• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport/Hazel Grove Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

Found the following on National Rail website:

Overhead wire problems are causing disruption near Woodsmoor.

Because of this, buses are replacing trains between Stockport and Hazel Grove / Buxton, with journey times extended by up to 45 minutes. Some trains betweem Manchester and Sheffield will be diverted via Romiley. This will continue until further notice.

East Midlands Trains passengers may use Northern Rail services on all reasonable routes, East Coast trains between Leeds and Peterborough and First TransPennine Express services between Manchester Piccadilly and York via Leeds

I wonder what's caused the problem only correct me if I'm wrong but not many EMUs actually use the Stockport-Hazel Grove line these days

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tom1649

There's just one EMU a day now to Hazel Grove, I assume to keep the equipment in working order. It's 19.22 from Manchester Piccadilly which returns from Hazel Grove as ECS by the looks of it.

It seems such a waste of electrification. Will the forthcoming Lancashire electrification enable Hazel Grove to resume a regular electric service?

DazDude

Found the following on National Rail website:

Overhead wire problems are causing disruption near Woodsmoor.

Because of this, buses are replacing trains between Stockport and Hazel Grove / Buxton, with journey times extended by up to 45 minutes. Some trains betweem Manchester and Sheffield will be diverted via Romiley. This will continue until further notice.

East Midlands Trains passengers may use Northern Rail services on all reasonable routes, East Coast trains between Leeds and Peterborough and First TransPennine Express services between Manchester Piccadilly and York via Leeds

I wonder what's caused the problem only correct me if I'm wrong but not many EMUs actually use the Stockport-Hazel Grove line these days

National Rail only giving half the story that's why...:roll:
Cause of the problem was a Tree had fallen on the line and brought down the overhead cables in the process. As I was at Stockport station yesterday afternoon when they were informed about it.

kjhskj75

There's just one EMU a day now to Hazel Grove, I assume to keep the equipment in working order. It's 19.22 from Manchester Piccadilly which returns from Hazel Grove as ECS by the looks of it.

It seems such a waste of electrification. Will the forthcoming Lancashire electrification enable Hazel Grove to resume a regular electric service?

I think Northern Rail have a shortage of EMUs. Currently most trains from Hazel Grove go to Preston, and that route will be fully wired in future.

tom1649

I think Northern Rail have a shortage of EMUs. Currently most trains from Hazel Grove go to Preston, and that route will be fully wired in future.

They do have a shortage. Longsight was never provided with enough 323s. If it weren't for the Mk1 ban I'd like to think that the wonderful 309s would have survived a bit longer. Until 2000, five such units were retained to provide cover for unavailable 323s. I believe a couple of 305s were retained for use on rare occasions until a similar time as well (often when the Manchester United service was running).

pemma

Veteran Member

More to do with retaining crew knowledge of turning an EMU around at Hazel Grove, same reason why there is one EMU a day starting at Deansgate. The wires are Network Rail's responsibility, crew knowledge is Northern's.

It is only a few miles of wires that aren't used properly and they were used properly for a number of years so probably have justified their expense.

Northern were due to get around 70 EMU vehicles as class 323 replacement and for extra electric services but that proposed order disappeared in to thin air. With there being an EMU shortage Northern opted for Hazel Grove-Preston DMU services over Buxton or Chester to Preston DMU services as it is a shorter distance which is less likely to incur delays.

Last edited by a moderator:

lancastrian

Surely Hazel Grove would be a great starting point in electrifying the Manchester to Sheffield route (Hope Valley) to link with the MML electrification.

tom1649

Surely Hazel Grove would be a great starting point in electrifying the Manchester to Sheffield route (Hope Valley) to link with the MML electrification.

It would, you're right. I'm sure it'll happen one day and it'll be good to see the Hazel Grove wiring serve a useful purpose again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.