, fares from the ECML north of Hitchin to Lancs & Cumbria(priced by XC or EMT) are cheaper than to W Yorks & Northumberland(priced by NXEC). Fares south of Hitchin are priced by NXEC so no anomaly.

You'd have to catch FCC to PBO but I can't see that as too much of a problem.

philjo

Established Member

Just found this: Arlesey to Hexham: SVR is £96.20 priced by XEC
Validity code 8E !!!!

OwlMan

Established Member
Just found this: Arlesey to Hexham: SVR is £96.20 priced by XEC
Validity code 8E !!!!

Trouble is you will have to get the 0646 to catch the 0710 from Peterborough and you will need to change at Peterborough on the way back to stop at Arlesley. also there is the cost of 2 singles to cover the travel from Arlesley (£7-40)

Peter

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Fares from Hitchin to the north (& those from Cambridge line stations) are valid via Stevenage.
I don't think that tickets from Hitchin to the North are officially valid via Stevenage. I agree they'll be accepted, but I am not aware of an easement that allows it?

Of course, Letchworth (or beyond) to Arlesey (or beyond) is indeed valid via Stevenage due to the Group Stations rule.

Interestingly, a customer from Arlesey to Stevenage can save money by buying to Letchworth and breaking the journey at Stevenage if purchasing any ticket type except CDR.

OwlMan

Established Member
I don't think that tickets from Hitchin to the North are officially valid via Stevenage. I agree they'll be accepted, but I am not aware of an easement that allows it?

Of course, Letchworth (or beyond) to Arlesey (or beyond) is indeed valid via Stevenage due to the Group Stations rule.

Interestingly, a customer from Arlesey to Stevenage can save money by buying to Letchworth and breaking the journey at Stevenage if purchasing any ticket type except CDR.

There is an easement in the current NRG
000064 Passengers from Baldock, Letchworth or Hitchin to Peterborough and stations beyond Peterborough may go via Stevenage. This applies in both directions

Peter

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is an easement in the current NRG
000064 Passengers from Baldock, Letchworth or Hitchin to Peterborough and stations beyond Peterborough may go via Stevenage. This applies in both directions

Peter
Strange, as from all the named stations except Hitchin you can go via Stevenage if you are going to anywhere North - not just "to Peterborough and stations beyond Peterborough". They can deny Hitchin to Huntingdon via Stevenage, but they cannot deny Letchworth to Huntingdon via Stevenage!

OwlMan

Established Member
Strange, as from all the named stations except Hitchin you can go via Stevenage if you are going to anywhere North - not just "to Peterborough and stations beyond Peterborough". They can deny Hitchin to Huntingdon via Stevenage, but they cannot deny Letchworth to Huntingdon via Stevenage!

Well you don't expect the NRG to be logical (or even correct:lol:) do you?:roll:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well you don't expect the NRG to be logical (or even correct:lol:) do you?:roll:
I should expect it, but given the fact that hardly anyone at ATOC understands it, and insufficient controls are put in place to ensure that appropriately knowledgeable people of better than average intelligence contribute toward it, and also given that they are failing to comply with the Ticketing & Settlement Agreement, then no, I don't expect it to be anything other than the utter mess that it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.