• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stock cleaning policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
On all the Chinese long distance services I travelled on a cleaner walks through the train multiple times mopping the floor, cleaning toilets and picking any litter. One is carried in each unit if made up of 2 x EMUs.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Totally disagree. Certainly at Liverpool Lime Street the Northern cleaners are very good.
The worst I have found is London Midland trains passing in and out of Birmingham New Street.

They're very hit and miss. I travelled from Wakefield to St Anne's on 19th July, all by Northern.

Train to Leeds was busy and had a coffee cup and sweet wrapper on the seat. A fellow passenger mentioned it to the female guard who just looked at it said "Yeah", and then carried on looking into thin air. I supposed he could have moved it himself, but as a paying passenger why should he?

I got to Blackpool and cleaning staff were there ready. Blackpool on the odd occasion I go seems on the ball for cleaning, as does Carlisle. The PACER I got at 2.24pm from St Anne's to Colne was disgusting. Litter everywhere, including empty Stella cans in abundance.

Northern's cleaning is hit and miss with very little structure to it, except at Blackpool and Carlisle. Bad lines like the Leeds to Doncaster line don't seem to get touched, and it's not as if there aren't the staff. I've seen many a train in Leeds get cleaned on turnaround.

In the case of train guards doing their bit, well I know cries of "it's not my job" will start ringing out, but I have seen SOME Northern guards clearning litter. It's a pity not all can be bothered. National Express DRIVERS have to do it before their services so this health and safety risk I don't buy.

What "may" be helpful is on board messages every so often saying "In order to keep the train exactly as you'd wish to find it, please use the litter bins provided. These are located xxx ". Just a thought.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I found it. That train didn't look too bad, and the table, well could that be plastic coming off? I couldn't see too much of it.

Your breakfast looked OK and all that for £16.50.

The train looked knackered. The "1" on the outside of the carriage looked partly burned off, and the table had the plastic peeling off as you say. The problem when that happens is you get rough edges and grime will accumulate very quickly (probably didn't come out well in the vid). If you don't clean them regularly you get that tatty and worn look rather fast.

There are a few dud 390s about. The one in the video is one of the worst. On the other hand, there are some almost spotless ones which are a credit to the industry (and not necessarily the new ones that came in with the extension programme).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
3 - Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch, Yummy!

But the only proper meal would be breakfast, I think. The other two aren't really meals but a token hospitality service.

anti-pacer

Established Member
no it isn't! try some of the London commuter services - you could surf out of the train at times on Standards, Metros, coffee cups and bottles. There is only so much bin capacity!

But a lot of the bins stay empty because people look down the carriage for them, can't see them, so make no attempt to go and find them.

Also, your trains may be dirtier per journey but I'm sure each one gets a litter pick at its destination.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
But a lot of the bins stay empty because people look down the carriage for them, can't see them, so make no attempt to go and find them.

Also, your trains may be dirtier per journey but I'm sure each one gets a litter pick at its destination.

they honestly don't! Often on the busier commuter trains (SWT/GTR/SE) the bins are full because the train hasn't been cleaned all day. I think they will only be cleaned once they get back to the depot

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think the train presentation teams at King's Cross for GN do a very good job. I was amazed on a recent Virgin trip to Stevenage that the floor was messy, there was a bottle of empty drink on a window seat and an open, half finished, pack of crisps behind the seat back table.

I assumed Virgin maintained high standards, and the train wasn't late so having to be turned around quickly which I would have understood.

It wasn't enough for me to complain but just make a mental note for future planning!

anti-pacer

Established Member
Do Merseyrail do on-board litter picks or turnaround, or neither?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anybody seen litter collector's on Merseyrail?

Aws87024

Do their trains get very dirty then and stay like that until depot cleaning?

There must be some cleaners about, the trains iv used haven't been covered in litter or in any serious mess, just the usual coffee cups, odd coke can, ect.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
On ATW trains along the Marches, cleaners travel between and Ludlow and Shrewsbury. They are very good, wipe tables and pick up everything. Unless anything has altered, the trains are not so clean on Sundays, presumably to avoid paying them.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I wonder if there's any TOC's that don't do turnaround or on-board cleaning.

TH172341

London Midland are pretty decent on the Snow Hill line - at Dorridge there's usually a very diligent cleaner who travels between there and Widney Manor/Solihull to do a clean in the off peak period.

childwallblues

Established Member
I guess the cleanliness would depend on the length of a train, so for example a wee 2 car pacer wouldn't take long to clean, but an 11 car Pendo would take much longer during turnaround. I guess that the priority during turnaround would be reservations, shop restocking and boarding, not cleaning.
Reservations are computerised so do not need a person walking through the train. If the computer is not working there are no reservations!

childwallblues

Established Member
Reservations are computerised so do not need a person walking through the train. If the computer is not working there are no reservations!

No reservations on 1807 EUS-LIV last night leading to passenger complaints. The train was however spotless, not like the Javelin that we boarded at Stratford at 1700 that had chewing gum on one seat cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.