• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport house for sale: ...four trains in the garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

table38

Established Member
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1594541_stockport-house-for-sale-two-beds-bathroom-kitchen--and-four-trains-in-the-garden

Mel Thorley is hoping a railway enthusiast will snap up his house on Buttercup Drive, Adswood – AKA Riverside Station – which comes complete with four train engines weighing 20 tons in the garden.

It has two bedrooms, a large garden and would be every inch the perfect family home – if it didn’t have four railway engines parked on the back lawn.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonfun

Established Member
That's 75 grand without the back garden though - I don't blame people for deciding against it if he's saying he'll sell the house but retain ownership of the back garden! If it was a realistic price with the 'garden furniture' in place then I don't doubt he'd find a few takers, but I suppose quite fairly he wants to keep ownership of the train stuff.

OuterDistant

Oh, so that's where that is! I knew I wasn't seeing things.

Looks to be not too far from a house at Cheadle Hulme that used to always have a front garden full of Rover P6es.

Harbon 1

What happened to the door of the '50? Looks like it was going to be entered into a race of some sort!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On a serious note, I'd have it, with my experience of living next to the b'ham derby it'd feel like home straight away :)

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
go past his house quite a few times a day, can't really blame anyone after seeing those 4 rusted hulks of scrap in the back.

Johnuk123

Established Member
I wouldn't think even the most ardent rail enthusiast would want to buy a house with a load of scrap in the garden.

michael769

Established Member
Good opportunity for a community payback scheme for metal thieves.

Get them to cut the scrap up and package it for collection by a scrappie - proceeds to go into targeted enforcement action on the problem.

Phil6219

What happened to the door of the '50? Looks like it was going to be entered into a race of some sort!

Going off the nameplate it is D446 / 50046 "Ajax", the door is painted in the home colours of Ajax Football Club.

I always used to like passing this house. It would be nice to have but it's a shame that there isn't really enough good stuff passing for there to be a market for spotters.

Phil 8-)

John Webb

Established Member
I think the house was seen in one of Michael Portillo's first series of train journeys - the 'locos' are in fact just the cabs, not complete locos.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I wouldn't think even the most ardent rail enthusiast would want to buy a house with a load of scrap in the garden.
That's not "a load of scrap" to many railway enthusiasts by any means. It's not something that I could ever see the point of taking on personally, but even I can understand the wish to get them properly sealed and weatherproofed, sanded down, painted up in more authentic liveries and finally given a couple of coats of varnish, if they are there anyway,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think the house was seen in one of Michael Portillo's first series of train journeys - the 'locos' are in fact just the cabs, not complete locos.
That is apparent just from looking at the pictures in the article, and if they were complete locos then the visible class 25 and class 50 alone (The other cabs are from a 47 and a 45, if anyone is wondering) would weigh in at far more than just 20 tonnes. ;)

Last edited:

yummy125

This is from the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...engines-garden-amazed-t-buyer-knock-semi.html

article-0-16385C74000005DC-147_634x422.jpg

article-0-16385BC2000005DC-3_634x422.jpg

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Go past his house quite a few times a day, can't really blame anyone after seeing those 4 rusted hulks of scrap in the back.

Glad to see someone with local knowledge. I have a feeling that this house is on the Bridge Hall estate in the Adswood area, that was built in a triangular shaped portion of land with rail tracks around the estate.

The Bridge Hall estate is not highly sought after as are other parts of Stockport, such as Bramhall or Woodford, hence the low house prices of property on the market in that area.

table38

Established Member
"Interestingly" most of the loco cabs seem to have now been removed from the aforementioned back gardens

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
"Interestingly" most of the loco cabs seem to have now been removed from the aforementioned back gardens

Being on the Bridge Hall Estate, it may have come to the attention of the local unofficial "metal recyclers" (<() who would see this extra source of metal supply to supplement their thriving unofficial "cast-iron gully covers removal" businesses.....:D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.