• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stock transfers you would like to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

But you said you thought that they weren't suitable becuase they were dual voltage.

I'm confused as to what you're defending, you were clearly making an unjustified and slightly irrational comment.

I'm confused as to why you care. I made a mistake about a train, big deal. So basically dual voltage trains are better for operating long distances? Are the 350/3s going to be dual voltage?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave_wm

They aren't any better, it makes no difference whatsoever, other than perhaps the tiny amount of added weight from the third rail equipment. But this will make no discernable difference whatsoever, its just more expensive (presumably) to fit trains for dual-voltage operation, and there's not a lot of point when there isn't much of a chance of them using it, so its unlikely the 350/3s will be.

The 350/1s were only dual voltage because they were originally ordered as further 450s for South West Trains before being diverted, with 25kV overhead equipment added into the order.

The modern families of EMUs are generally very easy to convert between 25kV AC, 750V DC (third rail) and dual-voltage use; all the Electrostar family and Desiro family have Pantograph wells fitted, even if they aren't used for anything. (See this shot of a 750V DC only Class 375, the third carriage http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:375915_at_Tonbridge_(2).jpg) - the only alteration would be that you'd need to fit a pantograph or third rail shoe and mounting, and install some new software onto the electric systems.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.